aliens

Author Topic: [ENEMIES] Men in Black 4.5 | Cover 2.3.2 | Gazer 1.9.1 | Anthropod 1.5.2  (Read 155310 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: [ENEMY] Men in Black 3.8 | Cover Alien 2.1 | Gazer Alien 1.4
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2014, 11:00:44 am »
Robin, a question about the MiB ruleset. As an example you have:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_NORTH_AMERICA
    missionWeights:
      STR_MIB_COVERUP: 25
      STR_MIB_TERROR: 12
      STR_MIB_BASE: 6

Doesn't this remove the vanilla alien missions since you didn't include them in the mod?

I.. actually don't know. I thought I was adding them to the ones already existing in Xcom1Ruleset, especially because during my testing I kept having lots of alien missions.

We should ask the devs. I want also to know how to "disable" missionWeights on Xcom1Ruleset from my mod, like: by putting "STR_ALIEN_RESEARCH: 0" in my mod, should I be able to "disable" the vanilla alien research mission? Is there another (better) way to do it?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »
The mod ruleset only overwrites what's in it, all the rest is taken from the Xcom1Ruleset (and any other enabled rulesets, in priority order). So these mission weights are just added to the already existing ones. The way to disable mission/race is either setting the weight to 0 or using the delete command (but some missions/races are still hardcoded to appear, disabling research, terror, retal, infiltration, alien base or alien base supply is probably going to cause trouble). The only things that aren't checked piecemail are lists (stuff that starts with -, like in Alien Origins research topic); redefining a list replaces the whole list.

Example: to change the cost of a pistol, you just need to write:
items:
  - type: STR_PISTOL
    costBuy: 5500
all the other, mising info on the pistol will be taken from the base ruleset.

and delete command:
research:
  - delete: STR_LASER_WEAPONS

Always check what your new stuff takes from the base ruleset/other mods! Else you're in for nasty surprises :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:14:41 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »
The mod ruleset only overwrites what's in it, all the rest is taken from the Xcom1Ruleset (and any other enabled rulesets, in priority order). So these mission weights are just added to the already existing ones.

This is my understanding as well but after playing a few games using the Terrain Pack where I add 2 new missions, I started noticing that it appears that only Alien Terror, Infiltration and Retaliation missions, and the 2 new missions, are being generated.

In your example of the Pistol is correct that the game will get the missing info from the base ruleset, but in the example of missions the game doesn't need to get any additional info from the base ruleset since the modded ruleset contains missionWeight values. 

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 03:50:13 pm »
Hmm, so that's how it works... Probably. All this hard-coded stuff makes it kind of hard to track what mission is disabled - and having little knowledge of it when I started modding (and observing what I though to be erratic responses to my changes in Mission Weights) I've just assumed it's better to include all original missions anyway, to stay on the safe side, so my actual experience is slight. Also, you should be getting a single Alien Research in the first month as well - it's supposedly hard-coded.

Getting back to original topic - Terror, Retal and Infiltration could still appear as what Robin describes as "lots of alien missions"... I talked with Solar about the MiB mod and he was saying something about having to do MiB missions all the time, with alien missions being a minority...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:57:56 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2014, 04:45:24 pm »
Hmm, so that's how it works... Probably. All this hard-coded stuff makes it kind of hard to track what mission is disabled - and having little knowledge of it when I started modding (and observing what I though to be erratic responses to my changes in Mission Weights) I've just assumed it's better to include all original missions anyway, to stay on the safe side, so my actual experience is slight. Also, you should be getting a single Alien Research in the first month as well - it's supposedly hard-coded.

Getting back to original topic - Terror, Retal and Infiltration could still appear as what Robin describes as "lots of alien missions"... I talked with Solar about the MiB mod and he was saying something about having to do MiB missions all the time, with alien missions being a minority...

I also knew little when I created the new alien missions so I looked into the MiB and adapted a lot of the ruleset. That's why I asked robin if he knew anything about this issue since he'd also be experiencing the same effects I am (no Base, Infiltration, Research, etc. missions chosen randomly).

To keep it on the safe site, I'll re-add those standard missions to my ruleset.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
up because new alien race added.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
A new Wonder for OXC !
Thanks Robin

Offline ex0

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
The Anthropod/Sppiter aliens fit in very well in the game. I played a few quick battles and they're quite fun to play against. Really great quality, hope to see even more of your stuff.  ;)

A few strings for the Sppiters are declared under a different name in extraStrings then in items and don't display in the game properly though.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
robin, great work! there are a couple of typos on the ufopaedia text:

STR_ANTHROPOD_UFOPAEDIA: The respiratory system is rudimentary
     STR_SPITTER_AUTOPSY_UFOPAEDIA: It also has a very resistant carapace.

I don't suppose you'd like to recreate the Popper from Apocalypse as well? I still cringe whenever I see one of them running towards my troopers before self detonating...

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
I don't suppose you'd like to recreate the Popper from Apocalypse as well?
You don't suppose but you ask anyway...
I don't suppose and don't ask, because I'm sure Robin will not resist to it

But for the moment, Robin, thanks a lot for this new alien race  :)

Offline Muukalainen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Looks nice. Thanks for making.

Why you put them all in the same thread? I almost missed this, but noticed it on the mod site.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Why you put them all in the same thread? I almost missed this, but noticed it on the mod site.
Do not disturb him, let him making us an army of terrifying aliens  ;D

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
A few strings for the Sppiters are declared under a different name in extraStrings then in items and don't display in the game properly though.
fixed, hopefully

robin, great work! there are a couple of typos on the ufopaedia text:

STR_ANTHROPOD_UFOPAEDIA: The respiratory system is rudimentary
     STR_SPITTER_AUTOPSY_UFOPAEDIA: It also has a very resistant carapace.

I don't suppose you'd like to recreate the Popper from Apocalypse as well? I still cringe whenever I see one of them running towards my troopers before self detonating...

[img]https://ufopedia.csignal.org/apocapedia/219.png[img]
typos fixed!

When some time ago I tried to have my Cybermites do what Poppers do (walk to someone and explode), it couldn't be done/I couldn't make it work. So Poppers are not planned right now.

I prefer having everything in one place :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:16:29 pm by robin »

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Amazing work, as usual :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Amazing work, as usual :D

Goddamit, it is.

Each consecutive work from you is better and better. The Waspites were already very professional, but you've managed to progress beyond that point.

Now, as always, I would like to include this race in the FMP. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:27:29 pm by Solarius Scorch »