Author Topic: Custom Difficulty  (Read 2622 times)

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Custom Difficulty
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:06:04 am »
I was originally hoping to tackle this as an intro programming project, but I don't see why someone else can't implement it first and I can still poke with it. (I like bullet points, so bear with me please.)

Okay, idea: Custom Difficulty setting.

Option during new game that allows control over:

- Alien Stats +/-
- Rookie Stats +/-
- Alien Battlescape aggression +/-
- Alien Geoscape mission frequency +/-
- Average Mission Map size +/- (like, between 4 and 8 or something)
- Starting Funds +/-
- Council curmudgeonedliness +/- (How harshly they grade you)
- Research time +/-
- Manufacture time +/-
- Facilities costs +/-
- Maintenance costs +/-
- Elerium decay
- Alien deployment sizes +/-
- Mixed alien deployments?
- Wound recovery times
- Craft repair times
etc.

Generally, in-depth control of things that you may not want a Ruleset for (because you are playing multiple games and don't want to switch it on and off)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:39:20 am »
I was originally hoping to tackle this as an intro programming project, but I don't see why someone else can't implement it first and I can still poke with it.

This kind of source-mod would not be "challenging", but it would be time consuming and dull. A lot of time would be spent looking through the code to find the correct spot to add this line or that line. I know from doing my commendations mod that it's not exactly fun looking for the correct line of code to tinker with, but this is something that I really want to do, so my enthusiasm trumps it. You probably won't have much luck asking someone else to do the work.

However, if you drop by the IRC, you can normally find someone willing to help you find your way in the codebase. However, it's not exactly the right place to ask basic C++ questions that can be answered by the google.

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Difficulty
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 02:44:00 am »
Yeah, but I figured if anyone else wanted to tackle such an idea, they are more than welcome to. I have a basic understanding of C++, so it's more of a tedious refresher. Besides, I'm fairly good at finding strange things.

Thanks for the advice, Shoes. :)