aliens

Author Topic: [ENEMY] Aliens Melee Stat mod 1.0  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
[ENEMY] Aliens Melee Stat mod 1.0
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:27:20 am »
WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO?
It changes Melee stats of aliens to more reasonable values.

WHY WAS IT CREATED?
In the vanilla OpenXCom, alien Melee stat was irrelevant, since they didn't use melee attacks (apart from certain terror units of course), and the stat was completely hidden anyway. This has changed lately with the nightly builds, where you can actually see the stat value if you use a Mind Probe on an alien or just mind control him. And since the value is always 76 (except floaters, who have it at 70), it looks rather absurd, since it's at least twice as much as your own men. Yes, including Sectoids.
Moreover, openXCom enemies can now use melee weapons. The game as such doesn't have them, but if you're playing with any mods which add such weapons, the aliens would be abnormally proficient with them, which this mod fixes.

BUT WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE MOD DO?
It changes Melee stats of aliens, depending on race. Sectoid Soldiers have it at 12, while Muton Soldiers retained their 76; the rest falls in-between (see addendum below).

DO I NEED THIS MOD?
If you intend to just play vanilla, it'll only affect alien stats screen, which is only cosmetic. However, if you're using mods, this may actually change your gameplay - see above, regarding melee weapons.
This mod is also intended to be used by modders who create alien melee weapons. Why would every single one of them invent the wheel from scratch? I imagine this mod would set a standard of sorts, so that a Snakeman Navigator's melee is the same regardless of what mod one uses. Hopefully its quality is high enough for it to become such a standard - and if it's not, please help me fix it!

HOW DO I INSTALL THIS MOD?
- Open the "OpenXcom\data" folder,
- Copy the "Rulesets" and "Resources" folders to the "OpenXcom\data" folder, merging with existing folders with the same name (no files will be overwritten),
- Enable the mod from the Game Options menu.

HOW DO I PROVIDE FEEDBACK?
Please post any feedback - bug reports, tanks, criticisms, requests for enhancements and the like - on this thread.

ADDENDUM: MELEE TABLE
Here are the actual new values of Melee (remember that Leaders and Commanders are more proficient):

Sectoid12
Floater38
Etereal56
Muton76
Snakeman48

Reaper80
Chryssalid80
Sectopod30
Cyberdisc0
Celatid35
Silacoid65
Zombie80
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:34:46 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Sectoid_Soldier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [ENEMY] Aliens Melee Stat mod 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:54 am »
I'd like to see XCOM soldiers swordfight with jedi sabers, with aliens, against aliens.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:18:17 am »
That's looking good !

Offline NeXaXeN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »
Moreover, openXCom enemies can now use melee weapons. The game as such doesn't have them, but if you're playing with any mods which add such weapons, the aliens would be abnormally proficient with them, which this mod fixes.

Is there a mod that adds an alien melee weapon? I looked on the forums and the mod sites and I can't find it. I'm a sucker for new research projects (and new gizmos!) to keep my scientists busy and extend my game.

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:43:13 pm »
So melee weapons work now?  :o that means I can finally give my terran reaper mod a real melee bite and my lobsterman a claw-attack! Maybe I will even release them to the public... Not sure, though, as they are considered TANKS/HWPs by the game which somehow breaks the mood.... :-[

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:29:15 pm »
Is there a mod that adds an alien melee weapon? I looked on the forums and the mod sites and I can't find it. I'm a sucker for new research projects (and new gizmos!) to keep my scientists busy and extend my game.

There aren't any, to my best knowledge. it would be very easy to make one though. It's more of a concept problem than a technical problem; what melee weapon would fit X-Com aliens?

So melee weapons work now?  :o that means I can finally give my terran reaper mod a real melee bite and my lobsterman a claw-attack!

No no no no no, that's not exactly how it works. A melee weapon is like any other weapon, it can be equipped and used but it's not possible to add melee damage to a unit which already has a gun. It must be made possible at some point, because TFTD, but it's not possible now.
And Reapers have fixedWeapon, which is a different animal. :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 06:49:24 pm »
try
Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_LASER_RIFLE
    tuMelee: 30
    accuracyMelee: 100
    meleePower: 50
you can shoot and you can hit
but
for some reson meele hit stuns (the melee gun option is disabled)
i have no idea how the alien AI would handle such gun

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:20:51 pm »
They won't, and read Rulestet Reference. This line was added so you can make your very own Gun Melee mod. The damage is always stun though; to have different damage, you need to have a melee weapon proper, not a gun with a gunbutt option.

As for Lobestermen, totally impossible at this point. Units with Fixed Weapons *do not have inventory at all*, so they can't have guns. To make things worse, the AI can't handle more than a single weapon + grenades :)