Author Topic: [CRAFT] Upgraded Skyranger - Guardian  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Bones

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[CRAFT] Upgraded Skyranger - Guardian
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »
Greetings everyone!

I made this little mod, I was inspired by the Retaliator (an improved Interceptor) found here https://www.openxcom.com/mod/retaliator. I figured out it would be nice to have an improved Skyranger in addition to the Retaliator. I looked around and didn´t find what I was looking for, so I made one myself! It´s obviously my first OpenXCom mod, so it´s just a modified ruleset and slightly recolored ufopedia image and sprite of the craft when sitting in base. I might try modifying how it looks in battlescape as well, but for now, its just a normal Skyranger when on mission.

You can research it after discovering Alien alloys and UFO Navigation. It´s faster and more durable, while being able to use one weapon. It might be way too good (suggestions welcome) but I think the speed is still rather low and it won´t be really able to catch most UFOs anyway.

Names and ufopedia description are avaiable in English (of course) and Czech.

Here are its stats pasted from the ruleset
Code: [Select]
crafts:
  - type: STR_GUARDIAN
    requires:
      - STR_IMPROVED_SKYRANGER
    sprite: 23
    fuelMax: 1500
    damageMax: 250
    speedMax: 1400
    accel: 4
    weapons: 1
    costSell: 250000
    soldiers: 14
    vehicles: 3
    refuelRate: 50
    score: 250

Criticism, suggestions, any kind of feedback is welcome. Keep in mind it´s my first mod. :)

EDIT: Another situational crash fixed.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:53:49 am by Bones »

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFT] Upgraded Skyranger - Guardian
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:16:55 pm »
Even 1 weapon slot and a cannon gives enough firepower to take down any small and medium ufo, so to my mind any early fighter-transports make the game easier. But early improved terran craft (like faster skyranger) makes space for decisions and thats always good. I would better leave it unarmed.
Manufacture is too cheap. Furthermore its quite reasonable to leave some rent cost on such craft types, since they need fuel, maintenance, salary for pilots, while dont consume any elerium.

All my suggestions are based on my hardcore vision of the game, and I dont insist that anyone should play with that level of challenge, so dont judge me :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 12:27:06 pm by Raidau »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFT] Upgraded Skyranger - Guardian
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:15:35 pm »
There's a Addon-Skyranger mod in this package : https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2048.0
It has a custom layout and tileset.  :)