Author Topic: [WEAPON] Stun Ammo for the Rifle  (Read 10865 times)

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[WEAPON] Stun Ammo for the Rifle
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:04:40 am »

This mod adds the 'Rifle Stun Clip' to the XCOM arsenal as an extra ammo type for the rifle. Hopefully adding some life to the standard human Rifle once Laser weapons have been developed.

The 15 stun damage may be a bit too high, I don't want to invalidate the stun rod or the small launcher, just provide an alternative. I'd like some opinions to get the balance feeling right.

Due to the maintenance of the mod site, I'm attaching the mod here. Once the mod site lets me log in it'll be on there instead.

To install, extract the .zip into your data folder and activate from the mod menu.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:06:50 am by Murmur »

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] Stun Ammo for the Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:54 am »
Small caliber rubber bullets are quite nonsense :) If you care about realism I think adding them to heavy cannon and autocannon would be more logical (if you dont use shotgun mod or other weapon mods).

BTW rifle has highest aimed shot accuracy and is quite usable against sectoids or floaters, even after vanilla laser weapons, and is less dangerous if your soldier is psi-controlled :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:46:29 am by Raidau »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »
15 stun damage sounds rather balanced, even though I prefer the Taser mod with its tough range limit.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:04 pm »
I'm not a military guru, but I thought about this a few months ago and decided to take a different route: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1860.0.html

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
Stun Rifle :v

Nice :)

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:34:08 am »
After using the Rifle Stun ammo I realized one major thing about Stun weaponry: Range is God, damage is (almost) irrelevant. Even the 15-only damage version is too usefu, i would not have believed this before I tried it... :-\

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
Yeah I was worried about that. In my quick testing of it, it seemed like it was borderline 'too effective'. It's a shame ammo can't have a separate range from the weapon it's fired from. But oh well, it wasn't a great idea to begin with, haha. Between Solarius's Dart Rifle and Ryskeliini's Taser, I think our extra stun options are pretty well covered.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:37:28 am »
French translation

Code: [Select]
  - type: fr
    strings:
      STR_RIFLE_STUN_CLIP: Chargeur de Fusil Assommant
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:23:37 am by Aldorn »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »
Inspired by your mod i tried to make a shotgun firing rubber bullets, hoping it would be more balanced (limited range, weak damage), but no matter what pellet-number and  damage numbers I tried, I simply could not find a balance, it was either way too strong or way too weak...  :-[

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
Inspired by your mod i tried to make a shotgun firing rubber bullets, hoping it would be more balanced (limited range, weak damage), but no matter what pellet-number and  damage numbers I tried, I simply could not find a balance, it was either way too strong or way too weak...  :-[

In my opinion, going with the "too weak" option would be better! You would have an incentive to go further, for the Small Launcher and whatnot. :)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:45:01 pm »
One way to balance it would be that this would have a 50/50 chance of inflicting either 15 STUN or 15 AP damage. Rubber bullets can kill, if they strike someone in the wrong place.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:36 am »
One way to balance it would be that this would have a 50/50 chance of inflicting either 15 STUN or 15 AP damage. Rubber bullets can kill, if they strike someone in the wrong place.

I'd love such a string. I'd add it to the Stun Rod straight away (though preferably not 50/50, more like 80/20).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 02:48:11 am »
If we want to go into the realism realm, I think everyone is missing the elephant in the room...

Rubber bullets can kill, but they rarely stun - they just hurt a lot and cause injury, so if anything, they should cause mainly Morale damage... :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 04:00:42 am »
yeah bullets that make moral damage or makes-me-stupid-gas grenade (-reaction -intelligence -psi)