Author Topic: Rotating the map in the Battlescape  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Grey

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Rotating the map in the Battlescape
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:03:34 pm »
How hard would it be to implement a 90° map rotation in the Battlescape? I would love that feature, and it would improve the gameplay immensely (at least for me).

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating the map in the Battlescape
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »
Near impossible, it would require whole code overhaul and redraw 4 times every tile graphic in game.

Offline Grey

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:40 pm »
Near impossible, it would require whole code overhaul and redraw 4 times every tile graphic in game.

That's too bad :(

Well, thanks for the info.

Offline Grey

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:18 am »
I've been thinking about it some more. Isn't already almost everything in the battlescape drawn from every possible (0, 90, 180, 270) angle? I think I've seen everything (trees, barriers, crafts, UFOs, buildings, soldiers, aliens etc.) from every possible angle. And the actual rotation of the scene shouldn't be such a problem in SDL (I haven't dug too deep in the code yet, though).

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:00:04 am »
I've been thinking about it some more. Isn't already almost everything in the battlescape drawn from every possible (0, 90, 180, 270) angle? I think I've seen everything (trees, barriers, crafts, UFOs, buildings, soldiers, aliens etc.) from every possible angle. And the actual rotation of the scene shouldn't be such a problem in SDL (I haven't dug too deep in the code yet, though).

no. everything apart from the soldiers and aliens are drawn from 1 angle only. some of the north and west walls have the same wallpaper, but that's about it.
it is simply not possible, SDL or no.

Offline Grey

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
no. everything apart from the soldiers and aliens are drawn from 1 angle only. some of the north and west walls have the same wallpaper, but that's about it.
it is simply not possible, SDL or no.

Okay, thank you.