Author Topic: Hey, how about *I* pick the promotions?  (Read 3980 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hey, how about *I* pick the promotions?
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:56 pm »
Really hate it that my psi strength 100 guy gets overlooked for the next promotion whereas some psi wimp gets to be commander.  I seem to have full control of my soldiers actions, base management and all, but no choice over who gets promoted.

Oh, and maybe a system of increasing salaries for higher ranks would be nice.....

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, how about *I* pick the promotions?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:44:20 pm »
Good idea! The promotion system needs some alternatives. I would not replace the default system but if possible a mod/an option would be fine.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:29 pm »
I like the current system. It's reasonable, it's fun, it's complex and it's always interesting to see who gets promoted.

Besides, the last thing I want it to worry about are ranks.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:42 pm »
I hate it when one of my weaker guys who always has morale issues, gets under alien control , and kills his squad members, then gets promoted while the ones that actually made the mission a success or saved lives  don't.  What makes them get promoted?  Does the amount of times they shoot their colleges factor in, is it just shooting in general regardless of the target that's counted?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:08:35 pm by b »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »
I hate it when one of my weaker guys who always has morale issues, gets under alien control , and kills his squad members, then gets promoted while the ones that actually made the mission a success or saved lives  don't.  What makes them get promoted?

Welcome to the real life.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:07:56 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:01:22 pm »
It's a perfect rear commander : Give him no weapon and block him in the back of the skyranger, behind two probe / psi guys. He'll act as a lightning rod for all psi attacks.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:37:24 am »
I suppose the best solution is to take him out on a mission and have him shot from behind by another soldier....

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 08:04:27 am »
I suppose the best solution is to take him out on a mission and have him shot from behind by another soldier....

Nah,  I just ship them to a small manufacturing site at the south pole as a security guard in case of invasion.  In the original, I seem to remember you had to have at least one soldier in a base to be able to fight off a base invasion even if you had a bunch of tanks, wounded soldiers would work as well.   Not sure how that stuff works in openxcom yet.   

The lighting rod idea is notable, and the 'real life' joke was nice.   But really it would be nice if units who shoot their own team would be demoted, or put on administrative leave.  And mind controlled units might need counseling as a different type of wounded. 

It would be nice if there was a medikit kiosk in the aircraft, sort of like a medicine cabinet that an injured unit might be able to use by themself if they're able to get back there in time.