Author Topic: OpenXcom vs openxcom folders?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
OpenXcom vs openxcom folders?
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:57 am »
Sorry if this is a newb question, but since I just discovered this game a couple hours ago I'm still learning.  I LOVED the original and played it more times than I could ever count so I"m thrilled to hear about this.

I downloaded the 0.9 version and the daily update and they play with no problems.  I also downloaded a couple mods and I can't get any of them to work.  I noticed that they always say to extract the files into the openxcom\data folder, but I'm having trouble figuring out which one.  I have the basic OpenXcom\data folder, and I also have the OpenXcom\openxcom\data folder. 

I've tried extracting the mods into both, and both cause me to crash as soon as I add the names to the config file.  I figured if I could at least narrow down exactly which one I'm supposed to be installing that would ease some of the troubleshooting.

Also I see many references to enabling mods on the Options\mods screen, but on my Options screen I don't have anything that shows mods.  Will that screen be available when I finally get the mods working?

Thanks in advance.  And thanks again to both the people coding this and to anyone doing mods.  If I had any programming skills at all I would happily help out, but haven't done any coding since BASIC back in high school in the mid-80's.

Ted

P.S.  I"m trying to add Lukes ships and the shotgun mod for now if that makes a difference.

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom vs openxcom folders?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:28:33 am »
It sounds like it didn't install right... there shouldn't be an openxcom/openxcom folder.

If I had to guess I'd say you might have taken the openxcom folder from the nightly build and placed it into the openxcom folder, instead of putting the things from the openxcom folder into the openxcom folder. God that's confusing. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:32:37 am by Murmur »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:37:37 am »
Just compare folders in the mod, they're the same as in the openxcom folder. Make sure that files from mod ruleset folder goes into openixcom ruleset folder, and so on.

And welcome to the forums. ;)

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:19:00 am »
Thanks for the help guys.  I'll give that a try. 

What's funny is that the game itself plays fine as long as there are no mods installed.  You'd think if I screwed it up that badly it would be broken completely.  :)

Ted

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:58:06 am »
From the sounds of it, you have 0.9 in "openxcom", and the nightly build in "openxcom\openxcom", which is why installing mods crashes the game and you don't see the mods screen, because you're actually running 0.9 (which barely supported anything mod-related).

Move the contents of your "openxcom\openxcom" folder into "openxcom" (overwrite all) and get rid of it. Then you should have no problems installing mods to the "openxcom\data" folder and see the new options screen.