aliens

Author Topic: Soldier names  (Read 91461 times)

Offline chad3006

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier names
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
Here's some Mexican names.  Obiously there will be some crossover to Spain, South America, Cuba, etc. 

Offline chad3006

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »
And now for the obscure:  Inuit names.  I always learn something new when I set out to do some little project like this.  I’ve included here the surname E7-121.  It is a legitimate Inuit surname; however, there is an interesting history behind the Inuit “number names.”  I’ve included it, not in a derogatory manner, but to perhaps create some interest and awareness.  Link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_languages#Disc_numbers_and_Project_Surname

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 12:53:46 am »
Here's some Mexican names.  Obiously there will be some crossover to Spain, South America, Cuba, etc.

not to be rude, but isn't this redundant, i thought names were being done by language no by country. To tell you the truth i think is rather absurd to create a list of "mexican names" unless you are listing aztec names then you should differentiate that.

just my perspective that is all

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:41 am »
not to be rude, but isn't this redundant, i thought names were being done by language no by country. To tell you the truth i think is rather absurd to create a list of "mexican names" unless you are listing aztec names then you should differentiate that.

just my perspective that is all
Well the original already had different "american" and "british" name lists. :P

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 05:54:02 am »
Well the original already had different "american" and "british" name lists. :P

well i think that is redundant also!!! :P

we are not going to separate

William
Bill
Billy
Will
Willie
Billybob

We could simply have them all in the same list :P

unless we have the German
Wilhem

if that is the case pheewww we are going to have names up the yin yang, then again if it is already done :S oh well

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 05:39:00 pm »
well i think that is redundant also!!! :P

we are not going to separate

William
Bill
Billy
Will
Willie
Billybob

We could simply have them all in the same list :P

unless we have the German
Wilhem

if that is the case pheewww we are going to have names up the yin yang, then again if it is already done :S oh well
Well I think what matters is the end result, people are not gonna notice "repeated names" between lists, as long as the generated name is coherent. And it is true that countries of the same language can have wildly different naming conventions, for example Portugal and Brazil. ;) I leave it up to people's judgement, but I'm kinda wary of adding those 1000-name-lists that might drag down loading times.

Also if you think we have names up the yin yang you should look at XCOM Enemy Unknown, and they went to the trouble of making sure the generation was all statistically accurate too. :P

Volutar

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 07:22:49 pm »
By the way, in vanilla ratio of males/females is 75/25. It's surprising noone noticed that it's too many girls spawned in OXC.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 12:11:03 am »
By the way, in vanilla ratio of males/females is 75/25. It's surprising noone noticed that it's too many girls spawned in OXC.
Pretty sure someone bitched about original ratio so it was left at 50:50 and that was the end of it.

Volutar

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 04:29:35 am »
Pretty sure someone bitched about original ratio so it was left at 50:50 and that was the end of it.
Who? Didn't heard of that and I'm here pretty long time. It's freaking illogical! There is no army in the world where female militarization factor would be more than 33%. At least that should be unhardcoded.
Added: Not only unhardcoded, but also set whatever value you want from ingame. From 0 to 100
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:56:17 am by Volutar »

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:22 am »
It's freaking illogical! There is no army in the world where female militarization factor would be more than 33%.
What about the amazons?  :P

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 10:22:41 am »

We could always ruleset it out if it becomes a thing so people can just mod the game to become a sausagefest. (Or so I can have my amazing girlpower fantasy alien-fighting team ^_^)

Volutar

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:33 am »
It's the myths. There was no real amazons.
We could always ruleset it out if it becomes a thing so people can just mod the game to become a sausagefest. (Or so I can have my amazing girlpower fantasy alien-fighting team ^_^)
Why bother rulsetting if you can just fix that ratio in option to whatever you want? From 0 to female (only males are spawned) to 100 to female (when no males are recruited). It should be value from options.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »
Putting something into the ruleset is how you make it optional if it's just a data change.

We use the advanced options for coding-based mods only because we want people to be able to disable them.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »
Who? Didn't heard of that and I'm here pretty long time. It's freaking illogical! There is no army in the world where female militarization factor would be more than 33%. At least that should be unhardcoded.
Added: Not only unhardcoded, but also set whatever value you want from ingame. From 0 to 100
Ugh there are enough manly man mods out there.

Volutar

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »
It's not a mod, it's a chance to make game vanilla by returning original ratio.