aliens

Author Topic: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom  (Read 48439 times)

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:13 pm »
Oh and I found another CTD causing bug: If you step on the roof of a certain buidling in the Dawn City terrain the game shuts down, most likely a mcd/sound problem.  :-[

I will no longer update the mod, instead I will make my own addon terrain based on the default (and working) city terrain, with custom tileset and custom mapblocks.  :)

CU in a new thread soon.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 05:59:24 pm »
Oh and I found another CTD causing bug: If you step on the roof of a certain buidling in the Dawn City terrain the game shuts down, most likely a mcd/sound problem.  :-[

I will no longer update the mod, instead I will make my own addon terrain based on the default (and working) city terrain, with custom tileset and custom mapblocks.  :)

CU in a new thread soon.

What about the new terrain maps? Isn't there anyone who can just fix them, instead of scrapping them all? It would be a shame.

As for your future project, this will be something like the Expanded Terror, right? Is so, why not merge these projects?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »
Are the Area51 tilesets ok? I just finished 2 big maps using them and if I have to scrap everything I'm going to kill myself.

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 11:30:26 am »
So far no problems on them.  :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAPS] (UPDATE v1.4) Hobbes Terrain Mods for OpenXCom
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 02:48:47 am »
someone has try debug the game to fix the crash ? ???

sometimes a try-catch(...) could resolve the problem 8)

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 11:43:24 am »
someone has try debug the game to fix the crash ? ???

sometimes a try-catch(...) could resolve the problem 8)

The problem is the awkward map height settings used in the "Expanded Terror" maps. That and the MCD bugs of the Hobbes maps. So far the only solution is NOT to use the maps. Which I do and recommend.  :-[

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50:13 pm »
The problem is the awkward map height settings used in the "Expanded Terror" maps. That and the MCD bugs of the Hobbes maps. So far the only solution is NOT to use the maps. Which I do and recommend.  :-[

Expanded Terror maps are incompatible for the different height settings, and that it is a maps structure problems

instead 

Hobbes maps could be usable but them have some bugs. If the MCD bugs is a sound problem it is possible that exist a
possible fix in the source code to avoid it: sound is missing -> no sound instead of crash.

Do you have a savegame to reproduce the bugs on debug build (I have it) ?

Do I understand ?

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. The problem with the PORT Terrain are the black/empty tiles that some mapblocks have, Units behave oddlyon them and the game crashes if you kill a unit on them.

The problem with the Dawn City terrain is that if you step on the roofs of the smaller row houses the game grashes. maybe because of a missing sound entry in the MCDs?

Can't be online too often atm, but I will be fully back in some weeks.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 06:20:18 pm »
Take your time and thank you for your kidness  :D

I have a very few free time to dedicate to game development too

but ... I love UFO: it is mine first computer game that I played. :'(

There is a solution for the problem with the PORT Terrain with the black/empty tiles ?
What tool could we use to fill the empty tiles ?

MapView ?

Today I undertood that we can insert new terrain description into file
....\OpenXCOM.Tools\MapView\bin\Debug\settings\mapEdit.DAT

I added to Tileset:UFO - Terrain a TFTD mission and MapView shows these maps , with the wrong palette, I Known, sigh.

Code: [Select]
${deps}:SEA ISLAND1 ISLAND2 ISLAND3
files:Island Terror Site
ISLAND12:${deps}
ISLAND13:${deps}
ISLAND10:${deps}
ISLAND11:${deps}
ISLAND14:${deps}
ISLAND07:${deps}
ISLAND06:${deps}
ISLAND05:${deps}
ISLAND04:${deps}
ISLAND03:${deps}
ISLAND02:${deps}
ISLAND01:${deps}
ISLAND00:${deps}
ISLAND09:${deps}
ISLAND08:${deps}
end

after that I add FORSTHUT, and MapView shows it very well.

Code: [Select]
       files:Forest
${dep}:FOREST BARN URBAN FRNITURE
FOREST00:${dep}
FOREST01:${dep}
FOREST02:${dep}
FOREST03:${dep}
FOREST04:${dep}
FOREST05:${dep}
FOREST06:${dep}
FOREST07:${dep}
FOREST08:${dep}
FOREST09:${dep}
FOREST10:${dep}
FOREST11:${dep}
FORSTHUT:${dep}
end

What do you think about convert some TFTD file .PCK by a new version of  PCKView with some new function
that search in the UFO palette the color "nearest" than in  TFTD surface palette?

When a color was found, the function automatically swap palette index of all occurence in all tiles of PCK.
I suppose that 60% of color could be resolved.
But some PCK do not contains all colors.

If the color was non found it could be selected  from ufo palette and after it could be changed automatically
I look Sea.pck, half of sea color is missing into UFO palette, but ufo palette has 48 value of blu that them could be use to create a new nice SEA.pck

See you when you will have time
bye

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
terror terrain named Portband looks like terror port terrain of TFTD ???

may I use UFO2000 maps with OXP ?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 11:44:58 am »
Are the Area51 tilesets ok? I just finished 2 big maps using them and if I have to scrap everything I'm going to kill myself.

I am very interesting in your new maps :P

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:56 pm »
Great addition to OXC!! Took me awhile to learn the map, especially staying away from the factory buildings, because aliens always spawned on the second floor waiting to snipe you.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:25 am »
Hello everyone, I'm the Hobbes that designed these maps. :)

It was a real nice surprise to see Dawn City included on OpenXcom's video presentation since Luke83 asked me to include my mods on his site a while ago and I had completely forgotten about it until I saw the video. I never actually bothered to create rulesets or use  OpenXcom since my interest on the original X-Com has gone to a minimum since the remake came out.

It was even better coming to the forums and finding this post. Thanks a lot to civilian for converting the whole thing to OpenXcom. Seeing all those old terrains (in an easy way to use them other having to copy/paste the entire files!) was really nice :)

There were several questions asked about the terrains. I'll try my best to answer them.

Does the Mad City also contain the unrotated versions as possible blocks? That would be pretty good for variety, I think

No, the current file on my site does not have the unrotated versions due to copyright issues. I'd like to have both the unrotated versions and Mad City's versions so I'll look into this but from what I'm understanding from the ruleset files it should be easy.

may I use UFO2000 maps with OXP ?

Generally, no. UFO2000 did not require RMP maps for the AI to use and they also didn't had the limitations regarding the number of map blocks. I did convert a few (Dawn City, Native and Mad City) to be usable for the original game and those can be easily converted and used, and even expanded in some cases since the limit on map blocks seems to be gone on OXC so more maps can be added to both those terrains (but they still require the RMP files, which require some work).

Just the UFO2000 version of Dawn City had over 100 different map blocks, including a 9 level hotel, although many were simply repeats with a few features changed, so that the roads would fit (the UFO2000 version could have several roads being generated, including no exit roads). Adding a few of those to the current version of Dawn City is certainly possible.

As for the rest, I'd love to see Polis, Siberia and Mod Farm, but those will require quite some work since they were never converted to use for the original. The other maps might be possible (Railyard, Slums) but they mix UFO and TFTD terrains which can be a pain.

Area51 was another huge project - around 90 maps on the UFO2000 version, had to be squashed to 18 for the original game. At one point it included an HWP factory building that was 40x40 but that I had to separate that into a different mod. I'd love to get back to it and fix its issues (graphics, etc.) but that is really in the back burner, plus any changes I made to the terrain files will be reflected on your maps, so I'll keep out of it. If you encounter any problems with the terrain files let me know.

The problem with the Dawn City terrain is that if you step in the roofs of the smaller row houses the game grashes. maybe because of a missing sound entry in the MCDs?

Just tried Dawn and I had 0 crashes while walking on the roofs. I checked the MCD files and that's not the problem. I don't know if Luke83 changed anything on the Dawn City MCDs while using them for his own terrain though.

With Port terrain it would help to know the exact tile that causes the crash.

I added to Tileset:UFO - Terrain a TFTD mission and MapView shows these maps , with the wrong palette, I Known, sigh.

What do you think about convert some TFTD file .PCK by a new version of  PCKView with some new function
that search in the UFO palette the color "nearest" than in  TFTD surface palette?

There's a converter that converts the palette on a TFTD terrain to UFO and vice-versa made by Bomb Bloke and available at StrategyCore, IIRC. I never tried it though since i used PCKView to redo the UFO PCK views and directly loading the TFTD separate BMP files into them while I was doing converting the Port terrain.

Great addition to OXC!! Took me awhile to learn the map, especially staying away from the factory buildings, because aliens always spawned on the second floor waiting to snipe you.

;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:00:03 am by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:54 pm »
I've been going through my files to check how I left things when I stopped modding for XCOM a couple of years back. My latest project was to mod all of the existing terrains one way or the other, either by adding new terrains or adding map blocks to the terrains that contained UFOs. Unfortunately not much was done other than finishing the Dawn and the Port terrains to replace the Urban (Terror) maps, but with OXC now opens interesting possibilities since everything is automated.

Here's a rough idea of what I'm thinking atm:
* Urban - add Native, Mad City (complementing the original terror map blocks), Port, Polis and Dawn City. Dawn City can definitely be enlarged but not to the scale of UFO2000 since I don't want to make maps higher than 4 levels (experience tells me that battles simply get too big plus FPS skyrockets). Polis needs a bit of adaptation and work (there's no RMP files for the AI) but it has a lot of 4x4 map blocks that should make for some interesting fights. Native should be ready to go, although I'll probably set it only for Terror Sites on the Southern hemisphere. I'm still doing some changes to Mad City but they shouldn't take long and Port is also set to go. The City terrain will get dropped since I dislike its graphics and design. 
* XCom Base - here I already got one mod for the original terrain to prevent the common chokepoints. Another idea would be to set Area51 as an optional terrain: it has Hangars, Command Posts, Barracks, Radar Stations, etc. It will require work though since it has never been adapted to be a specific XCom Base terrain.
* Alien Base - a bit clueless here. Hive is too rough to be used, although it's the same setting.
* Farm - I have a Modified Farm terrain with extra map blocks that can be added, like Mad City.
* Polar/Mountain/Desert/Jungle/Forest - these should be the least changed since the UFOs & Skyranger don't leave much space left on the maps.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 08:04:42 pm »
 :) Goods !!!  :P