aliens

Author Topic: [Request] Extra facilities for human base  (Read 68951 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Corridor for human base
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 11:33:53 pm »
If we have corridors I request we make stores and hangars destructible.
I think it's unfair you can just blast the aliens out of your base without any consequences to your facilities.
This is all dependant on the map files. Facilities are "destructible" because they have special object tiles flagged as "important" for the aliens, and if they destroy them all, the associated facility is removed.
So you could theoretically achieve anything by modding the facility maps.

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:56 am »
Yes, I know. The flags can be set in MCDEdit.
But that's not the point.
As I said I don't want aliens to attack stores and hangars but make them take damage if you blow them up with blaster bombs. They don't need to be completely destroyed but some sort of damage penalty between all and nothting would be fine.
I've always found it a bit harsh that facilities (and everything connected to them) were completely destroyed because the aliens blew up some minor stuff upstairs.
What about the approach that buildings can be damaged and lose their function until they are repaired - which may take a fraction of the original build time and some money of course?

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:37 pm »
Well, if adjacent facilities are destroyed, hangars and stores will be destroyed as well. :)

maybe you just have pay for damages and wait for them to be repaired?  could work nicely

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Extra facilities for human base
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »
I updated first post for add new requests.

But for moment I'm very interested to try simple corridor.  :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »
Why not new facilities for human bases ?

- Control Center (allow to launch vessel, only one per base, if destroyed entire base is lost with auto-destruction)
Build for 350.000$
Time construction : 15 days
Maintenance : 6000$

That would be interesting. But I wonder, what exactly can you accomplish with this (apart from saving the plane)? Can you load your soldiers, or equipment, on board? That would be complicated to design and code...

- Power Reactor (only one per base)
Build for 180.000$
Time construction : 10 days
Maintenance : 20.000$

I can see this in conjunction with the multi-level base idea from another thread. If we have more facilities, we may introduce power requirements to expand your base. That would be a nice touch. (And if it's destroyed, random buildings lose their functionality until power is sufficient, haha.)

- Hospital (if possible with OPX engine, for heal wounded soldier)
Build for 450.000$
Time construction : 20 days
Maintenance : 10.000$

Yeah, why not. It would probably need to be researched maybe (I can imagine soldiers have a hospital already - how else would they recover from third degree plasma burns, by staying in bed?).

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 12:49:52 am »
I think he means Control Center to be a prerequisite to Launch the Avenger on a mission to mars. On one hand I like how it would introduce a visible "countdown" (construction days)  instead of the randomness of "when will my research end". But it's also something that would be useful for a tiny amount of time : From the game's point of view, as soon as you can go to Mars, you should. It's not a facility you're supposed to keep long enough to pay a monthly fee, and it would be unlikely to have to defend it in "base assault".

One thing I like with the hospital idea is that you would use the "transfer" mechanism to send wounded to your only base which has the facility. Not sure how useful it would feel, however, because there are IMO mostly 2 ways to play :
- ironman, where the casualties are so high and random that you keep a large squad anyway - a 30-day wound does not cripple your strike force.
- nitpicker, where you reload when someone is wounded ot killed.
In both cases, quickened healing is not so useful.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 02:35:29 am »
I know i am away from Modding right now, but between study, i have been playing with the idea of remaking the base maps ( so they are not just boring corridor fights) but actually something fun and challenging..i am still experimenting with sizes and levels.

What i think would be the best solution would be to do away with the automatic linking between mapblocks that happens now and allow the use to Choose how they link up to the other blocks and what additional features they can have ( sentry guns, lockable blast door etc)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:11:02 am by luke83 »

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 03:16:25 pm »
Yeah, why not. It would probably need to be researched maybe (I can imagine soldiers have a hospital already - how else would they recover from third degree plasma burns, by staying in bed?).

no silly! they don't die! they just go to sleep forever when aliens hit them too much! they only need time to recover because they got their tonsils removed! and they aren't just in bed, they are in bed eating lots of icecream!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »
and they aren't just in bed, they are in bed eating lots of icecream!

Oh my, that's kinda bad for tonsils...
Now I'm uneasy.

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
Oh my, that's kinda bad for tonsils...
Now I'm uneasy.

i think they secretly have masochistic desires and get injured though... you ever wander why they sometimes shoot at the sky when their target is 10 feet infront of them?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »
i think they secretly have masochistic desires and get injured though... you ever wander why they sometimes shoot at the sky when their target is 10 feet infront of them?

But it's fun! And it's definitely an Orky thing to do.

As for the facilities... Did anyone mention showers and toilets as well as a kitchen? I don't think 200 people living in the base (not counting maintenance staff) eat TV dinners and need to take a lift to the surface whenever they want to relieve themselves.
I can see this as an additional building which limits maximum personnel. Or perhaps it would be easier to just sacrifice half the Living Quarters' space, and decrease Living Quarters capacity by half. (Or more, since they already seem to be far too efficient for what they look like anyway.) This would go great with another idea that is floating around the forum, a two-layer base (so you get 4 levels in Battlescape, etc).

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »
As for the facilities... Did anyone mention showers and toilets as well as a kitchen? I don't think 200 people living in the base (not counting maintenance staff) eat TV dinners and need to take a lift to the surface whenever they want to relieve themselves.
I can see this as an additional building which limits maximum personnel. Or perhaps it would be easier to just sacrifice half the Living Quarters' space, and decrease Living Quarters capacity by half. (Or more, since they already seem to be far too efficient for what they look like anyway.) This would go great with another idea that is floating around the forum, a two-layer base (so you get 4 levels in Battlescape, etc).

I always assumed they ate mre's (if you don't know what that is, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE they taste suprisingly good for what they are) i mean its not like we are sending them on a 48 hour trip (round flight) without any food right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
I always assumed they ate mre's (if you don't know what that is, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE they taste suprisingly good for what they are) i mean its not like we are sending them on a 48 hour trip (round flight) without any food right?

>Build a 20 million dollars underground base
>Tell everyone there to only eat MREs and piss in the bushes
>THAT'S X-COM, BABY!

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »
>Build a 20 million dollars underground base
>Tell everyone there to only eat MREs and piss in the bushes
>THAT'S X-COM, BABY!

well... they get paid like 40k (or was It 10k?) a month and there might even be a really amazing pension when its all over (if they actually survive...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
well... they get paid like 40k (or was It 10k?) a month and there might even be a really amazing pension when its all over (if they actually survive...)

One Chryssalid hiding in the bushes would terminate the project. Ouch.

Anyway, any opinion on the "decrease Living Quarters capacity to improve immersion" issue?