Author Topic: [WEAPON] Gauss Weapons 1.9  (Read 84350 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WEAPON] Gauss Weapons 1.6b
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:17 am »
The Gauss mod is also compatible with the Alien Armoury Expanded, so they can be enabled together.

And if you really want to have absolutely everything in one package, use the Final Mod Pack! :)

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2014, 03:51:31 am »
What made you decide that the Gauss Weapons would not have an auto-shot feature like the Gauss rifles from TFTD, or even most of the weapon mods that are out there for OXC?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2014, 05:15:38 am »
Must've been his unmatched cruelty.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 08:05:43 am »
What made you decide that the Gauss Weapons would not have an auto-shot feature like the Gauss rifles from TFTD, or even most of the weapon mods that are out there for OXC?

Gauss weaponry deals uses hypervelocity ammo that produces so much heat while leaving the barrel that allowing a full auto in such a small weapon would simply melt it, and possibly set the soldier on fire.

Must've been his unmatched cruelty.

And there's this, I guess...

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:47 am »
Gauss weaponry deals uses hypervelocity ammo that produces so much heat while leaving the barrel that allowing a full auto in such a small weapon would simply melt it, and possibly set the soldier on fire.

Ever thought of Improved Gauss Weapons as a sort of Tier 2.5?

I mean, Plasma is hot. Really hot. I would imagine that the coils used in the magnetic field to launch the plasma from the alien weapons aren't much different from the Gauss Weapons of humanity.

Offline smexyvami

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »
halo 2 guss truck cannon when ?  :P but ya guss is a magnet fied bullet prepelled at higer speeds i dont see how you can speed up mulitiple with out jaming the gun or blowing a hole in your partners back as you shoot over there sholder

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
Ever thought of Improved Gauss Weapons as a sort of Tier 2.5?

I mean, Plasma is hot. Really hot. I would imagine that the coils used in the magnetic field to launch the plasma from the alien weapons aren't much different from the Gauss Weapons of humanity.

While the working principle is different (gauss weapons use simple electromagnetism, while plasma uses pseudoscience mambo jumbo that I wrote about in the Ufopaedia articles), I admit they're both quite hot. Still, plasma bolts are encapsulated in a forcefield bubble and do not come in direct contact with elements of the weapon, and I think they don't travel as fast as gauss bullets... I really need to work out the details. :P Anyway, I kind of like the supergauss weapons, I think there's room for them.

halo 2 guss truck cannon when ?  :P but ya guss is a magnet fied bullet prepelled at higer speeds i dont see how you can speed up mulitiple with out jaming the gun or blowing a hole in your partners back as you shoot over there sholder

Yeah, part of the explanation. Still, I think it should be possible if you throw enough alien tech at the engineering team.

Hmm, maybe it'd allow us to have both the original TFTD sprites and Sir Thebus' sprites - the former for normal Gauss guns, the latter for advanced Gauss?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:06 pm »
If you implement autoshot in gauss weapons, what's the difference with lasers? More powerful but requires clips (with 30 shots)? That just entirely overshadows lasers unless you are facing an ap resistant enemy. I think your basic gauss weapons are nice as they are, with only, maybe, some stats tweaks if they are to interract with other modded weapons (like in the FMP/XAE).

I was playing around with depleted Elerium ammo for gauss weapons as an upgrade.

Lasers have unlimited ammo and auto-shots, so as a starting tech they are really good (noobs can't aim so autoshot is great for spray and pray and you never run out of ammo even though you have to try 20 times to hit something). Making Gauss have an easier upgrade in new ammo (compared to the optical Elerium laser mod which requires new rifles altogether) but at the cost of ammo being Elerium dependent (I made 3 rifle clips for 1 Elerium) seems to strike a good gameplay balance and make both options useful. I also am tweaking the values for specialized weapons (ex.: laser sniper fires faster but less powerfully) to give each a reason to be used.

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21:23 pm »
I absolutely love the gauss weapons, but honestly, I'm not really sure how much upgrading they need. As it stands, they're already insanely useful, even without autoshot. Dat insane accuracy with the gauss sniper. The only things they don't kill in one or two shots are Mutons, Sectopods, and maybe Cyberdisks and Chrissilids. Basically, if it doesn't have a really high AP resistance, the rifle/heavy/sniper will kill it. While I'd personally love to have an even stronger, autofire gauss to deal with things like Mutons, they'd have to be gamebreakingly powerful to deal with Sectopods.

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
I absolutely love the gauss weapons, but honestly, I'm not really sure how much upgrading they need. As it stands, they're already insanely useful, even without autoshot. Dat insane accuracy with the gauss sniper. The only things they don't kill in one or two shots are Mutons, Sectopods, and maybe Cyberdisks and Chrissilids. Basically, if it doesn't have a really high AP resistance, the rifle/heavy/sniper will kill it. While I'd personally love to have an even stronger, autofire gauss to deal with things like Mutons, they'd have to be gamebreakingly powerful to deal with Sectopods.
Milages vary.

When I use the Gauss Mod, I find most of my soldiers being killed by a sectoid the next turn because they missed both times when it was their time to shine. Just last night I stormed a lab ship and 8 out of the 14 sent were killed due to their mishaps with the Gauss mod.

So while it would be interesting to see Gauss/Advanced Gauss weapons deployed onto the battlefield, I also believe that this requires Solar's (in)famous balancing act to make sure it stays in line with lasers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:58 pm »
If you implement autoshot in gauss weapons, what's the difference with lasers? More powerful but requires clips (with 30 shots)? That just entirely overshadows lasers unless you are facing an ap resistant enemy. I think your basic gauss weapons are nice as they are, with only, maybe, some stats tweaks if they are to interract with other modded weapons (like in the FMP/XAE).

Fair points, but you're forgetting one thing: Gauss are AP weapons, and most aliens are resistant to AP. So it's not as great as it seems from the sheer damage numbers.

And those advanced Gauss guns would be really, really advanced, probably more than Heavy Plasma. Something like the tyran_nick's railgun mod, but with a better justification.

...and there's that. That's why I'm still thinking about this. (Because on the other hand, most aliens die to heavy plasma anyway, so why not make things a bit more varied.)

So while it would be interesting to see Gauss/Advanced Gauss weapons deployed onto the battlefield, I also believe that this requires Solar's (in)famous balancing act to make sure it stays in line with lasers.

I take it as the best compliment a modder can get. :)

And yes, they are meant to be roughly compatible to lasers. But they're definitely better when deployed against humans.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »
>2014
>Blaming XCom modder that your rookies miss their shots

Spending the last of your TUs to take a risky shot is a common rookie mistake. Try to use remaining TUs to get into cover instead, and take the alien out with long-range fire or a grenade.

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »
>2014
>Blaming XCom modder that your rookies miss their shots

Spending the last of your TUs to take a risky shot is a common rookie mistake. Try to use remaining TUs to get into cover instead, and take the alien out with long-range fire or a grenade.
>Captains
>Aimed Shot
>2012+2
>Not Checking the Carfax
top kek

And there is practically no cover in a desert just outside of a Lab Ship that had one of it's power sources explode so aliens commonly drop from the hole in the wall.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:16 pm »
>lol Smoke Grenades

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:17 am »
If you do ever make an advanced gauss line, do you think you could make them a bit LESS accurate than the base versions? I've noticed that once your soldiers start taking shots with more than 100% accuracy, they start missing surprisingly often.

Actually, I suppose I should confirm. Has anyone else noticed that happening?