aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1599702 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2340 on: August 11, 2016, 11:40:48 am »
Hrhr, I never saw any differences, it is english in both cases and both can read and understand, so who would seriously care?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2341 on: August 11, 2016, 11:52:30 am »
Hrhr, I never saw any differences, it is english in both cases and both can read and understand, so who would seriously care?

Hellrazor, please don't take it personally, but you are neither British no American, and therefore you have no right to say anything on the matter. The same applies to me anyway, that's why I'm not willing to disable such a, well, feature. (It's a different case with a mod which never had the two versions.)
If native English speakers assure me that it's not a problem, then I'll be happy to drop one version.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2342 on: August 11, 2016, 01:32:56 pm »
Well I seriously do not get the differences between british and american english. For me its both the same - english.

But of course do as you see fit.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2343 on: August 11, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »
Well I seriously do not get the differences between british and american english. For me its both the same - english.

But of course do as you see fit.

There are very slight differences, mostly in spelling certain words (i.e. color (en-us) vs colour (en-gb)).  I don't think its overly bothersome to a great deal of people.  My impression is that British readers may be more sensitive to it, but that may just be my American bias.  If someone is kind enough to give me an "Anglicized" version of extraStrings for one of my mods, I'd happily add it, but I think that either culture could use either translation. 

What I have noticed in the Modding community here, is a tendency to make en-us the defacto version.  Even if no other version exists, an en-us version is usually sufficient for the mod to be playable by the vast majority of the OpenXcom community.

That said, hellrazor:  I love your demo on how to use ruleset pointers to duplicate all the en-us stings!  I remember hearing it was possible but never really looked into how to do it.  I Love it!

And @ Solarius: Sorry for off-topic, but I thought the en-us/en-gb discussion was interesting.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 11, 2016, 05:41:47 pm »
Not an offf-topic at all, this is actually very relevant.

Though I still don't know what to do. :) I'll just try to fill any holes, that's all.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 15, 2016, 11:48:45 am »
Not an offf-topic at all, this is actually very relevant.

Though I still don't know what to do. :) I'll just try to fill any holes, that's all.
Hi, Solarius
You could (but is a hell of a work) keep the commons in one and put in the other only the differences...

niculinux

« Reply #2346 on: August 15, 2016, 01:10:09 pm »
@Solarius: pleas may you reso firts post, such this one so we may get a full overview? Whatever, thanks :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 15, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »
@Solarius: pleas may you reso firts post, such this one so we may get a full overview? Whatever, thanks :)

Maybe, but it's Human Ktulu's post, I don't really want to mess with it too much :)

niculinux

« Reply #2348 on: August 15, 2016, 06:00:09 pm »
Maybe, but it's Human Ktulu's post, I don't really want to mess with it too much :)

Please would you tell him?  :-\

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 15, 2016, 06:01:05 pm »
Please would you tell him?  :-\

I haven't seen him for years.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2350 on: August 15, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
Just chiming in here.  Kudos to Human Kthulu, for getting this off the ground and a working reality.  However, we are into the realm of "abandoned mod" (though we aren't really, because Solarius Scorch as done a great job of carrying the Torch and keeping it alive). 

I think in cases like these (Abandoned Mods), it makes sense to re-work the Opening Post so that it best reflects and supports the currently supported version of the mod.  It helps that you (Solarius) have moderator powers and can do this.  I would go so far as to support changing the ownership of Opening Posts in situations like this.  In this case, you could compromise and put HK's original post in spoilers, and rework the post.

An alternative is retiring the original thread, and starting a new one with the new owner.  An "(ARCHIVE)" tag might be enough to flag it as out of date, and allow the new one to carry in the current build).

Unfortunately, this situation is somewhat of a hazard of a community like this, as the human landscape varies according to people's interests and availability.  Not everyone can be a Hobbes. ;)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 19, 2016, 04:24:45 am »
As a native English speaker who has been around the world at this point...

I would say so just for simplicity sake on making sure ufopedia etc etc etc works and only having to worry about "English" language. Unless, we are going DEEP into English they are virtually identical until we get into some esoteric portions of colloquial speech....

That is to say, will we ever have to worry about birds, rubbers, hookers, and queens in OXC? :)

Would such a turn of phrase as "bumming a fag" ever be a concern?

-HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 19, 2016, 10:32:18 am »
No, but "armor" vs. "armour" is, for example.
Not sure how much of a problem it is, though.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 19, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »
Nah,

I played the original in all its GB English greatness. That part doesn't matter. However, bug chasing sucks.

-HH

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2354 on: August 19, 2016, 11:17:22 pm »
What is needed is transifex acces for conpleted mods. For proper translations.