Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580309 times)

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2205 on: April 08, 2016, 09:53:47 am »
Hi, Solarius
You need to add the 'spriteInv' entry to a lot of bunch of armors for aliens (basicaly to everyone who doesn't have allowInv: false):
  • ETHEREAL_ARMOR_WHITEx
  • HYBRID_ARMORx
  • CHTONITE_ARMORx
  • GAZER_ARMORx
  • WASPITE_ARMORx
  • REPTOID_ARMORx

And restrict inventory to the ones wielding built-in weapons:
  • SPITTER_ARMOR
  • SPITTER_XXXX_ARMOR
  • CEREBREAL_ARMORX
  • CEREBREAL_LARVA_ARMOR
  • SALAMANDRON_ARMOR
  • CYBERMITE_ARMOR
Hope this is the exhaustive list...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2206 on: April 08, 2016, 10:10:53 am »
Well, I don't have the inventory dolls for these. I mean doing the white Ethereal should be sort of easy, but the others? I'll add them when I make/steal them, or if someone else contributes.

As for the inventory restriction, I'll have a look at it. Never really paid attention here. :P

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 08, 2016, 10:39:47 am »
Hi, Solarius
Well, I don't have the inventory dolls for these.
Oh, they're there (gif's - hope they work as GIF format, the MIB's are so - or need png? Which means MIB are also missing inventories):
  • Races_Compilation/WhiteEtherealRace/inventory_ETHEREAL_WHITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/HybridRace/inventory_HYBRID.gif
  • Races_Compilation/ChtoniteRace/inventory_CHTONITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/GazerRace/inventory_GAZER.gif
  • Races_Compilation/WaspiteRace/inventory_WASPITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/WaspiteRace/inventory_WASPITE_XXXXXX.gif
  • Races_Compilation/ReptoidRace/inventory_REPTOID.gif

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 08, 2016, 11:25:21 am »
Hi, SolariusOh, they're there (gif's - hope they work as GIF format, the MIB's are so - or need png? Which means MIB are also missing inventories):
  • Races_Compilation/WhiteEtherealRace/inventory_ETHEREAL_WHITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/HybridRace/inventory_HYBRID.gif
  • Races_Compilation/ChtoniteRace/inventory_CHTONITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/GazerRace/inventory_GAZER.gif
  • Races_Compilation/WaspiteRace/inventory_WASPITE.gif
  • Races_Compilation/WaspiteRace/inventory_WASPITE_XXXXXX.gif
  • Races_Compilation/ReptoidRace/inventory_REPTOID.gif

Wait wait wait, I... oh, crap. You were right, and I was sure I added them all... I just assumed that if the inv pic is not there, must be something I never had the sprite for. :P Serves me right for not reading carefully.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »
I just assumed that if the inv pic is not there, must be something I never had the sprite for. :P
This is the case for some ufopaedia images (I think) - Cerebreal, cerebreal larva (TFTD biodrone, maybe?), reptoid autopsy - think you can reuse here the former/older TFTD tasoth autopsy(I mean an autopsied corpse doesn't need clothing ;))

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 08, 2016, 02:05:27 pm »
This is the case for some ufopaedia images (I think) - Cerebreal, cerebreal larva (TFTD biodrone, maybe?), reptoid autopsy - think you can reuse here the former/older TFTD tasoth autopsy(I mean an autopsied corpse doesn't need clothing ;))

If I have some time, maybe. But help would be appreciated, since I'm swamped with more critical modding work. ;)

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:14 am »
Hi, Solarius
A suggestion - since both Firestorm and Avenger require 1 Alien Electronics to build, shouldn't also the Tormentor, maybe also the Lightning require the same?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 10, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »
Hi, Solarius
A suggestion - since both Firestorm and Avenger require 1 Alien Electronics to build, shouldn't also the Tormentor, maybe also the Lightning require the same?

Not necessarily, the Tormentor is completely different (mostly non-alien) tech, and the Lightning is just... sorta primitive.

EDIT:

Version 1.9.1 is up.

Get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmbjn02o2el7015/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.1.zip?dl=0

• Gave Assault Rifle a much faster aim, but slightly less accurate.
  • Fixed LMG clip.
  • Fixed some advanced craft appearing where they shouldn't.
  • New Battleship variants by Cooper.
  • New spites for the Assault Laser, more in line with other advanced lasers.
  • Mutons sometimes get rocket hovertanks now, deal with it.
  • Fixed Hovertank/Launcher appearing in the Ufopedia too soon.
  • Fixed alien inventory doll issues.

Offline zetzet13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 10, 2016, 05:18:26 pm »
Thank you so much for still working on this excellent brainchild of yours.
Also thank you that I now an excuse to restart the campaign so I can discard that last Cyberdiscddebacle I had.

:)

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 11, 2016, 01:05:13 am »
You might want to put a note that this mod is only compatible with nightlies until 2016-04-09.
Due to this announcement .

For later versions the attached adapted file should work almost as before, only difference is that the AI is limited based on difficulty. If you want the limit to apply to XCOM as well change the -1 to 9 (same as default blaster).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 11, 2016, 01:49:57 am »
You might want to put a note that this mod is only compatible with nightlies until 2016-04-09.
Due to this announcement .

For later versions the attached adapted file should work almost as before, only difference is that the AI is limited based on difficulty. If you want the limit to apply to XCOM as well change the -1 to 9 (same as default blaster).

Thanks man. I completely lost touch with the main branch.

I've integrated your changes and uploaded it again as 1.9.1b: https://www.dropbox.com/s/348o00fzgpx75e4/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.1b.zip?dl=0

@zetzet13: My pleasure!

Offline wortkarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 11, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
I have completed my first MiB terror mission yesterday and i have some questions/suggestions.
1) I was surprised to see that a heavy trooper carries a simple rifle. It leaves not even a scratch on flying suit. Other MiB soldiers have shotguns and similar weapons. What they are supposed to do with this? Bring my soldiers to laugh? ;)
The same applies to aliens. Plasma Caster, Plasma Pistol, Alien Laser Rifle etc. are useless against good armor. It's ridiculous. The aliens supposed to be dangerous, not laughable. Only weapons with >40 damage can do any harm to flying suit, but only 80+ weapons can be considered as dangerous (weaker weapons need a lot of luck).
2) Perhaps a general Openxcom question. Why the aliens throws no grenades? I have changed turnAIUseGrenade to 0, but this doesn't help. They are ignoring the grenades completely.
3) Shotgun-like weapons are useless. They are short range and are only good against enemies with a low armor (auto-shot is more effective).
4) Laser/Gauss weapons are obsolete, if there are rail/plasma weapons and rail weapons can be researched easily (i have finished the research in august).
5) Melee weapons are almost useless. TU cost ist comparable to normal weapons and a damage is not really better.
6) Dogs are OP. They are very cheap and can do 40 melee damage (only 8 TU = 400 damage/turn). The rifles must have alloy ammo to do the same damage. 20 damage were more realistic and perhaps 12 TU/hit. Price must be 20000-30000. They still remain very useful, because the dogs are very good scouts and they can save the soldiers from be killed.
7) Tanks are almost useless. They are very expensive and are not really better as soldiers with a good armor. Perhaps the X-Com Sectopods can be used, because they are very well armored and can't be destroyed so easy. For the price of one tank i can buy a lot of dogs or rookies to train.
8) Difficulty. The game is too easy even on superhuman. In other TBS you can lose easily on hardest difficulty levels (e.g. HoMM, Eador, ...), but not in X-Com.
- unlimited money (workers + rail cannon gives me ca. 2M/workshop/month and i have 4-6 workshops/base).
- harmless UFOs (plasma beam and the only threat is a battleship, but a tormentor can shot a battleship easily down with rail cannons). In X-Com 3 even a smallest UFO can do damage.
- ground battles are easy, if you are careful (smoke grenades + dog scouts = win)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 11, 2016, 04:54:28 pm »
I have completed my first MiB terror mission yesterday and i have some questions/suggestions.
1) I was surprised to see that a heavy trooper carries a simple rifle. It leaves not even a scratch on flying suit. Other MiB soldiers have shotguns and similar weapons. What they are supposed to do with this? Bring my soldiers to laugh? ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of the problem... But i don't know what to do about it. If it was OXCE, no problem, you can define a different deployment for a different race (because mechanics-wise, early MiBs and late MiBs are different races with the same missions).
What I could do is give them separate ships, missions etc. But that's a lot of work which I really don't want to be doing, since I don't really develop the FMP any more, except for small changes/bugfixes or because I have the resources. And this would be a really inelegant solution. I guess we'll have to live with some of the MiBs carrying weaker weapons.

The same applies to aliens. Plasma Caster, Plasma Pistol, Alien Laser Rifle etc. are useless against good armor. It's ridiculous. The aliens supposed to be dangerous, not laughable. Only weapons with >40 damage can do any harm to flying suit, but only 80+ weapons can be considered as dangerous (weaker weapons need a lot of luck).

Alien Laser Rifle is an early crappy weapon, yeah. Which still can kill you easily if you're not wearing a Power Suit. The Plasma Caster is not a crappy weapon and indeed it will kill you unless you wear a Power Suit. Well, Power Suits are neat, eh?
To sum up, the only way to make all aliens dangerous to humans in Power Suits would be to give them all Heavy Plasmas. Which would be really boring and also give you way too many HP clips. ;) So instead I've decided to keep the weaker weapons, but in limited quantities. Plasma Casters are mainly used for self defence by non-combatants like Navigators, and the Alien Laser Rifles are... well, if you're an alien trooper with a bad luck, you get stuck with an Alien Laser Rifle. War never changes, even if you're from Mars.
Besides, most of them have grenades. Which can screw your heavy armours up.

2) Perhaps a general Openxcom question. Why the aliens throws no grenades? I have changed turnAIUseGrenade to 0, but this doesn't help. They are ignoring the grenades completely.

They don't. I mean, they shouldn't, and in my experience they use the grenades normally. Maybe you're especially good at denying them grenade attacks? :)

3) Shotgun-like weapons are useless. They are short range and are only good against enemies with a low armor (auto-shot is more effective).

Take these "useless" weapons from me and I'll bite! :P Shotguns are the best, when use correctly. It's just that not everyone uses compatible tactics. I'm not really heavy on them either, but I know many people consider them too good.

4) Laser/Gauss weapons are obsolete, if there are rail/plasma weapons and rail weapons can be researched easily (i have finished the research in august).

Good work! It usually takes much longer.

5) Melee weapons are almost useless. TU cost ist comparable to normal weapons and a damage is not really better.

But the cost is rarely above 10 TUs.
Yes, they are situational weapons, but I believe they can be useful. A knife only weighs 4 or 3 units and it can save your life in a close encounter, so it's often a good idea to take it just in case.
BTW did you know melee attacks don't provoke reaction fire? So using a knife is sometimes better than, say, a pistol.

6) Dogs are OP. They are very cheap and can do 40 melee damage (only 8 TU = 400 damage/turn). The rifles must have alloy ammo to do the same damage. 20 damage were more realistic and perhaps 12 TU/hit. Price must be 20000-30000. They still remain very useful, because the dogs are very good scouts and they can save the soldiers from be killed.

I'm a bit torn here, but at least you can't take many of them (except in base defence) and they prevent you from taking tanks, so there are associated costs.
To be honest I don't know how to balance it further (without getting rid of the dogs altogether), so suggestions are welcome.

7) Tanks are almost useless. They are very expensive and are not really better as soldiers with a good armor. Perhaps the X-Com Sectopods can be used, because they are very well armored and can't be destroyed so easy. For the price of one tank i can buy a lot of dogs or rookies to train.

Then by all means do so. Nobody's forcing anyone to use tanks. But they are vanilla assets and I'm not deleting them just because some people think they aren't good enough. Actually, my tanks are better than the original, so I don't know what else I could do without making them OP.
Besides, an X-Com unit without a tank is usually a unit with way more casualties. They don't matter much game-wise, but I'm not sacrificing the lives of my men just to save a couple dollars, which I have way too many anyway. :P

8) Difficulty. The game is too easy even on superhuman. In other TBS you can lose easily on hardest difficulty levels (e.g. HoMM, Eador, ...), but not in X-Com.

That's how the game is written. Blame Mr. Gollop and Co. :P
I could definitely crank up the difficulty to some degree (more aliens, better aliens), but the FMP is not a total conversion, it's more of an add-on. So basic things stay.
You'll probably like my next project better in this regard, since it's pretty heretical in many ways. :)

- unlimited money (workers + rail cannon gives me ca. 2M/workshop/month and i have 4-6 workshops/base).

True, but see the previous point.
Besides, I'm not really interested in the game's economy. X-Com is a combat game, so I don't really mind not having to worry about damn columns in the damned books. :P Because you can't really buy yourself a win here, you still need to do everything yourself - money primarily translates into more bases, which I think is okay.

- harmless UFOs (plasma beam and the only threat is a battleship, but a tormentor can shot a battleship easily down with rail cannons). In X-Com 3 even a smallest UFO can do damage.

What would you like me to do, put a Battleship-class cannon on every Scout? Some UFOs are dangerous, other not so much. That's just how they are. Again, I could change them, but that would be a major change, beside the scope of this mod. Plus, I would have to design it from scratch, since it's rather tricky to balance.

- ground battles are easy, if you are careful (smoke grenades + dog scouts = win)

Maybe you just need a harder game, try X-Piratez :)

Offline wortkarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 11, 2016, 09:12:32 pm »
Take these "useless" weapons from me and I'll bite! :P Shotguns are the best, when use correctly. It's just that not everyone uses compatible tactics. I'm not really heavy on them either, but I know many people consider them too good.
Maybe in early game the shotguns are good, but they are limited. Short range + enemies must have low armor. Sectoids can be easily killed with any weapon, i don't really need the power of the shotgun.

BTW did you know melee attacks don't provoke reaction fire?
But you must come closer to use a knife and the movement provokes reaction fire.

But the cost is rarely above 10 TUs.
My mistake. I have used only the plasma swords (20 TU).

I'm a bit torn here, but at least you can't take many of them (except in base defence) and they prevent you from taking tanks, so there are associated costs.
I would use the tanks, if they costs 200-300k, but 500-1000k (+extra costs) ... Most of the tanks can still be killed with one shot. Sectopods are good (well armored + good damage).

What would you like me to do, put a Battleship-class cannon on every Scout? Some UFOs are dangerous, other not so much.
Many UFOs have the range 42km and plasma beam 45km. Changing the range of the plasma beam to 42km gives the aliens a chance.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 11, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »
Maybe in early game the shotguns are good, but they are limited. Short range + enemies must have low armor. Sectoids can be easily killed with any weapon, i don't really need the power of the shotgun.

That's true. Well, it all depends; OTOH you could be using buckshot then.
I'm not trying to advertise shotguns, but I heard so many good things about them that I can't improve them further, sorry.

But you must come closer to use a knife and the movement provokes reaction fire.

But not when you come from the back. See, I told you it was very situational! :)

My mistake. I have used only the plasma swords (20 TU).

Yeah, they're crap. But should work well on heavy armour (so is mostly useful for aliens).

I would use the tanks, if they costs 200-300k, but 500-1000k (+extra costs) ...

Yeah, but there's usually so much money on your account...

Many UFOs have the range 42km and plasma beam 45km. Changing the range of the plasma beam to 42km gives the aliens a chance.

OK, I'll think about it. Thanks!