aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1603989 times)

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2085 on: January 14, 2016, 04:05:29 am »
The file worked great!  Thanks so much for fixing it so fast!

The palette stuff is due to using lodePNG when loading 8bit PNG's (needed for OSX).

The problem with the png's from those facilities is that the palette is truncated, and the transparency value
is set to something like 255 (if i remember correctly). Apparently SDL by itself honored the transparency layer, while lodepng tries to
set the transparency index before passing it on.

It took me a few attempts to 'fix' those images (i'm not  a pixel guru).
The attached ones should work in the versions before and after commit b3b199c4

Offline ricven

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 14, 2016, 04:20:16 am »
I'm not a fan of the MIB, will removing them from alienRaces_FMP, alienDeployments_FMP, etc break anything?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2087 on: January 19, 2016, 01:35:29 am »
I'm not a fan of the MIB, will removing them from alienRaces_FMP, alienDeployments_FMP, etc break anything?

No, if you also remove them from Missions etc. it should work fine.

BTW are there other palette issues that need to be fixed?

EDIT:

I made a completely new version of Reptoids, see pic. Do you like it more than the original? Please tell me if I should replace them with these.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:16 am »
(un)luckily for me i've not encountered them i my current play through.

But looking at the sources i would say, i prefer this one.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: January 19, 2016, 06:53:14 pm »
Thanks for the input. I'll replace them, and if anyone wants the old sprites, I'll change it back.

I made these new Reptoids for X-Com Files, because I want to have real Tasoths there and so couldn't use their sprites. Besides the new ones (in suits) are much more appropriate for what they are: alien CIA (in accordance with the popular myth).

Anyway, new version will be published tonight, unless I get ideas.

EDIT: New version 1.8.1 available for download.

• Alien Laser Rifle Clip can now be used (but not manufactured) earlier.
  • Increased firepower on Uzi and SMG.
  • On Assault Rifle, autofire takes longer.
  • Fixed Large Living Quarters palette (by R1dO).
  • Fixed broken routes on some maps (with help from Hellrazor).
  • New Reptoid sprites!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2090 on: January 19, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »
Yep, the new Reptoids are Awesome!

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 20, 2016, 08:58:37 pm »
  • Increased firepower on Uzi and SMG.
  • On Assault Rifle, autofire takes longer.

Thanks for the balancing. If I have read the in-game UFOpaedia correct, a full TU turn of Auto-Fire now gives the same expected value for both the Assault Rifle and Sub Machine Gun (with AA Ammunition), while for standard ammo the SMG is 11% better than the Assault Rifle. I can actually see myself using SMG's early on now (in their role as close quarters weaponry, of course), while before - the huge damage advantage of the Assault Rifle made the SMG obsolete from game's start.

But despite the nerf, the Assault Rifle is clearly better than the Rifle (Full TU Auto-Fire). Now a 71% advantage, against a 157% advantage before the reduction from three to two Auto-Fire rounds per turn.

Now it actually makes sense to use SMG's inside UFO's and buildings, Assault Rifles at medium range outdoors (or corridors) and Rifles for open terrain maps (of course, combined with one or two snipers carrying Sniper Rifles - staying at a distance).

Time to start a new 1.8.1 game, testing my conclusions... 8-)

PS!
Obviously, once we see stronger enemies than the early greys, explosives is still the go-to-weapon-of-choice!

Sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 21, 2016, 01:48:29 am »
  • Alien Laser Rifle Clip can now be used (but not manufactured) earlier.
  • New Reptoid sprites!
Thanks for these. The reptoids especially as I just couldn't see them as anything but recolored tasoths.

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 21, 2016, 03:17:13 am »
hi, nice to see the new update and while thats coming up i want to suggest two mods i found some time before and imho worth using paired this mod:

first its the alternative smoke graphics from meridian, at first sight it doesnt look too much, but if you play some missions, you'll notice how usefull is the mod per se, if you see it, you'll notice how its "easier" to see stuff inside smoke and its less annoying.

the second one is overhauled xcom mod from civilian, it changes drastically all the base "textures" into something much better, they make it less "brownish" and more gray metallic one :) . also it brings more light into the base and it looks more military and less cave (you have complete 20 tiles ilumination inside the bases anyways).

i would love to give you the links but sadly i dont have a decent internet now, sorry  :'( :'( :'(...

ps:i am working in a translation into spanish so my brother can play this mod..but after all i also decided to make it in english (im adding fluff text into most of the ufopaedia entries...)so it would be very usefull if someone could provide me a late game save, specially if is one with most (if not all) the entries unlocked, thanks a lot folks!.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:32:11 am by blackwolf »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 21, 2016, 03:11:58 pm »
hi, nice to see the new update and while thats coming up i want to suggest two mods i found some time before and imho worth using paired this mod:

Thank you.

first its the alternative smoke graphics from meridian, at first sight it doesnt look too much, but if you play some missions, you'll notice how usefull is the mod per se, if you see it, you'll notice how its "easier" to see stuff inside smoke and its less annoying.

Robin, not Meridian... Unless you mean the non-animated version. :)

Yeah, I've wanted to do it, but I had some technical problems and then I've met with some resistance as some people really don't like it. So I've finally decided that it's simple enough to use it as a separate mod if anyone wants to. But this could change :)

the second one is overhauled xcom mod from civilian, it changes drastically all the base "textures" into something much better, they make it less "brownish" and more gray metallic one :) . also it brings more light into the base and it looks more military and less cave (you have complete 20 tiles ilumination inside the bases anyways).

Hmm, can you link it? I don't think I've seen it before.

i would love to give you the links but sadly i dont have a decent internet now, sorry  :'( :'( :'(...

...sorry, I take it back :) I'll search for it myself.

ps:i am working in a translation into spanish so my brother can play this mod..but after all i also decided to make it in english (im adding fluff text into most of the ufopaedia entries...)so it would be very usefull if someone could provide me a late game save, specially if is one with most (if not all) the entries unlocked, thanks a lot folks!.

There's a better method:
  • Go to your user folder.
  • Open options.cfg with a text editor.
  • Find a line that says "debug: false" and change it to "debug: true". If it doesn't exist at all, create it.
  • Save the file.
  • Run the game.
  • In Geoscape, press Ctrl+D.
  • Now you have access to all Ufopedia articles, congratulations!

Oh, and I would be grateful for a Spanish translation if you have it. ;)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 22, 2016, 04:25:41 am »
hi compadre...im back to the civilization so i have a much better internet now..those are the mods i talked you about:

smoke(it doesnt have a preview image but imma attatch one later)
https://www.openxcom.com/mod/alternative-smoke

this one actually HAS preview images on it...
https://www.openxcom.com/mod/x-com-base-overhaul

ps: about translator, well im venezuelan so i handle spanish  ;D ;D...if you need help translating the mod i could try to give you one hand on it i guess, if you could send me the files i need to change, or that had not  been translated and i help you, its funny but i preffer to play the game in english xDD.

edit: i found a palete error in the gauss defense building :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:28:44 am by blackwolf »

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 22, 2016, 08:45:57 am »
im sorry for the double post >_<.
pics attached:

the gauss error, a smoke preview(i know it seems weird but if you test in on the game you'll notice a improvement over vainilla smoke imho) and also as a personal doubt..i found a  few "strings" of research topics on the lab...its normal or its an error >_<?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 22, 2016, 12:03:37 pm »
hi compadre...im back to the civilization so i have a much better internet now..those are the mods i talked you about:

Buenos dias! Yeah, thanks for the link. I'll look into it, though I'm not sure if other people will want to change this... I guess more feedback would be nice.

ps: about translator, well im venezuelan so i handle spanish  ;D ;D...if you need help translating the mod i could try to give you one hand on it i guess, if you could send me the files i need to change, or that had not  been translated and i help you, its funny but i preffer to play the game in english xDD.

Well, everything is in the extraStrings.rul file... If you're making a Spanish version, I'd simply like to add it to the general release. If you agree, of course.

edit: i found a palete error in the gauss defense building :)

Oh thanks, I'll have a look at it.

As for the untranslated strings, you shouldn't be seeing these unless you mess with the mod. Not a bug. ;)

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:23 pm »
If you're interested in adding the Extra Explosions mod I already went through and added the effects to the only items I found missing from the original mod.  I've attached the new .rul file.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 25, 2016, 10:54:48 am »
If you're interested in adding the Extra Explosions mod I already went through and added the effects to the only items I found missing from the original mod.  I've attached the new .rul file.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it when I have some time. I somehow missed this.

In other news, new sprites for the Cerebreals are ready. Now I just need to make the Chtonites and their terror units to get away from TFTD graphics. (I'll change the tunluns into something else, too. I have mastered the big unit sprite making and nothing can stop me!)