aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580548 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1395 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
So far I have found use for almost every weapon.
I am struggling with HMG and Minigun though... nobody can carry it... and by the time they'll be able to... well, they won't have to.

In any case, FMP is a masterpiece... and for those, who don't want to go through the torture of compiling a mod pack themselves (make various mods compatible and balanced), I can highly recommend it!

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 03, 2015, 04:13:04 pm »
I'd appreciate some more info on this. Right now I have no idea what exactly is wrong.

I'm doing whatever I can to make all weapons different, and it's not like I'm taking whatever modders produce. Of course people who are ultra-purist will consider some of them superfluous, but I can't really satisfy them and I'm not planning to try.

Besides, everything in the FMP is meshed together, so you can't really install "things from FMP" any more than "things from TFTD". :P
mmm this mod is greatest. Make the game more bigger and complete. The people that play first time may be find a little hard but for veterans that play the game. This is the more bigger. I play the game minimum 1 time for year and I play minimum 15 years and more. And this last year with this mos is the greatest game that I play in my life. This is my preferred game and mod

Great work and thx for the lot of time to do this and update regularly

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1397 on: May 03, 2015, 04:30:37 pm »
Thanks for the nice words guys. Though I wouldn't mind to hear some deserved criticism. ;)

But! 1.4 is online. It was a bit quick, I know, but I had some free time this weekend and used it well.

• Added the AWACS mod, by redv (Hawkeye battle map by Dioxine).
  • Added a Gauss Defences base facility.
  • Added an E-115 grenade for the Grenade Launcher.
  • Made a proper Scout Drone weapon sprite.
  • Added some missing Elerium recovery options (Plasma Sniper Rifle Clip, Elerium Bomb).
  • Fixed a small bug regarding Dart Rifle clips research.
  • Faster minigun bullets.
  • Tweaked some list orders.
  • Updated the Spanish version (by arrakis69ct).
  • Some fixes to the Polish version.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 03, 2015, 05:09:58 pm »
A lot of new stuff, you really had a lot of time this weekend ;-)

Two comments:

1. dependencies:
      - STR_CELATID_CORPSE
      - STR_SILACOID_CORPSE

are still wrong... should be autopsy instead of corpse.

2. did you replace small radar by workshop in starting base by design or by accident?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1399 on: May 03, 2015, 05:36:17 pm »
A lot of new stuff, you really had a lot of time this weekend ;-)

Two comments:

1. dependencies:
      - STR_CELATID_CORPSE
      - STR_SILACOID_CORPSE

are still wrong... should be autopsy instead of corpse.

Huh... Huh. :o

2. did you replace small radar by workshop in starting base by design or by accident?

Ouch. :P Needs fixing.

EDIT: Fixed and uploaded as 1.4b.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:42:31 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35:52 am »
the mod site might need another kick -- 1.4b doesn't seem to be downloadable from https://www.openxcom.com/mod/final-mod-pack/download/91e0d2e8

edit: maybe Jo5hua is doing something with the site right now -- nothing seems to be downloadable at the moment

edit: ok, all good now.

One thing I noticed is that STR_LAPAZ is not defined for en-US.  It's in en-GB, but not en-US.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:57:33 am by myk002 »

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 04, 2015, 12:59:58 pm »
I'd appreciate some more info on this. Right now I have no idea what exactly is wrong.

I'm doing whatever I can to make all weapons different, and it's not like I'm taking whatever modders produce. Of course people who are ultra-purist will consider some of them superfluous, but I can't really satisfy them and I'm not planning to try.

Besides, everything in the FMP is meshed together, so you can't really install "things from FMP" any more than "things from TFTD". :P

Okay, I'll bite...

I'd guess that these feelings have several causes. One of them is the sheer scope of the mod and the time it takes to research all the options. Many weapons are obsolete by the time a player researches them. However, I see no remedy for this, because if you do want to offer various options to suit different playstyles AND you need to keep the research slow enough to keep the game reasonably balanced then there'll will likely always be weapons a player will skip at first and find useless later on.

Another problem is that of micromanagement. The more weapon types and loadouts one has in a squad, the more time it takes to manage it all. And even one dead/wounded/sacked/transfered soldier can lead to more micromanagement and even soldiers becoming stronger with experience can lead to yet more micromanagement. Logistics of it all add even more micromanagement when a player has to track stocks of five or ten or more different ammo types.

And some weapons have do very narrow niches or are next to useless. If I was to select a few examples, I'd pick these:
- miniguns; they are defensive weapons but the game is mostly about assault missions
- HMG; the same problem as with the minigun, plus sniper rifles are usually much better alternative
- SMGs and shotguns; short range firefights are to be avoided, so short-ranged weapons are a problem
- incendiary anything; the flame damage is so low as to make them next to useless damage-wise, flares suffice for nighttime missions that can't be avoided
- fusion weapons; too specialized to be worth their weight for most of the time

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 04, 2015, 01:28:33 pm »
depending of your sistem of assault.

i use the shotguns with alloy ammo. i never assault in open. i try ever hidde my troops. and i prefer close combat(discover,move,shoot,hide), now i discover gauss weapons 5 months later. i know but shock a engeneer has been hard in this party for me XD

miniguns are perfect if you use a defensive base, similar to the hmg and lmg, when you have a soldier ready for use you have more advanced weapons to assault.

incendary........ light in nights only

and the fusion i dont have experience

and the general tactic, explosions explosion and more explosions XD..... when no have missiles shotguns XD

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 04, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
i have a dude with the awacs, the awacs detect only ships in flight??? detect alien bases??? detect mib bases and ships?? detect hibrids???

this is for put in her descrption in the translation. thx

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 04, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

And some weapons have do very narrow niches or are next to useless. If I was to select a few examples, I'd pick these:
- miniguns; they are defensive weapons but the game is mostly about assault missions
- HMG; the same problem as with the minigun, plus sniper rifles are usually much better alternative
- SMGs and shotguns; short range firefights are to be avoided, so short-ranged weapons are a problem
- incendiary anything; the flame damage is so low as to make them next to useless damage-wise, flares suffice for nighttime missions that can't be avoided
- fusion weapons; too specialized to be worth their weight for most of the time

This finds me in tottal agreement, except the shotguns part. I always had in my roster a group of shotgunners for 2 reasons:
1)They usually had very bad aim, thus scatter shot training
2)UFO assaults and terror missions usually end up in close quarters fighting. Its more effective to have a shotgunner enter the building/ufo and clean house than a rifle totting dude. Plus, with the single shot AP ammo after a while they do more damage vs specific targets than rifles, even with alloy tips before you unloclk them lazors.

And a personal one to the list would be said lazors. IDK for you but I prefered the accuracy of the Gauss tech to the burst of the lazers. Then again this is subjective because in my first run, I had a very minimal casualty rate.

i have a dude with the awacs, the awacs detect only ships in flight??? detect alien bases??? detect mib bases and ships?? detect hibrids???

this is for put in her descrption in the translation. thx

Unless something changed in the mechanics of the mod in the latest version, MIB and Hybrid missions spawn up as normal UFO And then immediately land. Even the base type missions. If the AWACS is just a mobile radar it can detect everything normally (that is based on its detection chance).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:55:07 pm by pilot00 »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 04, 2015, 02:24:57 pm »
thx for the info.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/ei7swvsw1yv7vo1/trans.txt

new translation update

i change hawkeye to bat. in spanish sound better "ojo de gavilan -> Murcielago" and a bat is a natural radar XD
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:35:25 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 04, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »
may be this a error

STR_GAUSS_DEFENSES: -> STR_GAUSS_DEFENSE:
STR_GAUSS_DEFENSES_UFOPEDIA: -> STR_GAUSS_DEFENSE_UFOPEDIA

and a posiblebug in this sav in this position the rocketer fails ever in the iron fist with aimed shot

https://www.mediafire.com/download/jkbuup8cvrqdg48/_quick_.asav

https://steamcommunity.com/id/arrakis69ct/screenshots/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:52:46 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 04, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »
depending of your sistem of assault.

i use the shotguns with alloy ammo. i never assault in open. i try ever hidde my troops. and i prefer close combat(discover,move,shoot,hide), now i discover gauss weapons 5 months later. i know but shock a engeneer has been hard in this party for me XD

miniguns are perfect if you use a defensive base, similar to the hmg and lmg, when you have a soldier ready for use you have more advanced weapons to assault.

incendary........ light in nights only

and the fusion i dont have experience

and the general tactic, explosions explosion and more explosions XD..... when no have missiles shotguns XD

Like I said, different playstyles  :)
And I'll concede the shotguns to some degree, truth is I've used them for some base defences in the past.

However, I don't like CQB. Reaction fire can be a pain in the posterior and the RNG is a vengeful god. So I roll in with a HWP in a scouting role, drop some smoke and try to shoot the aliens from beyond their visibility range.My preferred CQB weapons are high explosive, LMG and multilauncher. So I don't have much use for SMGs or shotguns. But I'm *happy* that they're there, they do add more options and require no research of their own (unless you do want to use them).

But miniguns? Too heavy to give to regular troops, too low power to give to those few soldiers who can use heavy weapons because I need those to carry more hard-hitting weapons like rocket launchers, multilaunchers, sniper rifles etc. Much better to defend my bases with proximity grenades, high explosives, HWPs and whatever my regular weapons are at the moment.

Incendiary? Flares are light, require few TUs, last the whole fight unless blown up and all soldiers can use both flares and damage-dealing weapons. Giving a soldier incendiary weapon means he's basically only useful for illuminating the battlefield and in some terrains he's unable to do that on most of said battlefield because most incendiary weapons are direct-fire. So I remain unconvinced.

And I do agree about the explosives. In fact I'm still thinking about modding in a light mortar, something like L9A1. But I'll take grenades, high explosives, rockets, proximity grenades and grenade launchers too  :)

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 04, 2015, 06:26:10 pm »
You are not doing anything wrong, I just find some of the weapons get replaced at a pace where you can not use them for good duration of time. Its more of a problem how fast research is done.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 04, 2015, 06:57:59 pm »
As far as incendiary goes, I found the flamethrower to be invaluable in taking out cyberdiscs and reapers.  After watching Meridian use them so effectively on his LP, I've been taking a few with me on every mission.