aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1602666 times)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1230 on: April 04, 2015, 11:45:47 pm »
Either way, I don't mind. You could pack both rulesets into the same zip file and let the players turn it on or off as they want, so there's no need for compromise.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1231 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

Quinch, I went through your work and applied it in the FMP. I took: all Snakemen (except for the Medic, which doesn't exist in the game) and shuffled the colours a little bit, all Floaters (made bigobs too), Sectoid Commander (not the other ranks, I didn't want all of them to wear circlets).
I didn't touch the Mutons because they were already using custom sprites, Reptoids because I want completely new sprites for them, or Chtonites because I can't see why they would different in colour.

Either way, I don't mind. You could pack both rulesets into the same zip file and let the players turn it on or off as they want, so there's no need for compromise.

Maybe, but FMP is supposed to be a no-brainer to install, so I didn't want to burden the players with such decisions. Besides, I think additional visual cues are fair in this case, with live capture being crucial and so on. Veterans already have a fairly good idea on who is where.

Offline lordmatiz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »
Hey! My game crashes at terror mission.
I believe it is because of that terror unit inside building (managed to kill him - then I've finished mission without any further problems).
Savegame attached.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
I believe it is because of that terror unit inside building (managed to kill him - then I've finished mission without any further problems).
Savegame attached.

*scratch scratch*

No idea why. Maybe some old maps problem?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 05, 2015, 07:41:36 pm »
Savegame attached.

What is the terror unit behavior that causes the game to crash?

Offline lordmatiz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 05, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »
I've have absolutely no idea. Propably movement? Other units worked fine, just like this one up untill that moment.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 05, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
Just loaded the save, and the culprit is a Snakeman that panics and then it crashes. I've got no idea why though.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1237 on: April 05, 2015, 11:50:39 pm »
Just loaded the save, and the culprit is a Snakeman that panics and then it crashes. I've got no idea why though.

Drops an item for which the floorOb crashes it? 

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 06, 2015, 12:02:38 am »
Drops an item for which the floorOb crashes it?

It has already dropped its plasma rifle and it is carrying vanilla items.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:37 am »
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point of the LMG? I just installed the mod a few days ago, and I've yet to find a decent reason to use the weapon. It's not totally useless, but I couldn't find anything it could do that other weapons weren't better at.

The LMG isn't impressive at area denial and squad support. The range and accuracy is too low to safely cover a leap frog forward.

The LMG doesn't seem to be great for an offensive point man or a defensive vanguard. It's too slow for a scout to rush and fire with. It doesn't do enough damage to hold against mass attack. It might be good marching forward in a tight urban environment, but it seems awkward to fire and doesn't reliably kill things.

The LMG is light and effective at close range, but are other weapons. In a mano-a-mano breach I would rather trust the shotgun and the magnum. They also have the benefit of extra range. When hitting a bunch of targets close together, I'd rather use a flamethrower (or possibly a minigun-I don't really understand those weapons either).

In short, I feel like the LMG does everything in a mediocre way with poor adaptability. Any LMG fans out there to prove me wrong?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 06, 2015, 12:19:11 pm »
I'm not sure my voice counts, but I personally use LMGs regularly. Both them and the HMG have very good autofire accuracy (relatively speaking) and are therefore good at mid-range combat.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1241 on: April 06, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
LMG started to be really useful when I've bumped up the autofire range to 20. Before that, not so much - it suffers from Accuracy Extender's "autofire only when 1 tile away" problem. Definitely didn't phase out shotguns or rifles either, as it offers neither fast shot or long-ranged accurate shot.
Another school is to do it like Hobbes did in his Redux - his LMG has laughable TU costs for all types of shots - but I'm not sure if it's the right way, as it makes a machinegun scout's weapon.

Otoh FMP's LMG might simply not suit my playing style which is either go for a sure kill at 1-3 tile range or snipe from outside enemies' FOV.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:29:44 pm by Dioxine »

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 06, 2015, 08:53:21 pm »
I'm not sure my voice counts, but I personally use LMGs regularly. Both them and the HMG have very good autofire accuracy (relatively speaking) and are therefore good at mid-range combat.

How do you use them? I've always felt that the accuracy was too poor to use the LMG effectively at mid-range. In terms of raw DPS, the magnum is better. If it's important that something needs to be dead that turn and I can't get a sniper/grenade launcher on it, I like to use the flamethrower. I feel that the guaranteed kill range of the flamethrower and the LMG are fairly similar.

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 06, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »
Haven't got a lot things to contribute to the discussion at hand but I got something else.

I tried to talk my brother into playing FMP which stopped at the hurdle that the FMP hasn't got a German localization. After a few hours I got something that borders to a 70% or something complete translation to German. Except for the meta tech, alien missions as well alien descriptions and a few other things, everything should be translated. Didn't get around to the Gauss and Plasma weapons yet though but I want to share what I got anyway. I didn't replace the previous existing lines. Perhaps I might end up completing it next weekend, unless someone else wants to finish it. Proof-reading is welcomed.

Next thing on the agenda is that there is a hole in the Skymarshall. See gamesave. Just load the save and fire with Zdenka at the target from where she stands.

And I modded my game so Railguns require the entire Gauss + Laser tree first. I got them at the end of August after postponing Laser Weapons for a while. The Heavy Gauss put a lot of holes into those MiB armored troops but I got scared of the Muton stories in this very thread even though I haven't met a single of them yet. I suppose I could have gotten them by July or August. But I was pretty surprised that there was no individual gun (pistol + rifle + ...) research. Oh well, I don't know whether they should or not. But I would increase the research cost for the Railguns by a tenfold. And september seems to be a good time to finally rock with Rails out.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:56 pm »
I tried to talk my brother into playing FMP which stopped at the hurdle that the FMP hasn't got a German localization. After a few hours I got something that borders to a 70% or something complete translation to German. Except for the meta tech, alien missions as well alien descriptions and a few other things, everything should be translated. Didn't get around to the Gauss and Plasma weapons yet though but I want to share what I got anyway. I didn't replace the previous existing lines. Perhaps I might end up completing it next weekend, unless someone else wants to finish it. Proof-reading is welcomed.

Wow, that's great. I'll be happy to add it to the mod, when I get around to adding translations.

Next thing on the agenda is that there is a hole in the Skymarshall. See gamesave. Just load the save and fire with Zdenka at the target from where she stands.

Yeah, I know. I've fixed it already, will be in the next release.

And I modded my game so Railguns require the entire Gauss + Laser tree first. I got them at the end of August after postponing Laser Weapons for a while. The Heavy Gauss put a lot of holes into those MiB armored troops but I got scared of the Muton stories in this very thread even though I haven't met a single of them yet. I suppose I could have gotten them by July or August. But I was pretty surprised that there was no individual gun (pistol + rifle + ...) research. Oh well, I don't know whether they should or not. But I would increase the research cost for the Railguns by a tenfold. And september seems to be a good time to finally rock with Rails out.

I've already added STR_LASER_WEAPONS to the prerequisites. I didn't want separate projects for all the railguns because I thought it would be a pain to research a number of weapons AGAIN, but then maybe I should.