Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580296 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1215 on: April 02, 2015, 11:42:43 pm »
How about a "turniquet"?

Tourniquet  is actually a decent idea, because it takes time to apply one.  :)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #1216 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:30 pm »
How do you insure that the trooper remains unconscious?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1217 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:54 pm »
How do you insure that the trooper remains unconscious?

The trooper lost health to a certain point and gained some stun from the damage that they took. 
They lost consciousness because the Stun is more than their remaining health.
They are bleeding out.

You tourniquet them, and stop the bleeding. 
Stun damage decreases 1 pt per round, so it is possible, as you imply that they could "come to" but they would be most likely very low health.

If you had used a med kit, you would have stopped the bleeding and boosted health a bit which usually brings their health back above stun level and they regain consciousness, often immediately.

So with this idea, its just much more likely they will stay down longer.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 03, 2015, 02:41:49 am »
Tourniquet  is actually a decent idea, because it takes time to apply one.  :)

Yep.  Lightweight, but more difficult to apply to the injured compared to a "healing spray".  It's old but effective technology. They only stop bleeding.  So you can give it higher time units than the standard medi-kits or first-aid kits (if possible) to help balance it out.

Thanks for the spelling correction :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:45:38 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1219 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:54 pm »
I think this is a good tool early, to keep troops from dying out.... it should have a high $$ cost though (and TU?), to keep the First Aid Kit somewhat relevant.  Otherwise, it would just make the First Aid Kit obsolete.  If you don't add health, a downed trooper, would be stabilized (they won't bleed out) but they wouldn't regain consciousness.  I like it. :)

Thanks Ivan.

Actually it would be possible to add an item that heals wounds but deals damage (scalpel?). But I think it'd be too hardcore. :P

How about a "turniquet"?

Maybe. Or bandages. The actual form is a minor decision here. I think a spray dispenser would be easier to manage in the inventory... Okay, to be frank, I have no idea how to draw it properly to fit the game. :P

Offline zetzet13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 03, 2015, 03:16:53 pm »
Regarding those early life savers.

In first aid skin adhesives are used.
That is nothing more than sterile super glue,

For unmanageable bleeding there's fibrin glue which is basically poured into the wound.

Last but not least there are medical staplers.

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:51 pm »
I have spent some time thinking about the topic of weapon tiers. Gauss and Laser seem to be okay as Laser has extra non-random non-meta requisites. For rail though if you interrogate enough aliens you can essentially skip Gauss entirely which kinda sucks. Looking at the Gauss Rifle's description it states that Gauss weapons have problems with over-heating which might be due to the power system or whatever explanation.

So the first idea was to add an extra research for cooling systems which can be applied to the experience with Gauss weaponry to allow for more powerful but not over-heating weapons. That would have been another of those random meta research topics which wouldn't have solved the problem assuming you would interrogate enough aliens before.

Following on those thoughts the second idea was to add more meta research which would be the requirement for more meta research. The idea boils down that you have to research items-based research topics first such as each item part of the Gauss Weaponry. Once all of them are researched you would get a topic with preliminary research to cooling components. The results would basically state that we need more cooling but we don't know how exactly to do it, but we have prepared a set of questions for the next alien engineer who visits us. This would be the prerequisite for obtaining the actual cooling systems meta research topic allowing the development of rail guns.
But I don't think that adding even more meta research is a good gameplay mechanic as the player probably wants to get something for every milestone.

The third and last idea is connected to that the UFO power generator has an efficiency of 99% and therefore hardly creates waste (=thermal) energy using Elerium-115. The Gauss tier would represent the first dabbling in advanced kinetic weapons while the Laser tier represents dabbling into weapons using E-115 which also deals with the temperature problem. With the experience made in both trees the scientists create a kinetic weapon which is using an extremely efficient power source with the lessons learned about cooling Laser weapons. They can get rid of the heat problem sufficiently to allow auto-fire on all rail-guns and beefing up the damage at the same time. In terms of gameplay one would have to research every Gauss and Laser item and then you get the rail-guns topic. Together with the antimatter containment there would be enough requirements which are obtainable before going to the Plasma tier.

---
For something different: I don't know how Elerium fuel works but if the Sentinel really takes Elerium and it has a fuelmax of 400, does that mean it requires 400 units of E115 to refuel it completely?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 03, 2015, 04:20:27 pm »
Regarding those early life savers.

In first aid skin adhesives are used.
That is nothing more than sterile super glue,

For unmanageable bleeding there's fibrin glue which is basically poured into the wound.

Last but not least there are medical staplers.

Yes, that's precisely what I meant. Though I haven't yet decided.

I have spent some time thinking about the topic of weapon tiers. Gauss and Laser seem to be okay as Laser has extra non-random non-meta requisites. For rail though if you interrogate enough aliens you can essentially skip Gauss entirely which kinda sucks. Looking at the Gauss Rifle's description it states that Gauss weapons have problems with over-heating which might be due to the power system or whatever explanation.

So the first idea was to add an extra research for cooling systems which can be applied to the experience with Gauss weaponry to allow for more powerful but not over-heating weapons. That would have been another of those random meta research topics which wouldn't have solved the problem assuming you would interrogate enough aliens before.

That's basically how the tree already works. It is assumed that the anti-matter containment tech provides tools for energy management on unprecedented levels, which allows you to build a heat sink big enough. There could be an empty (meta) tech that like STR_SUPERHEAT_STORAGE gets unlocked with anti-matter containment and leads to railguns, but I'm not really keen on empty tech which gives you nothing - better incorporate it into the proper end research and make it more expensive. Unless there would be something else that STR_SUPERHEAT_STORAGE leads to, but I don't know what.

Following on those thoughts the second idea was to add more meta research which would be the requirement for more meta research. The idea boils down that you have to research items-based research topics first such as each item part of the Gauss Weaponry. Once all of them are researched you would get a topic with preliminary research to cooling components. The results would basically state that we need more cooling but we don't know how exactly to do it, but we have prepared a set of questions for the next alien engineer who visits us. This would be the prerequisite for obtaining the actual cooling systems meta research topic allowing the development of rail guns.
But I don't think that adding even more meta research is a good gameplay mechanic as the player probably wants to get something for every milestone.

Precisely. All it would accomplish would be making the tech tree much more complicated and harder to control, with plethora of research that gives you nothing. So I'm not convinced, unless there's more stuff to unlock or whatever.

The third and last idea is connected to that the UFO power generator has an efficiency of 99% and therefore hardly creates waste (=thermal) energy using Elerium-115. The Gauss tier would represent the first dabbling in advanced kinetic weapons while the Laser tier represents dabbling into weapons using E-115 which also deals with the temperature problem. With the experience made in both trees the scientists create a kinetic weapon which is using an extremely efficient power source with the lessons learned about cooling Laser weapons. They can get rid of the heat problem sufficiently to allow auto-fire on all rail-guns and beefing up the damage at the same time. In terms of gameplay one would have to research every Gauss and Laser item and then you get the rail-guns topic. Together with the antimatter containment there would be enough requirements which are obtainable before going to the Plasma tier.

So you basically mean adding all Laser Weapons as a prerequisite to Railguns? Sure, we could do that.

For something different: I don't know how Elerium fuel works but if the Sentinel really takes Elerium and it has a fuelmax of 400, does that mean it requires 400 units of E115 to refuel it completely?

Frankly? I never bothered to check. :P

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 03, 2015, 07:42:56 pm »
So you basically mean adding all Laser Weapons as a prerequisite to Railguns? Sure, we could do that.
plus all Gauss weapons if I had my way  ;).

Frankly? I never bothered to check. :P
I was curious enough to check. With the help of savegame editing I found out that the Sentinel requires 16 E115 and the Firestorm 4.
This matches if you compare fuelMax to refuelRate.
Sentinel [fuelMax = 400; refuelRate = 25]: 400 / 25 = 16
Firestorm [fuelMax = 20; refuelRate = 5]: 20 / 5 = 4
I'd assume it's the same for all others.
And I finally understand what Dioxine means by "milage" for Piratez crafts.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 04, 2015, 06:10:14 am »
Just a quick mention regarding all the engineer woes - a little while back I made a sidemod for FMP that recolors or highlights aliens to indicate which rank they hold. So far I haven't hit any bugs, but if anyone's interested, there's an old thread with the download link here.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 04, 2015, 11:14:10 am »
Just a quick mention regarding all the engineer woes - a little while back I made a sidemod for FMP that recolors or highlights aliens to indicate which rank they hold. So far I haven't hit any bugs, but if anyone's interested, there's an old thread with the download link here.

Thanks, I've been considering it too. Actually, some races already have distinct Engineers - Mutons (those black Geordi-goggles dudes) and Waspites (they share their green colour with Soldiers).

I'll think about it.

EDIT:

I will certainly incorporate some of this into FMP (if you agree), except for those which already have different sprites.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:43:31 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 04, 2015, 11:50:08 am »
If you want to delay a weapon tier like Rail or Gauss appearance in the game, you can set up some artifical thresholds, requiring a lot of scientists and engineers hours investment, as well as a huge sum of money. Call it Prototyping.

How it may work:
You get a Gauss Weapons tech (for example) after the same unlocks as now, but it will be just theoretical stuff. Gauss Weapons tech would provide you with manufactoring option - a Handheld Gauss Weapon Prototype. This prototype will cost a lot of money and engineer hours to manufacture.
After a prototype is complete you will be able to research it, consuming the prototype in a process, and unlocking actual Gauss weapons.
To make sure Prototype doesnt just clog up manufactoring list, you may actually make it profitable to sell it on the market.

Lasers wouldnt need a prototype - there is already an Alien Lasrifle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 04, 2015, 11:55:15 am »
If you want to delay a weapon tier like Rail or Gauss appearance in the game, you can set up some artifical thresholds, requiring a lot of scientists and engineers hours investment, as well as a huge sum of money. Call it Prototyping.

How it may work:
You get a Gauss Weapons tech (for example) after the same unlocks as now, but it will be just theoretical stuff. Gauss Weapons tech would provide you with manufactoring option - a Handheld Gauss Weapon Prototype. This prototype will cost a lot of money and engineer hours to manufacture.
After a prototype is complete you will be able to research it, consuming the prototype in a process, and unlocking actual Gauss weapons.
To make sure Prototype doesnt just clog up manufactoring list, you may actually make it profitable to sell it on the market.

Lasers wouldnt need a prototype - there is already an Alien Lasrifle.

It's a very interesting idea and I hope I won't forget about it, but I don't think Gauss weapons need more delay.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 04, 2015, 10:30:11 pm »
I will certainly incorporate some of this into FMP (if you agree), except for those which already have different sprites.

If you want, go right ahead. I do remember some of the posters objecting to it when I initially introduced it, though, since the random factor adds to the difficulty and some like it that way.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 04, 2015, 11:29:20 pm »
If you want, go right ahead. I do remember some of the posters objecting to it when I initially introduced it, though, since the random factor adds to the difficulty and some like it that way.

It is controversial, but I made this decision a long time ago. I just didn't have the sprites for many alien classes.