Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580223 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #870 on: October 28, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
Yep, I had the same conclusion, but Falko beat me to it. :) Thanks!

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 28, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »
So, I've got a random question for you guys. Are there any aliens which have high HP but low armor?

I ask because I've been playing around with different weapons a bit lately, and it occurs to me that a lot of the high shot number, low damage weapons are cool, but ultimately seem pretty useless for anything other than accuracy training. Has anyone been able to make good use of things like the SMG or miniguns or plasma casters?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 28, 2014, 08:11:43 pm »
That's a question I asked myself as well, since I want to use shotguns and other short range, high number of shots weapons as breaching weapons. Once you look into it, aliens actually have very low armour values most of the time.

Just looking at Front Armours (since that's usually the highest), it barely goes above 50 (gazers, ethereals, sectopods) and usually 35 looks like a lot (Cyberdiscs have 34, mutons ~30), with 10-20 looking like the normal range.

Most tough aliens indeed seem to fall in the "low armour, high HP category". ~10 armour/70 health for anthropods, ~30/140 for mutons, ~15/65 for reptoids. Regular/weak aliens have 5-15 armour and ~40 health. The only balanced aliens are gazers (~70 armour and health) and ethereals (~50 for both).

By opposition, XCom personal armour is already 50 for front armour, 100 for power armour! The MiB also has more armour than health, because they use similar armours as XCom.

The FMP shotgun type weapons indeed have damage issue, with the plasma caster capping at 35 even 5 hits will do little damage. That's especially true for aliens shooting at XCom troopers wearing even personal armour (70% chance of no damage for a hit, 1-20 damage if you "roll" high against personal armour with EU damage rules and 95% chance of no damage with TftD rule, up to 3 damage).

Bringing the plasma caster up to pistol damage (~50) already could be huge improvement and would help the aliens too. If a plasma pistol can do 50 damage 3 times with an autoshot, it doesn't seem outlandish that a weapon designed for short range mayhem could do the same at the cost of long range capabilities, but that's for Solarius to consider.

For the endgame armoured aliens (Mutons, Gazers, Ethereals), I think it makes sense that you would need to bring heavier weaponry. Heavy Laser/Plasma rifles work pretty well with their ~80 damage. Afterall, you don't destroy a tank with one million pistol shots, you use one AT missile, it's similar in this case: You need some extra punch.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:19:48 pm by Arthanor »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 28, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »
Bringing the plasma caster up to pistol damage (~50) already could be huge improvement and would help the aliens too. If a plasma pistol can do 50 damage 3 times with an autoshot, it doesn't seem outlandish that a weapon designed for short range mayhem could do the same at the cost of long range capabilities, but that's for Solarius to consider.

I thought about it a lot and finally settled on how it is now. The reasons:
1) I wanted a weapon that can actually be survived by an unarmoured X-com trooper with no extraordinary luck, yet is not weak.
2) I also wanted a weapon that would be unique.
3) There aren't many plasma casters on the battlefield, so it's not that much of an issue. And even if an alien has a plasma caster and you're wearing a power suit, well... they also have grenades...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 28, 2014, 09:50:16 pm »
Fair enough. The idea of a "mass destruction" but relatively weak weapon in the early stage of the game is actually quite interesting. It shows the contempt of the aliens for humans: "We can murder them by the dozens" kind of. The use for late game become more limited however.

It's too bad that aliens can't handle multiple weapons, or think: "This guy is wearing a power suit, I better throw a grenade instead of firing my pistol."

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:50 pm »
Hi,

Me again...I just researched fusion weapons calibration (finally, capturing aliens way more dangerous than killing em).

Problem I am having now is it seems I still cant use plasma weaps.  The research report i got said I could now use alien weapons found on battlefield.  My stores are stuffed full of plasma stuff but won't let me equip on my crafts.  Am i missing some more research to use em?

sav  and cfg attached if that helps.

Thanks!

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:21 am »
You need more research. The energy contention of delta gamma. You need interrogate leaders or engineers. I think

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 29, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »
Yeah, that worked, I must have read fusion weapons calibration wrong, I got a leader or two and now I have plasma, payback to MIB was sweeeeeeeeeet

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 30, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
Any plans to integrate YetMoreUFOs here?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »
Any plans to integrate YetMoreUFOs here?

Yeah... when I find the time.  ::)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:53 pm »
The mini gun hand sprite seem to be a little mixed up. Attached is a corrected version.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:36 pm »
The mini gun hand sprite seem to be a little mixed up. Attached is a corrected version.

Wow, I don't know when this happened. Thanks!

In other news, I've started adding some UFOs from Grzegorz's Yet More UFOs! mod.

EDIT:

I'm thinking of adding sonic weapons from TFTD, giving them High Explosive damage type but with 0 radius, so they'd behave like any normal shooting weapon (Dioxine came up with this). But I haven't yet found a way to implement this in a logical way, so I think I'll pass for now...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:09:23 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 03, 2014, 11:48:34 am »
PLease add them, if anyone can do that in a logical and cool way than you (ok and maybe Dioxine, too)  :)

This weekend I took a closer look at the newest version and...

I like it a lot!

You really managed to give XCom the feeling of a new game, it is more (in a good way) like Xenonauts or something now, lots of weapons implemented in a way that makes sense, clever research trees (-the things the aliens leave, won't spoil here too much), the new races (The Hybrid ones are cool), the new crafts.

And the scout armour is very cleverly implemented, too, I really like the way you added them to the game (found on certain units and need to be researched)

Wow.  8)
I have to admit the last time I tested the (older) vversion I did not have the time to test it thoroughly, but now that I had: Really nice and complete package, sir.

And three times yes, add those new UFOs!

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 12, 2014, 11:57:08 pm »
I've just started a new game with the newest version and noticed, that from the beginning you can "manufacture" suit extraction from MiB. Maybe add Investigate MiB as a prerequisite?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:46 am »
I've just started a new game with the newest version and noticed, that from the beginning you can "manufacture" suit extraction from MiB. Maybe add Investigate MiB as a prerequisite?

That wouldn't be logical, as MiBs are normal humans wearing human armour. I don't think it would be impossible to wear a Personal Armour taken from a dead body. But okay, I'll think about it.