aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1581170 times)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #810 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »
There seems to be an issue with the Ironfist, unless that's WAI - its range doesn't seem to cover the entire globe, thus going from Siberia to South America results in a low fuel message before the transport can reach the destination.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 06, 2014, 01:19:59 am »
The ironfist have low cover range. In your case use the base in usa and create the 2 intervention team XD

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #812 on: October 06, 2014, 02:54:13 am »
Well, it's an early design, without even needing the Elerium to be completely understood. What did you expect? :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 06, 2014, 12:10:53 pm »
Thanks! I've been your fan for a long time (assuming you're the same Civilian), so it matters a lot to me.

BTW, I ran into some problems with the MiB, but don't worry - I'm working on it.

Yes, I am, I only changed my email-account and re-registered.  :)

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #814 on: October 06, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
There seems to be an issue with the Ironfist, unless that's WAI - its range doesn't seem to cover the entire globe, thus going from Siberia to South America results in a low fuel message before the transport can reach the destination.
Forget Ironfists. They consume precious E-115 and have short effective range. Use Skyrangers or alloy versions. Still, keep two squadrons in arms is a good idea.

Anyway, I need some technical help. More precisely have some maybe unorthodox questions:
- How can I code flamethrower as an organic weapon (clipsize: -1) for an alien? I want firebreath...
- How does a code looks like what give weapons to specific alien races exclusively (instead of plasma to use)?
- Where need to put the descriptive codes of the second terror races? Afterall, there is need some order in the ruleset to keep or the game could handle no matter how mixed the code is (I mean some codes for research is in the end while a few other entries in the beginning and such)? I saw that different mods' rulesets use different shorting methods for the codes...

Just wonder if MiB craft could jam our intercepting radars alien vessels why can't do that? A more advanced race may not have any problem to do so, right?

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 07, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »
- How does a code looks like what give weapons to specific alien races exclusively (instead of plasma to use)?

You can't, unless you use built-in weapons. That is, you need to create new mission types, new UFOs and new alien deployments. And you only let say new race X appear in NewMissionX. Trouble is, the mission might come up even in January, so you might have to let e.g. Floaters take race X's place for the first few months and use vanilla weapons on the first itemlevel. Not a perfect solution, though, as some floaters will be seen with the new weapons too. Or you might create the first itemlevel and the new race as a whole weak enough to remain reasonably beatable with human weapons.

- Where need to put the descriptive codes of the second terror races? Afterall, there is need some order in the ruleset to keep or the game could handle no matter how mixed the code is (I mean some codes for research is in the end while a few other entries in the beginning and such)? I saw that different mods' rulesets use different shorting methods for the codes...

Does this help?
Code: [Select]
alienRaces:
  - id: STR_NEWRACE
    members:
      - STR_NEWRACE_COMMANDER
      - STR_NEWRACE_LEADER
      - STR_NEWRACE_ENGINEER
      - STR_NEWRACE_MEDIC
      - STR_NEWRACE_NAVIGATOR
      - STR_NEWRACE_SOLDIER
      - STR_TERRORIST1
      - STR_TERRORIST2

This is where you define what string ID/unit name fills which role. Say you create a unit named STR_Galaxy_Overlord. You use this name instead of the STR_NEWRACE_COMMANDER in the example above and the Galaxy Overlord will serve as that race's commander.

There's no set order for the various sections in a ruleset file. You can use IDs in a rulefile even if you define them fifty lines later. Just make sure you never define a section twice in one file, i.e. you should never put say two "regions:" into one rulefile.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:37 pm »
Tested the mod yesterday more thoroughly and found some glitches and things that seemed odd.:

-Many Ufopedia entries are visible from start that shouldn't be (mostly the alien-alloy related equipment)
-The Machete does 0 damage according to the Ufopedia.? (maybe you are using a strength-applied approach on it, haven't checked that)
-The Hazmat Armor... well, it seems rather useless, sure it is nice to have full protection from flames, but the armor strength is terrible, making it something to avoid. A small boost would be fine imo.
-The Stormtrooper armour inventory screens... They are somewhat .... odd. They look out of place or unproportionakl or something , I can't put my finger on it.

I really liked some features:

-The researches for proxy grenades and other things
-The nice selection of weapons
-The new MIB weaponry
-The slowed-down game
-Aliens!!!

The mod contains a good and very complete selection of addons, well done, the small glitches however make it feel a bit unfinished, especially the Ufopedia entries were a bit immersion-breaking for me. Apart form that: This is a keeper!  :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:56:19 pm by new_civilian »

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 09, 2014, 12:59:44 pm »
I am playing third game with this mod. About the first one I'd like to forget very fast, it was quick game which ended in April or May :).
The second one was Genius with FMP 0.9.2, the current one is Superhuman with FMP 0.9.5.

As previously suggested I turned the option "research uses equipment" on and I am stucked now. It is October now and I managed to gather 3 data slates till now. Thanks to some medic and engineer investigations I have flying suits, gauss snipes and psi amps (luckily catched sectoid leader) but still no elerium based technologies (no laser, no plasma, no fusion). I am able to catch any terror ship (no battleships coming), but they come either without leaders or the leaders have no slates. Moreover, there are no alien bases I could assault to find new slates.

Data slates seem to be more serious problem when I analyse my previous game. I didn't sell any and I finished the game with 3 of them - after ca. 18 in-game months of playing.

Despite of these problems I would recommend this mod to every XCOM fan - this is how the game should look like. I still can remember how "refreshing" was playing it for the first time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 09, 2014, 11:37:59 pm »
Tested the mod yesterday more thoroughly and found some glitches and things that seemed odd.:

-Many Ufopedia entries are visible from start that shouldn't be (mostly the alien-alloy related equipment)

That's new. Can you please tell me which ones? It certainly doesn't show for me.

-The Machete does 0 damage according to the Ufopedia.? (maybe you are using a strength-applied approach on it, haven't checked that)

Yeah, exactly. I am planning an overhaul of Ufopaedia articles on melee weapons.

-The Hazmat Armor... well, it seems rather useless, sure it is nice to have full protection from flames, but the armor strength is terrible, making it something to avoid. A small boost would be fine imo.

I pondered this a lot. I think adding some armour wouldn't exactly break the game, but it wouldn't help much, either. The Hazmat was meant only for flamer operators, with a nice added bonus of being quite resistant to acid (which is rather unique), so I guess I'll leave it as it is.

-The Stormtrooper armour inventory screens... They are somewhat .... odd. They look out of place or unproportionakl or something , I can't put my finger on it.

I've stolen it recently from the excellent mod by XOps. Dioxine said something about making a better version, so I'll wait until it happens. :)

The mod contains a good and very complete selection of addons, well done, the small glitches however make it feel a bit unfinished, especially the Ufopedia entries were a bit immersion-breaking for me. Apart form that: This is a keeper!  :)

Well, it is unfinished, hence the 0.x number. ;) Still, this problem with the Ufopaedia is odd and has never been reported before. Info, please?

As previously suggested I turned the option "research uses equipment" on and I am stucked now.

To be honest, I am not sure what the problem is. Slates are useful, but most of your research should come from caught aliens - especially Engineers and the highest ranks.

Having said that, I admit you do get stuck in the game sometimes. It gets better after you research lasers. :)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 10, 2014, 02:05:48 am »
By trial and error I'm beginning to be able to manually edit the ruleset files of the different mods I have on to the type of game that suits me but can't seem to work out how to correct the ufopaedia image of the reinforced shotgun shells from a corpse to what it shud be. I have just updated to final mod pack 0.9.5 today and it's still there, help please!
 One final note if I may ask, I assume the "machete" damage=0 as strength is applied but can't locate it on the purchase screen or manufacture screen. The same is true for "dynamite" but it's there in the ufopaedia.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 10, 2014, 07:06:22 am »
Question, though - is there any way of increasing the ratio of engineers in small craft? There's plenty of navigators, but those are by and large useless.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 10, 2014, 08:26:15 am »
Question, though - is there any way of increasing the ratio of engineers in small craft? There's plenty of navigators, but those are by and large useless.

Yeah, it can be done by modifying the alienDeployments section. But I think it would be pointless; if the game is too hard, I'd rather make Navigators more knowledgeable. But I don't think it's necessary, and it would kinda destroy the entire caste setup...

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:08 am »
Slates are useful, but most of your research should come from caught aliens - especially Engineers and the highest ranks.

Having said that, I admit you do get stuck in the game sometimes. It gets better after you research lasers

But it doesn't. It was the case at the beginning, so I could get a flying suites and gauss weapons, but now I get only information about alien ships (engineers) and species (medics).

IMO the research needs some more polishing and balance. Lasers should compete with gauss, but they depend on elerium. In my last games I developed lasers much later than gauss and used this technology only to produce some tanks (against sectopods and cyberdisks). Wouldn't it be better to make extra dependency for laser and allow to research it before gauss?

Offline ucel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:32 am »
Another issue - I played yesterday a MiB terror mission. MiB came with tanks and doggies. Since my team is psi powered I could control some enemy units and noticed, that doggies have no teeth. I mean they cannot attack anyone (comparing to xcom dogs). Is is a bug? I could also remember a hybrid fort mission with drones (but it was 0.9.2) where drones flew around without giving any shot.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 10, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »
IMO the research needs some more polishing and balance. Lasers should compete with gauss, but they depend on elerium.

Actually, normal lasers don't depend on Elerium, only the better ones do.

In my last games I developed lasers much later than gauss and used this technology only to produce some tanks (against sectopods and cyberdisks). Wouldn't it be better to make extra dependency for laser and allow to research it before gauss?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying lasers should be more available than gauss weapons? Then why add more prerequisites to them?

Anyway, lasers and Gauss guns are balanced against each other. Lasers are weaker, but have better damage type. At least that's how I imagined this, not sure how well it went.

Another issue - I played yesterday a MiB terror mission. MiB came with tanks and doggies. Since my team is psi powered I could control some enemy units and noticed, that doggies have no teeth. I mean they cannot attack anyone (comparing to xcom dogs). Is is a bug?

Dogs are such lovely pets, they won't bite their masters even when psi controlled. :)

Seriously though, I just don't know. I need to have a good look at this...

I could also remember a hybrid fort mission with drones (but it was 0.9.2) where drones flew around without giving any shot.

That's weird, they shoot just fine for me. I'll run some tests later.

Thanks for the reports!