aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580427 times)

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #615 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:57 pm »
Just wonder that others also met these bugs\glitches or just my OXC is so happy and funny:

- Can not research Spitter alive or dead at all
- Spitter corpse\unconscious body is a COMBAT KNIFE!!!
- Salamandron has no ufopaedia entry for living specimen and it's body is a dead Reaper
- Terrors with Waspites are always cause crash or freeze but other missions involve them works normally
- Weapons have higher accuracy than 150% tend to miss if used aimed shots (7 times from 10)
- Some terror maps have areas what can not be accessed normally only if walls of furnitures got destroyed prior

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 28, 2014, 08:20:50 pm »
Definately not experienced this, as i have researched the spitter myself.

Perhaps delete OpenXcom, download it, copy Xcom data files over into OpenXcom folder, download a fresh 0.9.2 FMP version, extract and paste it into OpenXcom, say yes to overwrite all files.

It should work then....?

Offline Jayden Hawke

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2014, 09:07:55 am »
Here's an update with my own repeated mistake removed.

Offline MeatLoaf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
Yes, it's certainly good defence, but it also looks kind of gamey. I was going for a more natural look for the default base. If anybody wants the metagame defence configuration, they're welcome to use the custom layout; exactly like in the vanilla game.
Well, new content means new tactical surprises. :) I'll say, modding success! :D
And nope, there were no changes to the fire mechanics. It's hard-coded.
Must have been a courner fire free then :( The cyberdiscs worry me because that probably means at sectopods and some others will ignore fire tiles too  :'(
You should add alternate ruleset, "casual starting base" :) Although placing the lift not adjacent to any hangar is too hardcore even by my standards :)
Seriously though, you should make a map that looks believeable but it is easier to re-configure than the standard one, as in "not having to blow up 2 hangars". Or NOT use my big quarters on startup and leave things vanilla.
I wish we had bigger bases, offset by needing control rooms, power plants and separate corridoors that don't run through the middle of sensitive science labs and right next to my soldiers beds. But the new LQ and FMP in general is deffinately a modding success :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2014, 04:58:36 pm »

Many thanks, it was extremely useful. Changes will be added to the next release.

Offline Mustang

• Sergeant
  • Megapol Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 31, 2014, 03:31:22 am »
Hey I'm new to using final mod pack and I keep hitting dead ends in research, for instance I have psi-lab and mind shield but no psi amp, and I can't find a way to research gauss and laser weaponry despite meeting the prerequisites I see in the tech tree. Is it just a matter of conducting more interrogations? It's getting tedious fighting mutons with alloy weapons

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #621 on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:38 am »

I start not to understand the whole thing.
I downloaded and installed OXC 2 weeks ago then installed the patch as adviced on the main page. Then installed final mod pack 8 days ago as the attached text file said.

Then I met the above mentioned bugs (+ I met some more => Alien bases and terrors tend to crash if I bring X-com cyberdisc with my squad, X-com sectopods usually can not spot UFOs even if they shot them 2-5 squares away right in front of them - Soldiers need to spot them!- and some aliens in raider groups tend to stay idle)...

Then I applied your ruleset on the "still latest FMP" and the whole OXC crashes right as I launch it. I were need to rewrite with the old rul-file to able to start the game again. I do not a coder but it seems for me that some strings not works as they need to do so (as much as I understood from the rul-files the whole OXC based on strings and tags).

And why do not pick the aliens up their weapons if this option is set as "yes"? I use only the Final Mod Pack and the Rail guns mod for OXC. Possible that incompatibility causes my problems? Or need to install some other mods aswell to get rid my annoying bugs?

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2014, 10:36:56 am »
Hey, Solar, here's an idea.

I see in the Manufacturing background, there's an Autocannon and a Rifle, plus some mags and some ammo. My current thinking is that you make the non-best earth technology for purchase, but have the earth's best technology stuff manufacturable from the start/have some really easy early research, taking only a few hours with 5 scientists. This would make everything slightly more evil as you don't have good rifles from the absolute get-go. Afterall, you are the master of rebalancing everything so much it works in the favour of the aliens.  ;D [/joke]

Eh. Just a thought. Feel free to ignore me :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:31 am »
Hey I'm new to using final mod pack and I keep hitting dead ends in research, for instance I have psi-lab and mind shield but no psi amp, and I can't find a way to research gauss and laser weaponry despite meeting the prerequisites I see in the tech tree. Is it just a matter of conducting more interrogations? It's getting tedious fighting mutons with alloy weapons

Well, if you're saying you have the prerequisites, then you do, but if you can't research it, then it means you probably don't...

Psi-Amp requires:
- Mind Probe
- Psionics

Mind Probe requires:
- Alien Neurosychology
- Alien Optical Processor

Psionics require interrogation of a psionic alien.

Laser rifles require:
- Laser Cannon
- Power Source Miniaturization

Power Source Miniaturization requires:
- UFO Power Source
- Interrogation of an Engineer

Hopefully this helps.

I start not to understand the whole thing.
I downloaded and installed OXC 2 weeks ago then installed the patch as adviced on the main page. Then installed final mod pack 8 days ago as the attached text file said.

Then I met the above mentioned bugs (+ I met some more => Alien bases and terrors tend to crash if I bring X-com cyberdisc with my squad, X-com sectopods usually can not spot UFOs even if they shot them 2-5 squares away right in front of them - Soldiers need to spot them!- and some aliens in raider groups tend to stay idle)...

Then I applied your ruleset on the "still latest FMP" and the whole OXC crashes right as I launch it. I were need to rewrite with the old rul-file to able to start the game again. I do not a coder but it seems for me that some strings not works as they need to do so (as much as I understood from the rul-files the whole OXC based on strings and tags).

Indeed, this is strange. Jayden's fixes will be integrated into the next version of the FMP, so hopefully this won't be a problem any more.

And why do not pick the aliens up their weapons if this option is set as "yes"? I use only the Final Mod Pack and the Rail guns mod for OXC. Possible that incompatibility causes my problems? Or need to install some other mods aswell to get rid my annoying bugs?

Aliens only pick up weapons that were dropped in the alien turn, to prevent the player from luring them into traps with thrown weapons as bait. (Hopefully this mechanic will take a more mature form at some point.)

Having said that, it should be noted that one would have to modify the Aliens_Pick_Up_Weapons.rul file and add all the new stuff there, apart from FinalModPack.rul itself.

Hey, Solar, here's an idea.

I see in the Manufacturing background, there's an Autocannon and a Rifle, plus some mags and some ammo. My current thinking is that you make the non-best earth technology for purchase, but have the earth's best technology stuff manufacturable from the start/have some really easy early research, taking only a few hours with 5 scientists. This would make everything slightly more evil as you don't have good rifles from the absolute get-go. Afterall, you are the master of rebalancing everything so much it works in the favour of the aliens.  ;D [/joke]

Eh. Just a thought. Feel free to ignore me :P

You're evil. You might have modding potential... :D

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 01, 2014, 02:46:31 am »
Is it intentional that the Toxigun and the Toxigun Flask require two completely unrelated prerequisites to unlock? If it is intentional, might you consider changing it? The gun itself can get researched really early on, but I can never get the ammo until like June. Especially considering that it's a completely worthless weapon compared to just about everything other than the starting equipment, it's a bit silly that you need to capture enough Leaders to unlock Alien Gardens before you understand how a jar of acid works.

Oh, and an unrelated question. Would it be possible to put the enemy stats into the UFOPedia (kind of like in the Pirates mod) after you research the specimen? I've played through a few times, and I'm still not really sure what weapons are good against some of the new aliens.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:01:54 am by Avalanche »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:54 am »
Is it intentional that the Toxigun and the Toxigun Flask require two completely unrelated prerequisites to unlock? If it is intentional, might you consider changing it? The gun itself can get researched really early on, but I can never get the ammo until like June. Especially considering that it's a completely worthless weapon compared to just about everything other than the starting equipment, it's a bit silly that you need to capture enough Leaders to unlock Alien Gardens before you understand how a jar of acid works.

Hmm, the first intention was to get this tech from the alien garden-like structure, so theoretically it could be gained in very early game, if you manage to assault an Alien Base. It couldn't be done, so I did what I did... But you're right, I'll allow research from the clip alone, but manufacturing will still require Alien Gardens.

Oh, and an unrelated question. Would it be possible to put the enemy stats into the UFOPedia (kind of like in the Pirates mod) after you research the specimen? I've played through a few times, and I'm still not really sure what weapons are good against some of the new aliens.

I'll see what can be done. It's a good idea.

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #626 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:45 am »
Maybe I will be a bit off-topic now but I did not want to create a new topic for this as it is much like a humble idea...
When I was younger (about 8 ) and played X-com at the first time I loved the blue cloak floater showed in the ufopedia. It made me mod the original floater sprites to that. And now in OXC I met a muton commander. The red one from intro! Awesomely badass and ultra cool! And it gave me the idea to have separate sprites for alien officers, or mostly for commanders.

This is the blue floater I saved with PCKview and could be the floater commander sprite.
The question is: If I make the sprites for the alien commanders (+ inventory portrait) could it be implemented in FMP? And I also need the help to code them as I have no clue where and how to do that.

And I started another thing what needs no coding. I saw that many entry illustrations are from TFTD and looks odd in ufopedia. I want to change these entry pictures and if must draw new ones (Chtonite, reptiloid and so on) to fit more among the other entries. Here is two example what I mean:

What do you think? If I can have the coding help I will open a separate topic for this, promise, but I need some opinions first if it worth that 3-6 hours what need to rework the battlescape sprites + 1 hour for the inventory sprites...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #627 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:15 am »
1. I have the blue-cloaked floater spritesheet ready to implement at Solar's whim, so no need to burden yourself with that one. The other leaders/commanders are a fair game afaik... as long as Solar wants them, that is, so it's better to wait what he says (it'd certainly make the game a bit easier :) ).

2. Your Pedia graphics weren't done properly. Never paste over; prepare a RGB picture, THEN change the palette while converting to indexed color. If you can't get it to look good, just send the RGB png you've prepared and we'll make it look good in the Pedia :)

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #628 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:01 am »
1. I have the blue-cloaked floater spritesheet ready to implement at Solar's whim, so no need to burden yourself with that one. The other leaders/commanders are a fair game afaik... as long as Solar wants them, that is, so it's better to wait what he says (it'd certainly make the game a bit easier :) ).
OK. I wait. But the blue floater was not a burden I used it in vanilla X-com since ages (although sometimes vanilla X-com shows transparency glitches but not always).
2. Your Pedia graphics weren't done properly. Never paste over; prepare a RGB picture, THEN change the palette while converting to indexed color. If you can't get it to look good, just send the RGB png you've prepared and we'll make it look good in the Pedia :)
These were just test run to show what I meant. I put them into OXC for myself and they works well but I shall follow your advice and send you the PNGs if I shall make them. Now sketching the Tunlun and the Chtonite to looks like they described instead of TFTD-copy-pastes. Hope I shall find a good solution and a good picture.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 01, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »
While distinct leaders would indeed make the game easier, I've heard way too much about how hard it is, so I think it wouldn't be bad!

Yeah, I'll gladly add a Floater Leader/Commander, and possibly the same for some other races if they're ever made.