Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580591 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #600 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »
Item weight 3 is a soft limit introduced by sane microprose people to prevent crazy throwing ranges (wt 2 flies 50% further than 3, and 1 - 3x further), and also to streamline equipment for ease of playing (1 tile = 3 wt being a rule of thumb, so the weight corresponds to perceived size of an object).

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 27, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »
Dioxine - Item weight 3 is a soft limit introduced by sane microprose people to prevent crazy throwing ranges.
Easy, if weight is less than 3 (including 0) treat it as if its 3.

Solarius - Correct. That's why, in my opinion, the armour's weight does not correspond directly to its mass, but is rather a function of how much it slows you down due to its mass.

In Dungeons & Dragons this is why they not only had armor weights for suits of armor, they also had them arranged in tiers of proficiency too. Not only did you have to be strong, you also had to be proficient with armor otherwise it did bad things to you.

Personal Armor is made out of rigid metal plates but its not done sloppy. Its similar to the D&D equivalent of any kind of Medium Armor made out of Mithril.

Oh gahd am I really making dungeons & dragons references here?
Nope, im just agreeing with you.

And here, my friend, our opinions differ.
I got the impression they were Spec Ops but because of Gameplay Balance they had to nerfed. Also how are you going to have Veterancy when they're already at peak of performance.

Maybe they were recruited from desk jobs after they've been pushing pencils too long and have generally lost their touch.

But go talk to Jesse Ventura and im pretty sure he will say that you dont lose much of that edge, no matter how long you've been complacent. Many dont know that Jesse Ventura, while also being an actor and one of the guys responsible for the "Big Man with a Minigun" trope, he was also bona fide Spec Ops before that. Every Marine ive talked to has said you really don't lose that touch, even if out of the service you've developed a beer gut.

I mean soldiers could be amped up to start with, but to equal their greater capabilities the aliens would have to get jacked out too with lightning fast reactions and an enormous number of TU.

I like the idea of game balance where "everybody is broken" but that often turns out to be a trainwreck too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:39:30 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 28, 2014, 04:31:02 am »
I was always under the impression that XCOM was filled with special forces too. I mean, they're a top secret global government conspiracy and humanity's best hope at stopping the alien threat, so why would it be filled with random people they picked up off the street (as their stats suggest?). I think it'd make a bit more sense balance-wise if your recruits all had improved stats, but the earlier aliens were all made tougher to compensate. Really, until the Mutons arrive, there's no real reason why the regular military or even local police shouldn't be able to handle the aliens.

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 28, 2014, 05:02:22 am »
Solar, have you considered taking some of the things from Final Mod Pack that are not apart of other mods (i.e Stormlance Missile, Hybrid Race and the Laser Shotgun) and putting them up separately for other's enjoyment? I personally would like to see some of these other parts of FMP separate that I cannot find myself/make myself for convenience. Of course I could just delve into the code and CTRL+C and CTRL+V, but look how that turned out last time with the Xcom Cyberdiscs and Tanks, Drones, Sectopods? Oh My! (For reference, I couldn't get the cyberdiscs to work due to Solar's FMP magic.)

Also, with the new update...

YOU BROKE THE BASE RULE! I saw the new base layout and I just asked myself...why? You have the Access lift between three buildings to the Hangar, meaning all attempts to create a chokepoint are foiled. I tried out the newest FMP and I had an early Base Assault (18 days into the game) and I was ANNIHILATED. Lost the game and everything. And you can't fix it since the Access Lift is right in the middle, making it like the old base. It is indeed much harder, but also causes confusion to newer players who are used to their access lifts being right beside the hangars (such as myself, I use XcomUtil's Defensive Base [not the improved version because that's just cheating])

Offline Jayden Hawke

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 28, 2014, 05:05:55 am »
I did some editing of the english translation of the UFOPedia for grammar, spelling and clarity. Tried not to be too heavy handed. Here it is if anyone's interested.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #605 on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:02 am »
Solar, have you considered taking some of the things from Final Mod Pack that are not apart of other mods (i.e Stormlance Missile, Hybrid Race and the Laser Shotgun) and putting them up separately for other's enjoyment? I personally would like to see some of these other parts of FMP separate that I cannot find myself/make myself for convenience.

I did it with some things, but admittedly not all... I think the Stormlance is kind of irrelevant in a normal game, the hybrid race is simply unfinished (I need to do more missions and maps), and the Laser Shotgun... well I just haven't found the time yet. But it's planned.

Of Also, with the new update...

YOU BROKE THE BASE RULE! I saw the new base layout and I just asked myself...why? You have the Access lift between three buildings to the Hangar, meaning all attempts to create a chokepoint are foiled. I tried out the newest FMP and I had an early Base Assault (18 days into the game) and I was ANNIHILATED. Lost the game and everything. And you can't fix it since the Access Lift is right in the middle, making it like the old base. It is indeed much harder, but also causes confusion to newer players who are used to their access lifts being right beside the hangars (such as myself, I use XcomUtil's Defensive Base [not the improved version because that's just cheating])

While I don't honestly think it's any worse than your normal starting base, I admit it's sort of beta. Maybe you could suggest a better arrangement? A simple drawing would suffice.

I did some editing of the english translation of the UFOPedia for grammar, spelling and clarity. Tried not to be too heavy handed. Here it is if anyone's interested.

Ooooh! Awesome! I'll look at it ASAP, probably over the weekend.

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 28, 2014, 09:23:32 am »
I did it with some things, but admittedly not all... I think the Stormlance is kind of irrelevant in a normal game, the hybrid race is simply unfinished (I need to do more missions and maps), and the Laser Shotgun... well I just haven't found the time yet. But it's planned.
I - and others if they wish to help - could probably dissect FMP's code to make most things that aren't already in mods into new mods. Maybe even make an entire thread for dissected FMP mods that haven't already existed beforehand. I think it would be an interesting concept. I think most, if not all, of the things in Final Mod Pack would contribute to a normal game.

While I don't honestly think it's any worse than your normal starting base, I admit it's sort of beta. Maybe you could suggest a better arrangement? A simple drawing would suffice.
One not-so elaborate diagram coming up soon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:48:03 am by XCOMFan419 »

Offline MeatLoaf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
Also, with the new update...
I saw the new base layout and I just asked myself...why?

And that is why I always build my own base. I have a couple of suggestions but I need to wait for a base assault to see the fire lines of the LQ.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »
And that is why I always build my own base. I have a couple of suggestions but I need to wait for a base assault to see the fire lines of the LQ.

I like!

Meanwhile,

@XcomFan, if you dont like FMP starting thing, just enable custom start layout option?

@Solar, the IronFist ended up on the edge of map again on another mission.... my poor tanks!

Offline MeatLoaf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 28, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »
Hahahahaha just had a real nasty fight, tried to treat it like defending a single corridoor instead of 2 distinct ones. I will never use the large facility in a small base again :). Also did you guys change the rules about fire? I saw 4 sectoids walk through it and 2 cyberdiscs park in it  ???
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:19:49 pm by MeatLoaf »

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:25 pm »
What about this as a way to defend your base? Living quarters is put far away as possible so more soldiers can spawn there, much easier to station your troops.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 28, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
I have a couple of suggestions but I need to wait for a base assault to see the fire lines of the LQ.

Yes, it's certainly good defence, but it also looks kind of gamey. I was going for a more natural look for the default base. If anybody wants the metagame defence configuration, they're welcome to use the custom layout; exactly like in the vanilla game.

@Solar, the IronFist ended up on the edge of map again on another mission.... my poor tanks!

Ouch. I really should take care of this... When I have the time. Over the weekend, hopefully.

Hahahahaha just had a real nasty fight, tried to treat it like defending a single corridoor instead of 2 distinct ones. I will never use the large facility in a small base again :). Also did you guys change the rules about fire? I saw 4 sectoids walk through it and 2 cyberdiscs park in it  ???

Well, new content means new tactical surprises. :) I'll say, modding success! :D
And nope, there were no changes to the fire mechanics. It's hard-coded.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
@Solar, could you direct me to the tools etc to construct/edit a craft?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 28, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »
@Solar, could you direct me to the tools etc to construct/edit a craft?

All I used was MapView, to make the map itself. And of course a graphics editor for the base/Ufopedia graphics, and a text editor for the ruleset. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #614 on: August 28, 2014, 07:39:54 pm »
You should add alternate ruleset, "casual starting base" :) Although placing the lift not adjacent to any hangar is too hardcore even by my standards :)

Seriously though, you should make a map that looks believeable but it is easier to re-configure than the standard one, as in "not having to blow up 2 hangars". Or NOT use my big quarters on startup and leave things vanilla.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:45:32 pm by Dioxine »