aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1602207 times)

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
Yeah, I thought that this can be MiB related, since it starts near the half of the year, when MiBs begin to show up. By that time I had 1 or 2 bases, so I covered two continents at most. Not much, but still I think you shouldn't get so low score for events that are beyond your reach - especially when you combine it with harder overall gameplay (modified tech tree).

edit: Oh, ok. That explains a lot. So there's currently no other way than to build as many bases as possible to cover most of the Earth or have your ships patrol the skies all of the time, and then rush to destroy MiBs as soon as you spot one. Quite challenging. ;) Shame that MiB bases cannot be added as normal alien bases, but well... I'll try how it works on the new version of the mod. When we can expect one?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:55:48 pm by Daedalus »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:57 am »
For this problem a mod of awacs may be interesting

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:27 pm »
Well, one thing I did was to halve MiB mission weights. Not a solution but surely helps, and I don't have to fight so many waves of MiB instead of aliens.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:19 pm »
There's also another instrument of control, so basic that I forgot about it: the graphs. Frankly, I have never used them at all, except for an occasional curiosity, but with MiBs they should be a great help. If you notice a spike in UFO activity somewhere, it's easy to send a craft there to see if there's perhaps a MiB base.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:17 am »
It's now much easier to fight the MiB if you know how to. I made a radar base (just access lift + large radar system) on each continent, covering like 95% of the Earth's lands. Works well... at least for now.

What bothers me is that those little buggers tend to build their bases just outside of your radar coverage. Most of the bases I have destroyed so far were placed out of my radar range and some of them I found only by accident (following a UFO or going for other MiB base).

What's even more bothering, they can somehow build their bases on the water (or on one-pixel, non-visible islands), so if you won't spot and follow the initial UFO, which then spawns the base, then you're pretty much f***ed, since you got like 1% chance of finding the base later on somewhere in the middle of an ocean.

Base was somewhere between those two jets:

BTW, during this playthrough I haven't spotted those new aliens added by the mod (got plenty of them previously, though). It's more than half a year now and I didn't see even a single one... I just hope it's a bad luck, not some issue with the latest nightlies.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:23 pm »
Hmm... That is very weird behaviour on the MiB. I haven't noticed them trolling me that much by avoiding the radars, and I certainly haven't seen them building bases at sea. You could be just unlucky, or there's some technical issue.

As for the new races, they're certainly there, but random dice gods are random. I've never gotten Gazers myself, though Reptoids and Cerebreals are frequent and Chtonites show up occasionally. Each game is different like that.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2014, 07:18:46 pm »
Indeed, randomness is random when it comes to alien races. Just playing with Robin's two new aliens, I got 1 waspite ship in the first 9 months or so and then I suddenly got a wave of about 4 of them.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »
About the MiB bases on water, well, I saw a similar thing happen to me. Some distance off the west coast of Africa, near Nigeria.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
If we could find out how to replicate and intentionally cause those UFO-on-water situations, that would be really cool. Imagine Oil-Drilling-Platform terror missions... or cruise ship missions for xcom1... :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:04 pm »
my guess would be a screwed up ufoTrajectories definition
e.g. taking the ufoTrajectories of a "fly over mission" to define a base/landing mission
but since i never worked with this stuff its just a guess

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2014, 11:07:06 pm »
Small bug report...

In 0.5.5b version I found this under the "ufopaedia" between MiB laser pistol clip and laser rifle clip:
  - id: STR_LASER_
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_LASER__UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 3825
    requires:
      - STR_LASER_RIFLE

I believe it should look like this, right?

- id: STR_LASER_RIFLE_MIB
    text: STR_LASER_RIFLE_MIB_UFOPEDIA
    requires:
      - STR_LASER_RIFLE

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2014, 04:34:38 pm »
Thanks for the bug report. I was notified before about it (and it was fixed), but there's never too much attention.

I'll release the new version really soon, it'll contain more laser goodness (I mean, more sensibility) and of course fixes. I'm not touching the trajectories for now though; I think Robin should be notified first (and it would be great if you guys post it, since I haven't really seen it with my own eyes).

EDIT:
There's a new version in town: 0.5.6. It's slowly taking shape of a more-or-less mature product, at least in the weapons department (this time, mostly lasers). I have also updated the Men in Black stuff by Robin, fixed Labship and Sentry Ship maps.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »
Thanks for the updated. Quick (very small) bug report:

- id: STR_LASER_RIFLE_MIB
    text: STR_LASER_RIFLE_UFOPEDIA
    requires:
      - STR_LASER_RIFLE

Should be:
text: STR_LASER_RIFLE_MIB_UFOPEDIA

There's also a leftover string in FR translation:
STR_MIB_AGENT: Agent MiB

But I don't think it matters... My compare tool just pointed it out, so I'm reporting. ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »
Thanks for the report, I made a fixed version 0.5.6b - it's available for download.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:46 am »
i have a middle play, in tfe 5 month, i load the game no problem, but in the inventori screen i see de gauss weapons, i dont research them i dont see in the ufopedia, but is ready to play, may be a bug????