aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1581280 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »
I would like to assure everyone that I'm not so biased against psi armours that I wouldn't consider it. I value all your input, and also I wouldn't say that you want more powerful X-Com psionics - I was referring to the general populace, not you gentlemen. Frankly, I don't know what to so with this yet, but naturally I'll keep thinking.

One could say that working on new armour types to mitigate incoming damage is pointless because you can always lower enemy damage instead.

True, but OpenXCom is a tactical game, with shoot-outs being its core idea, and being a complex system. The psi system is pretty crude, there's not much you can do with it, because there are so few elements in it. That's why making it more fun by adding more stuff is extra hard. (That's why I'm playing with line of sight only psi myself, because it makes the game more interesting IMHO, but that's my private opinion and shouldn't have any impact on the FMP.)

I was wondering if there was a mod with a tracked plasma tank, instead of a hover plasma tank. It's just something I was thinking of a while back. Are there any in this mod, or any place where I can find one? I take it this mod pack would have something of the sort.

Welcome to the forums! And yes, there's a track plasma tank inside. :D

Offline HWPgojira45

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2014, 11:13:17 pm »
Tried the mod pack out for the first time last night, I was loving it. It was not buggy as I thought it would be and everything was going smoothly. Still trying to figure out how to get laser weapons though  :P

But that was until I got to my first Terror Mission.

I noticed everything was slower. My squad, the aliens, the civilians, even the bullets. I wondered what was going on, but my first thought was that my settings were a little messed. After a thorough investigation, this was not the case. Instead, the height of the map was three units taller than it should be. That means that there were three unused floors below the map, and there were the other four height units that applied to the map. This made the map 7 units high in total.

On my next mission, and the mission beforehand, I did not encounter this.

I had only the FMP on at the time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, glad it's mostly okay. :)

Yes, the terror missions are indeed 10 tiles tall. It is so to allow for Luke83's city terrain, which has underground segments and some tall buildings, and therefore is 10 layers tall instead of 4. Only some city missions use this terrain, but the height setting is for all instances of a given mission, so I had to either make all terrors 10 high or exclude Luke's mod, and I really wanted it in.

I don't think much can be done here. But if this is really problematic, you can open the ruleset and search for this fragment (currently row 3642):

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_TERROR_MISSION
    width: 50
    length: 50
    height: 10
    civilians: 18

And change height from 10 to 4.

However, if you do get Luke's terrain (which happens about 1 per 6 cases), you'll probably get a crash, because it won't fit in the game space.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but compromises must be made.

Oh, and there's an update coming tonight or tomorrow. there'll be some new stuff, but mostly rebalancing and tech tree tweaking. For example, lasers will be more available, because I really made them a little too hard to reach. :)

EDIT:
Version 0.5.5 is online. I'm not really sure about this release, since some YAML validators choke on the ruleset (while others say it's okay), but I can just as well look for any errors when it's already distributed. Just be careful, there may be dragons.
As always, get it here: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/final-mod-pack

This release contains the following changes:
  • Added Expanded Ubase mod.
  • Added Hazmat Armour mod.
  • Added X-Com Cyberdisc (green sprite provided by Civilian).
  • Changed Men in Black lasers to clip versions.
  • Moved sprites to sprite sheets in order to save disk space and make loading faster.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:43:14 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2014, 11:56:53 pm »
Lasers difficult?? With all the new wepons i dont need lasers XD

Offline HWPgojira45

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2014, 01:41:29 am »
MiB laser weapon's clips are named "STR_LASER_[WEAPON]_MIB_CLIP," just so you know. It's only for the weapon's clips. It's the only issue I see with the weapons when I entered the new battle menu.

No other issues found on the Battlescape side of the game.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:03 am »
MiB laser weapon's clips are named "STR_LASER_[WEAPON]_MIB_CLIP," just so you know. It's only for the weapon's clips. It's the only issue I see with the weapons when I entered the new battle menu.

No other issues found on the Battlescape side of the game.

Oh, I forgot to make strings for them. Thanks for the info.

It'll be fixed tomorrow, along a general update for the Men in Black (because Robin has just released a new version).

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:35 am »
A ieda for make. When finish a mission see the update of stats on the soldiers. This is interesting for the strategic of the group

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2014, 05:05:54 am »
A ieda for make. When finish a mission see the update of stats on the soldiers. This is interesting for the strategic of the group

Do you mean as in a list of kills for the soldiers like a status report or a chart of how much stats the soldiers gained from the mission?

The first one of those is available here through shoes' Soldier Diaries, which is not sadly not compatible with this mod because it's an EXE: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1718.0

The second is being worked on by Roujin and has been requested before, but it's still in the experimental phase and may not be stable/compatible with this mod. You can check out Roujin's progress here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2461.0

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2014, 05:16:33 am »
When you say 'not compatible', do you mean they cant be run together at all or just that it cant be included in the compilation and needs installing separately? I've been watching the diary mod progress and it looks fantastic. I always found myself wanting for something like that in vanilla xcom.....too hard to remember who did what otherwise.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:04 am »
When these mods are complete, I'd be very happy to use them. For now, we wait. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »
In the 0.5.5b (in case of any future release will be generated), a small mistake :
-> Replace STR_RMOR with STR_JUMP_ARMOR (Line 16962)

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »
When you say 'not compatible', do you mean they cant be run together at all or just that it cant be included in the compilation and needs installing separately? I've been watching the diary mod progress and it looks fantastic. I always found myself wanting for something like that in vanilla xcom.....too hard to remember who did what otherwise.

I might should have phrased that a bit better.

I really like the Soldier Diaries mod (I'm using it right now) and it is flexible and will run with most mods, probably this one as well. The problems are 1) It will need to be installed separately because it's an EXE whereas this mod isn't 2) Shoes is still ironing out the bugs in the Soldier Diaries 3) Because it's an EXE, Shoes has to merge the mod with nightlies, whereas this modpack works with any nightly release unless something in the build breaks it.

So basically, you can install the Soldier Diaries mod with this one and see how well it works, but that mod can't be merged with this one at the moment, and you'll have to wait on Shoes to fix bugs and merge with nightlies. Probably nothing will go terribly wrong, but there could be some minor issues.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2014, 11:02:40 pm »
In the 0.5.5b (in case of any future release will be generated), a small mistake :
-> Replace STR_RMOR with STR_JUMP_ARMOR (Line 16962)

Ah thanks, I'll fix it now. Stupid EditPad.

I really like the Soldier Diaries mod (I'm using it right now) and it is flexible and will run with most mods, probably this one as well. The problems are (...)

Yep, exactly this. I simply don't want to add a mod that has technical issues, and especially one that affects nightly updates (which I'm using myself). But it can run along the FMP and I don't expect any conflicts, so at this point it's up to the user if they want to use it or not.

Offline Daedalus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2014, 10:56:36 am »
Really nice mod. I love how it adds all the new stuff making the game much more diverse and interesting, while at the same time it makes it much harder and longer.

Although, I believe there's a nasty bug somewhere here...

At first I was playing Veteran Ironman with only Final Mod enabled (+some options), afters few months of doing OK I finally got my butt kicked by some aliens and lost all my men and ship in terror mission. Nothing from what I couldn't recover. I've started to rebuild my strength, but at the end of the month instead of losing some income I got information that X-Com is no more and aliens won. Well, "I suck" I said to myself and started again...

Second try with the same settings. Doing fine, few months passed, MiB starting to show up. Had some trouble with them and with aliens, lost some men, but it wasn't a disaster. Waited for new month to get some cash and upgrade the base, but suddenly I got like -4500 score out of nowhere. Next month had some ups and downs, but it wasn't that bad, still it ended in X-Com being disbanded and alien win.

Third try, same settings. Doing really well. Few months (3-5, can't remember) passed. Kicking alien asses hard. Nice month for me - won terror mission with only one soldier dead, shot down couple of smaller UFO, all crash-site missions won with no casualties. Ignored one very large UFO, but didn't have a power to even scratch it for now. Expected like 700-1000 score at the end of the month, but I got like -4300. "Where the hell did that came from?!" asked myself. Well, next month I tried even harder - everything went great, but at the end of the month I still somehow got terrible score and game ended.

I thought that game was bugged, but when I tried it without the mod, it's almost a year now and I'm constantly getting around +1000 to +2000 score each month, so it must be something with the mod.

For Final Mod I was using latest nightly at that time, which was "2014-07-09 18:15" build I believe. For clean OpenXCom I used current nightly. I'll try how the mod works on latest nightly when new version (with updated MiB) will be available. Hopefully that game-breaking bug will be gone by itself by that time.

Best regards.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2014, 11:01:56 am »
Hey Daedalus,

Judging from your description, I have a theory that it's the MiB who are lurking somewhere beyond your radar scope. How good is your radar coverage?

I don't know this mod that well, but I'll investigate.

EDIT:

It looks like it is indeed caused by a landed Men in Black "base". Here's an excerpt from the Ufopedia on alien scoring, hopefully accurate:

Each UFO that flies over the Earth (per 30 mins): 1
Each UFO that lands (per 30 mins): 2

So if you have a MiB base somewhere, which counts as a landed UFO, you're losing 2880 points in 30 days - easily crippling your war effort.

The solution? Expand your radar coverage to ensure there are no MiB bases operating for any extended period of time. If this is infeasible, well, I'll have to think of changing the mod, or at least notifying Robin about the issue... More feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:36:02 am by Solarius Scorch »