aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580988 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »
i got the crash if i put the medipack in my hand and turn (walking straight ahead works fine - so i can heal others if they are standing norteast of my doctor - perhaps its a feng shui thing :) )

Now I think it's because the Medipack handob has only 1 gif file. Should I define its dimensions somehow? Falko, you please help... ;)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »
from original rul file:
Code: [Select]
extraSprites:
  - type: BIGOBS.PCK
    files:
      102000: Resources/Medipack/BigMedipack.gif
  - type: FLOOROB.PCK
    files:
      102001: Resources/Medipack/FloorMedipack.gif
  - type: HANDOB.PCK
    files:
      102002: Resources/Medipack/MedipackH.gif
    width: 256
    height: 40
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
yes they need the width/sub stuff but the id are too high in original mod

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
OK, I fixed that pesky problem with the Medipack. The latest version is currently being uploaded to the mod site.

Warning: Because of the latest change in the night builds from CYDONIA_DEP to COMMANDER_PLUS, I had to change the ruleset accordingly. Make sure you have version openxcom_git_master_2014_07_03_0820 or later installed, or you may be unable to finish the game! Get it from https://openxcom.org/git-builds/.

EDIT: Immediately after that I made 0.5.2, which adds one very useful item. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:32:21 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2014, 10:32:34 pm »
Here's another little problem I've run into:
  - type: STR_PISTOL_AA_CLIP
    size: 0.1
    costSell: 104
    weight: 3
    bigSprite: 84
    floorSprite: 4
    hitSound: 22
    hitAnimation: 26
    power: 33
    damageType: 1
    clipSize: 18
    battleType: 2
    armor: 12
    attraction: 1
    listOrder: 2205

listOrder: 2205 groups this ammo with the rifle ammo, which looks odd. Changing it to 2005 works fine.

Oh, and would it be possible to maintain a modpack for the milestone version too? I'm not exactly eager to install nightlies...

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »
I'm a bit skeptical about this whole "final mod pack" idea. The name suggests YOUR vision of good balance and good mods are the only true. I always dislike such arrogance...
Maybe you should rename it to "Solar's mod compilation" or something like that. I plan to make my own mod compilation in future (when I get down to playing the game again), but with only a portion of mods included and rebalanced (to improve variety to a certain extent, for example - exclude mods that add overpowered items in the game that, when balanced, make no sense anymore; also, I don't like having 10 weapons of exactly same stats with different icons).
Hey mate, who is the more arrogant :
- the one who is one of the biggest contributors on this forum (more than 1200 posts whose 50%+ are plenty of sense) and try to make a compilation for others to play with
- or the other one who comes from nowhere and decides this initiative was just arrogance
I think you should better not have used such a word  ;)

Considering this was just an error from your side, about your opinion, your are not wrong : this "Final Mod Pack" is not the only way to make a compilation, you are working on your own, as I do and some others

I think a better way would have been to just make your suggestion of renaming, using your arguments that are not so bad but without the roughness of you first post, and perhaps would you have had a chance to convince his owner(s)

or use the modtester :) :

Hi Falko
You seem to have made a great job here

I tried this (15-20 min) but I found there was to many displayed errors

Do you think you could add some "button" to select/unselect all options, in order to be able to check error types one by one ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:49:12 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2014, 10:57:30 pm »
Do you think you could add some "button" to select/unselect all options, in order to be able to check error types one by one ?
there is if you click on "show errorselection"
Edit: sorry misread - will think about it
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:19:27 pm by Falko »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2014, 10:59:24 pm »
listOrder: 2205 groups this ammo with the rifle ammo, which looks odd. Changing it to 2005 works fine.

Yes, thank you. I fixed this typo.
ListOrders are in a bit of a beta state now, some are missing etc., so there will be more mistakes like this. The mod is fully functional, but still unpolished. :)

Oh, and would it be possible to maintain a modpack for the milestone version too? I'm not exactly eager to install nightlies...

I would love to, but sadly I would have to clone myself for this, since the changes are complex and numerous and would have to actually be done twice. Plus, the features that require the nightly builds really allow for a nicer game (primarily, better access to alien knowledge, which is essential here).

Nevertheless, I do not expect you to update the game every day, only when something critical is changed. This happened today and is unlikely to happen again soon... Unless it does, since our devs are on the roll. :)

I'm a bit skeptical about this whole "final mod pack" idea. The name suggests YOUR vision of good balance and good mods are the only true. I always dislike such arrogance...

Maybe you should rename it to "Solar's mod compilation" or something like that.

Sorry about not addressing this earlier, I somehow missed your post, honestly. And I should address this properly.

The truth is, I agree that it sounds arrogant. The story is, it was started by Human Ktulu under the name "French Mod Pack", and then it evolved into this compilation, so he renamed it "Final Mod Pack" to preserve the acronym. Yeah, I don't really like it either, but that's the trademark and we can't do much about it - or at least I can't, because it's simply not just my work. (And for this reason it can't be "Solar's Mod Pack" either, even though I made 95% of it.)

Aldorn, thanks for defending me, but I have to admit Phobos is right... Still, it's just a name, so let's roll with it for now.

I plan to make my own mod compilation in future (when I get down to playing the game again), but with only a portion of mods included and rebalanced (to improve variety to a certain extent, for example - exclude mods that add overpowered items in the game that, when balanced, make no sense anymore; also, I don't like having 10 weapons of exactly same stats with different icons).

Then I wish you success, since my own priorities are exactly the same! I agree that the OpenXCom community is plagued with overpowered items, so I took great care to rebalance all of them and make sure they are different from each other and not relevant to tactics. Otherwise there would be way more weapons. :)

Finally, there's a new version 0.5.3 that fixes and adds some minor stuff - enjoy. :)

Offline Gordonmull

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2014, 03:11:41 am »
Hello, my first post here. A long time XCom fan since the 90s and who's week was made by the discovery of OpenXCom 1.0 AND a mega mod. I cant thank those who have done this enough. The no more 80 item limit has had me partying for days! And now the megamod!

I do have a suggestion though, I've just played an MiB mission and it took severe suspension of belief that MiBs could have possession of a UFO. It might be better to have the MiBs "meeting" the aliens and XCom rumbles the party in a mixed crew type mission, much more believable than MiBs flying around in small scouts.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2014, 01:20:01 pm »
Hello, my first post here. A long time XCom fan since the 90s and who's week was made by the discovery of OpenXCom 1.0 AND a mega mod. I cant thank those who have done this enough. The no more 80 item limit has had me partying for days! And now the megamod!

I do have a suggestion though, I've just played an MiB mission and it took severe suspension of belief that MiBs could have possession of a UFO. It might be better to have the MiBs "meeting" the aliens and XCom rumbles the party in a mixed crew type mission, much more believable than MiBs flying around in small scouts.

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the MiB mod, it's true that the engine limitations forced certain simplifications. Nevertheless, I decided to include this work, as it adds a lot of fun to the game and seemed worth it to me.

Any suggestions regarding MiB can be posted on https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2180.0 which is the MiB's thread.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2014, 01:20:13 am »
Found another typo, this one caused a program crash when I tried to browse the ufopaedia:

- type: STR_TANK_GAUSS
    size: 6
    costSell: 594000
    transferTime: 96
    weight: 1
    bigSprite: 92
    floorSprite: 0
    handSprite: 0
    bulletSprite: 8
    fireSound: 65
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_HWP_GAUSS_AMMOAMMO

Anyone knows whether this should be added into the bugtracker?

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2014, 01:35:40 am »
I'd say add it to the bugtracker: even bad configuration should not be able to crash the game

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2014, 01:45:55 am »
i prefer crashes (with a bit more information than now)
without crashes the modder do not fix errors and the errors add up in the mod

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2014, 04:15:52 am »
I'd say add it to the bugtracker: even bad configuration should not be able to crash the game
Any bad configuration will crash the game.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:51 pm »
Sorry about the typo, I'll release a new version soon.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Sorry about the typo, I'll release a new version soon.
No problem, I've fixed my copy myself, I'm only posting it here so you can fix it in the next release.

Come to think of it... Your mod is primarily a compilation, so is anybody fixing the original mods if they contain an error too?