Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580463 times)

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #3210 on: January 09, 2021, 06:07:40 pm »
I thought I would point out a relatively minor problem I'm having with the game now.  It seems I can produce all of the medipacks I want, but they won't show up in any inventory.  I can't load them on to a plane, nor can I sell them.

When I look at what the engineers are producing, it will say 5 of 10 produced, but those 5 won't show up anywhere.  I've tried producing them at other bases as well and then won't show up there either.

This is the only item I've run into with this problem.  I can produce all the healing sprays I want, and they work fine, it's just the medipacks I can't see to use or sell.

I thought I would point this out in case wants to know.  It's not a big enough issue, so don't worry about it too much.

Ted

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 09, 2021, 06:42:07 pm »
One other quick question.   About the only reason I care about the medipacks is that 1/3 of my soldiers are wounded, and many for extended periods of time.

I was looking through the forums and can see references to infirmaries, but not in FMP.  I have also seen references in the forums to OXCE vs OXC, and which mod was on which, (sorry, I don't know all the details of this mod, or modding in general).

Can I add an infirmary type mod to my game?  Is there one compatible with FMP?

I love the FMP, but right now I'm sending in tons of rookies because all my A-Team are down for 30-60 days with wounds.  My commander is out for 75 days, and that one hurts.  2.5 months in this game is an eternity.

Thanks for all of your work with this game.  I've loved Xcom since it first game out, (still got the original box in my basement somewhere).  It's great being able to still play this game, and even better having it continue to evolve and get even more challenging.

Ted

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3212 on: January 09, 2021, 07:08:46 pm »
I can't see anything wrong with Medikits, and in fact I don't think they're any different form vanilla. But if anyone can confirm an issue with this, I'm all ears.

Med Bays are possible, but only in OXCE, whereas the FMP was made strictly for OXC (it will run on OXCE with no problems, but I want to keep it 100% compatible with people who use vanilla OXC, so no special OXCE features are used). If you want a more OXCE-like game, I recommend playing FMP's successor, The X-Com Files.

Offline Ted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 09, 2021, 09:39:07 pm »
I can't see anything wrong with Medikits, and in fact I don't think they're any different form vanilla. But if anyone can confirm an issue with this, I'm all ears.

Med Bays are possible, but only in OXCE, whereas the FMP was made strictly for OXC (it will run on OXCE with no problems, but I want to keep it 100% compatible with people who use vanilla OXC, so no special OXCE features are used). If you want a more OXCE-like game, I recommend playing FMP's successor, The X-Com Files.

Thanks for the fast reply.  I'll just assume one of my files is screwed up somehow and not worry about it.  Right now all my soldiers carry two healing sprays and that will just have to be good enough.

How would I tell if I am running the OXCE version?  Do I have to do something special to make that happen?  I assume i'm on regular OXC since FMP runs, but how would I get the OXCE version for X-com Files? 

I'll keep playing through with the way things are now, but maybe the next run through I'll do the X-Com Files for something different.

Thanks again for your help.
Ted

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 09, 2021, 09:51:09 pm »
How would I tell if I am running the OXCE version?

You can tell by:
- the name in the window title
- or by the name on the start screen
- or by the color of the icon (green-ish vs pink-ish)

Offline Unmadesoldier

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 24, 2021, 09:02:58 pm »
Four suggestions:

A sick bay / infirmary: unlocked after you research medkits. Increases the recovery speed of wounded agents.

A gym: allows you to train up your agents to a certain level of improvement. Any further improvements have to be earned by sending agents on missions (and hopefully survive).

Make tritanium vests and personal armor more resistant to plasma weapons? As it stands both are almost entirely useless against anything more than ayy laser weapons (which they don't use that much of.)

Change the assault rifle to fire the same 5.56mm nato round and give it 26-28 damage and 30 round magazines vs sharing the same ammo as the rifle? This would give a much bigger difference between the weapons and really make commanders think about which weapons to bring.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 25, 2021, 04:37:26 pm »
Howdy!  New to all of this, only stumbled across OpenXCOM recently and enjoying revisiting some pleasant gaming from the past.  Now I'm checking out mods, and in looking at this one, found an old YouTube series with two guys playing it (the "Lewis & Ben Save the World" thing.  They are remarkably shit at the game, but in some of the tips they were given (which they ignored, by and large), there were a number of flaws with the mod pointed out.   Many of these were more in the opinion variety, and I'll table those for now until I make up my own mind after looking carefully at the data.  But some pointed out real flaws, for instance the mission RNG.  In delving into the data, it's clear that your math is off in many places in the mission race randomization (many of the totals add up to 110% or even more).

In reading the change log, I didn't notice anywhere that this has been touched, and I'm looking at the latest upload.  And what I don't know is where the RNG is for deciding which missions the game chooses to throw at you in a given month, so maybe I can get some guidance on that?

Thanks for collecting all of these mods into one place and mashing them together!  I look forward to playing with it.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 25, 2021, 07:23:04 pm »
In delving into the data, it's clear that your math is off in many places in the mission race randomization (many of the totals add up to 110% or even more).

Those numbers are weights, not percentages, they don't have to add up to 100.

For example weights SECTOID: 5, FLOATER: 5, SNAKEMAN: 10, MUTON: 5 correspond to percentages SECTOID: 20%, FLOATER: 20%, SNAKEMAN: 40%, MUTON: 20%.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:25:04 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:30 am »
Those numbers are weights, not percentages, they don't have to add up to 100.

For example weights SECTOID: 5, FLOATER: 5, SNAKEMAN: 10, MUTON: 5 correspond to percentages SECTOID: 20%, FLOATER: 20%, SNAKEMAN: 40%, MUTON: 20%.

It's good to know that they aren't a percentage, thanks for that confirmation, after I posted this, I was looking at the vanilla data and saw from there that they didn't add up to 100, either.  I came back to edit the post, but it hadn't been released yet.   So for missions, it works to add his additional content races, even though in several of those, I still think his application is a little uneven.  For instance, adding extra races has the overall effect of lowering other races, so perhaps in some months or missions, the vanilla races might need to be bumped higher (or in some cases, lower - for instance, replace some Floater weight with some Cthonite weight in early months).  Willy-nilly adding extra items on there is okay, but feels off to me (and I agree, this is just my opinion).

I would still argue his math is off in mission-related data - looking at the region.rul data, all he did was add additional entries to add weights for his MiB and hybrid missions onto vanilla weights, with no adjustment to the vanilla values to compensate.  That creates situations where his new missions will have much higher overall weight than vanilla missions, which I do not think is the intent.  An example (to save you from pulling up both and comparing), the vanilla weights for Central Asia missions are Alien Research 5, Alien Harvest 5, Alien Abduction 6, Alien Infiltration 10, Alien Base 8.  In FMP, the author then adds MIB Coverup 16, MIB Terror 10, MIB Base 4, Alien Flyby 9, Hybrid Meeting 10, Hybrid/Mib Meeting 5, and Hybrid Base 5.  Original total weight: 34 (so I'm taking what you said to mean 14.7% Research, 14.7% Harvest, 17.6% Abduction, 29.4% Infiltration, and 23.5% Base).   New total weight is 94, so the original missions are cut drastically, and the heaviest weighted item is now MiB Coverup at 17%, the previous high of infiltration has dropped to 10.6%, and the original "UFO" missions only occur a combined 36% of the time.

I think MIB and hybrid weight should be only perhaps 25% of additional content, and the original missions should be still 75% of the weight.   But I'm free to adjust those as I see fit.    :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 26, 2021, 11:17:30 am »
A sick bay / infirmary: unlocked after you research medkits. Increases the recovery speed of wounded agents.

No such option. It exists in OXCE, and I'm using it in The X-Com Files.

A gym: allows you to train up your agents to a certain level of improvement. Any further improvements have to be earned by sending agents on missions (and hopefully survive).

No such option. It exists in OXCE, and I'm using it in The X-Com Files.

Make tritanium vests and personal armor more resistant to plasma weapons? As it stands both are almost entirely useless against anything more than ayy laser weapons (which they don't use that much of.)

But why would you even research Personal Armour then?

Change the assault rifle to fire the same 5.56mm nato round and give it 26-28 damage and 30 round magazines vs sharing the same ammo as the rifle? This would give a much bigger difference between the weapons and really make commanders think about which weapons to bring.

Meh, micro for the sake of micro.

I would still argue his math is off in mission-related data - looking at the region.rul data, all he did was add additional entries to add weights for his MiB and hybrid missions onto vanilla weights, with no adjustment to the vanilla values to compensate.  That creates situations where his new missions will have much higher overall weight than vanilla missions, which I do not think is the intent.  An example (to save you from pulling up both and comparing), the vanilla weights for Central Asia missions are Alien Research 5, Alien Harvest 5, Alien Abduction 6, Alien Infiltration 10, Alien Base 8.  In FMP, the author then adds MIB Coverup 16, MIB Terror 10, MIB Base 4, Alien Flyby 9, Hybrid Meeting 10, Hybrid/Mib Meeting 5, and Hybrid Base 5.  Original total weight: 34 (so I'm taking what you said to mean 14.7% Research, 14.7% Harvest, 17.6% Abduction, 29.4% Infiltration, and 23.5% Base).   New total weight is 94, so the original missions are cut drastically, and the heaviest weighted item is now MiB Coverup at 17%, the previous high of infiltration has dropped to 10.6%, and the original "UFO" missions only occur a combined 36% of the time.

I think MIB and hybrid weight should be only perhaps 25% of additional content, and the original missions should be still 75% of the weight.   But I'm free to adjust those as I see fit.    :)

The numbers are as they are, it's a very simple and straightforward list. Perhaps there are too many MiB missions. But looking at North America, which is relatively heavy in these missions: all weights add up to 184, whereas MiB missions take up 43 points, which is less than 25%. So what's your point?

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 26, 2021, 06:33:17 pm »
The numbers are as they are, it's a very simple and straightforward list. Perhaps there are too many MiB missions. But looking at North America, which is relatively heavy in these missions: all weights add up to 184, whereas MiB missions take up 43 points, which is less than 25%. So what's your point?

You're not counting hybrid missions.  And North America has the highest weight of vanilla missions, other areas are much lower, so that's cherrypicking.

North America - vanilla missions + new alien missions (UFO flyby and Alien Diplomacy) (101/184) 58%, MiB missions (43/184) 23%, Hybrid missions including Hybrib/MIB mission (35/184) 19% - so MIB + Hybrid is 42%
South America, the numbers are 56%, 20%, 24% (44% MiB + hybrid)
Europe -  54%, 24%, 22% (46% combined)
North Africa - 45%, 29%, 26% (55%)
South Africa - 43%, 27%, 30% (57%)
Central Asia, I posted already, but for completeness - 47%, 32%, 21% (53%)
SE Asia - 60%, 26%, 14% (40%)

Does that better illustrate my point?

As I said, now that I know where it's coming from, I can adjust to my heart's content, but I think it should be a little more prominent in the mod's description that about half of the missions will be non-UFO content.  I mean, those missions provide little actual progress towards the goal, beyond solder training (and for the hybrid missions, a few more chances to capture a psi-capable alien).  I'm most certainly over-simplifying that, and quite likely even missing something there, but that's a quick opinion.

I mean, the other stuff you have put together, the other additions are cool enough without the hybrid/MIB stuff, I'm tempted to do a few play-throughs with them zeroed out completely.

On a side note, I find it odd that the weight of Alien Base missions in Europe is so low.  All the playthroughs I've done over the years, I never really noticed how the incidence of base attempts were low there, but I usually have good radar coverage in Europe, so the waves for that mission were always intercepted.  I guess it kind of makes sense, larger population density makes it harder to hide a base there.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 28, 2021, 11:43:15 am »
Sorry, I understood hour question to be about MiB specifically, not non-UFO content in general.

I can of course reduce this amount, but I'd like to hear more opinions first - do you people feel that you you get a lot of MiB missions?

Europe has lower chance for alien bases because it's densely populated. It's the same with South-East Asia.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:07 pm »
From my current playthrough i must say, yes there are a lot of MiB missions i've had so far. Good source of cheap armor and middle tier weapon loot (if they do not blast away half your team because you are overconfident :)) ).
However, the amount of missions is not something i would regard as unreasonably out of balance compared to "normal" missions.

As for bases in Europe.
Attached image shows the first (floater) base that popped up some time ago.

Might have to sacrifice some rookies to the RNG gods for being that kind.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: February 02, 2021, 08:04:34 pm »
Yeah, it's kind of interesting, in my current playthrough of mostly vanilla (added a couple of mods to start experimenting) before starting to try some of the megamod packs, I have bases that popped up in Portugal and Norway.   I just stepped on the Portugal base, which was also turned out to be a floater base. RNG is funny. Now I'm curious whether it was in exactly the same spot as yours!

I haven't intercepted a supply ship on the northern base yet, to identify its race. 

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:26 pm »
European bases can spawn within the 5 pink rectangles.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:10:45 pm by Meridian »