Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1599264 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
While you're at it; could you reverse the typical order of weapons development?

In Stock XCOM we go like:

Pistol -> Rifle -> Heavy Weapon -> Craft Weapon -> Base Defense

Which is a bit odd to me. Shouldn't it be reversed; so that:

Base Defense -> Craft Weapon -> Heavy Weapon -> Rifle -> Pistol

To follow the general trend of miniaturization of a new technology?

First, you build a huge 50 ton weapon, then you manage to shrink it down to 500-1000 lbs (craft weapon); then down to 50-60 lbs (heavy weapon), further to 8-10 lbs (rifle), and finally 2-4 lbs (Pistol).

That's exactly what we've been doing since the beginning of this thread. :P

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2014, 09:26:20 pm »
Interesting, although I don't really know what we can do with this. :) But it's good to have such ideas in the bank, you never know when they become useful.

Maybe eventually (after TFTD is in the game) there could be variable yield weapons that you chose the explosive power for before firing?

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2014, 09:41:01 pm »
That's exactly what we've been doing since the beginning of this thread. :P

Sorry if I'm rehashing things you've already hashed over :'(

Regarding Medikits, is it possible to have a single-use medikit that only stops one (1) fatal wound at the beginning of the game, to represent standard battlefield medicine circa 2000?

No stimulants or painkillers; as all the space is taken up by the stuff needed to stop a sucking chest wound.

It always bugged me that you had to research this to keep your soldiers from dying from easily preventable wounds at the start.

Regarding the use of alien research to unlock medikits; you probably have thrashed this out; but what if autopsying a chrysallid or snakeman unlocks ADVANCED COAGULANTS based on research of weird stuff found in their blood; which enables super quick clotting agents; allowing compact medikits with multiple fatal wounds capability?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2014, 10:20:51 pm »
Sorry if I'm rehashing things you've already hashed over :'(

Hehe, no worries. Though you might want to actuall read the thread to see what we're trying to do, should be interesting.

Regarding Medikits, is it possible to have a single-use medikit that only stops one (1) fatal wound at the beginning of the game, to represent standard battlefield medicine circa 2000?

I don't think so. You can make a 12 charge medikit, but that's it.

But who told you that 2000 medicine was any worse than the one today? :P

Regarding the use of alien research to unlock medikits; you probably have thrashed this out; but what if autopsying a chrysallid or snakeman unlocks ADVANCED COAGULANTS based on research of weird stuff found in their blood; which enables super quick clotting agents; allowing compact medikits with multiple fatal wounds capability?

What we have in mind is giving you a cumbersome starting medikit - basically the one made by Yrizoud - and then an advanced, compact one, which is the original medikit.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
use: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1782.msg16419#msg16419
it can heal 3 wounds (3 instead of 10 for all types, it is heavier and bigger 2x2)
i like it as a starting medikit

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:18 am »
use: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1782.msg16419#msg16419
it can heal 3 wounds (3 instead of 10 for all types, it is heavier and bigger 2x2)
i like it as a starting medikit

Yeah, that's the one. :)

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2014, 06:50:57 am »

No stimulants or painkillers; as all the space is taken up by the stuff needed to stop a sucking chest wound.

It always bugged me that you had to research this to keep your soldiers from dying from easily preventable wounds at the start.

I've been working on medicine stuff. Single-use field dressings are possible, but they behave like a medikit anyway, they do not disappear when used and recharge for next mission. I find this quite a nonsense.

I think for the start there must be a big medikit containing 3 heals and 5 or so stimulants and painkillers.

I also added tranquilizer kit - a small medipack with reversed stimulant

Code: [Select]
    painKiller: 0
    heal: 0
    stimulant: 6
    woundRecovery: 0
    healthRecovery: 0
    stunRecovery: -20
    energyRecovery: 0
    tuUse: 20

I find it quite useful to make sure an alien dont wake up in the middle of the mission, also it has some offensive potential, yet much weaker than stun rod.

I think final improvement over medikit may be improved health recovery when healing wounds, implementing knowledge about chrysallid fast regeneration

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2014, 11:26:42 am »
That tranquilizer thing works?  :o Very interesting idea!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:39 am »
I'd expect it to work on humans, but not aliens (or civilians). Am I wrong? :o

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
It's not bad if you use alien bleeding mod. You may heal an stunned and wounded alien ... but in any event, an alien which awakes is inoffensive because it is unable to collect a weapon (exept Chryssalid of course  ::) ).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
I was simply stating that as of now, healing won't work for either aliens or civilians. And the civilians part is sorta wrong...

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »
I'd expect it to work on humans, but not aliens (or civilians). Am I wrong? :o
Yes it works, and vanilla medikit always did too :) It works on both stunned aliens and not stunned ones (and civilians too). If they get tranquilized (their stun goes higher than health) they will go unconcious on the end of x-com turn or after being hit by any sort of weapon. Large units are not affected at all.

I also wanted this to drain energy but that was too glitchy.

Here are the graphic files I use (made by me, based on awesome civilian medkit graphics).

I was simply stating that as of now, healing won't work for either aliens or civilians. And the civilians part is sorta wrong...

I can heal aliens in my build of the game. Since i play with bleeding aliens enabled that is quite essential to keep them alive till the end of the mission. No bugs have been observed, they are treated just like x-com units.

It's not bad if you use alien bleeding mod. You may heal an stunned and wounded alien ... but in any event, an alien which awakes is inoffensive because it is unable to collect a weapon (exept Chryssalid of course  ::) ).

And psi-aliens. And if you dont want spend time catching those awakened aliens across the map :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:12:41 pm by Raidau »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »
I can heal aliens in my build of the game. Since i play with bleeding aliens enabled that is quite essential to keep them alive till the end of the mission. No bugs have been observed, they are treated just like x-com units.

Very interesting. Are you using a custom build?

Although frankly, I'm not a fan of healing aliens with human medikits. Sure, it makes the game harder, but nonetheless.

The graphics are very nice though! :)

Offline Raidau

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 06:17:16 pm »
Very interesting. Are you using a custom build?

Although frankly, I'm not a fan of healing aliens with human medikits. Sure, it makes the game harder, but nonetheless.

The graphics are very nice though! :)

No, just the last nightly build. Thanks, feel free to use :)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:26 pm »
But who told you that 2000 medicine was any worse than the one today? :P

There have been a lot of advances in bleeding edge tactical (battlefield) medicine from 1999 to 2014; mostly driven by the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. Among the new stuff (as of 2006) was:

One-Armed Tourniquet -- you can tie it with only one arm, where previous designs needed two.

HemCon bandage made from an extract from Shrimp cells -- it can stop bleeding almost instantly through a tight bond.

Using expensive clotting drugs designed for hemophilacs to stop bleeding in people suffering from massive trauma from IEDs.

Etc. Even back then, the pentagon was putting forth requests for a portable ultrasound device that would stop internal bleeding with intense ultrasound.