Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1612462 times)

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2640 on: July 15, 2017, 06:57:03 pm »
I fixed the Skyranger problem. The problem was that the left top fin was being placed as content instead of as a wall.

Is this an issue with the Ranger that should be included in the Universal Patch?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2641 on: July 15, 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
Is this an issue with the Ranger that should be included in the Universal Patch?

I do not presume that... That is just Reaver's and my own reinterpretation of tiles. I am not even sure if it's completely glitch-free. But I certainly wouldn't mind if people use it.

Offline Korenn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 09, 2017, 12:33:42 am »
Hi.

I tried to get 1.9.7 running with the latest nightly, but I get an error with commendations:
Code: [Select]
[08-08-2017 22:59:42] [ERROR] failed to load 'Final Mod Pack'; mod disabled for next startup
D:\Documents\OpenXcom\mods/Final Mod Pack/Ruleset/commendations_FMP.rul: yaml-cpp: error at line 0, column 0: bad conversion
I verified that I have 1.9.7 and without FMP activated the game runs fine.

Offline Lucius NeoChoJin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 11, 2017, 06:25:54 pm »
I saw someone playing openxcom with this modpack and thought it would be worth giving a go, and after a few noobish errors installing I'm pretty sure I have it all installed correctly but I keep getting an error.
It's the latest github nightly (AFAIK) 2017-08-11

~\OpenXcom\mods/Final Mod Pack/Ruleset/commendations_FMP.rul: yaml-cpp: error at line 79, column 9: bad conversion

I understand this is a cult game and has a small subset of people who mod but as this was one of the only modpacks available I would have thought it would work.
I hope someone can tell me why this doesn't work and how to fix it, I'd like to play XCOM again without the troubles that came from an old DOS game.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »
The issue is that the commendations ruleset format has changed in the nightly executable builds since the latest release of FMP - either remove commendations_FMP.rul, or look around the forums to see if somebody posted an updated version of this ruleset.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:46 pm »
Are you using 1.9.7? It's supposed to work.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2646 on: August 14, 2017, 11:03:06 pm »
Just tested with newest 1.9.7. an newest nightly works totally fine.

Offline AdamAz

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 25, 2017, 09:05:58 pm »
Hi there,

new guy here please be tolerant :)

I just downloaded openxcom and installed final mod (had some issues with it since it crashed a lot of times when I tried to open the ufopedia on combat knife (and many other items). Anyway finally got it working and got stuck on mission 5(terror site)

The only thing alive on the board are my marines, my minigun tank, one civilian and 3 stunned silacoid terrorists) and the game will not end.
The terrorists wake up after some time, I stun them again and the battle continues to not end.

For reasons unknown, I was unable to actually kill the terrorists. On one of them, I used up 20 tank minigun shots in the face (point blank) 2 shotgun mags and 2 grenades (to the face) and nothing.
I am running windows 10 64 bit here are the mods that I am using:

thx in advance for any help

https://ibb.co/iKOJ45
https://ibb.co/ngnd45
https://ibb.co/jbNpBk
https://ibb.co/gZghWk

Offline Ek1

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP) and eMace and shitty soldiers
« Reply #2648 on: August 27, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »
Hello and well meet,

the openxcom and FMP has get me back to the game after couple decades. Side of too little pixels the game still beats many modern games thst csn be beatin in hardest level in under 40h. The FMP brings the game lot closer that  i would imagine to see if aliens would invade. Shotguns, HMGs and drones and the like you would see in army nowdays. So huge thank you and all the modders for this piece of art.

There are couple things that dont feel quite right.

First of all there seem to be no real soldiers. To my understanding the soldiers are the best of the best chosen to protect our planet, yet some of them wold not clear any countries basic boot camp. Well, most of them. Equpped with assault rifle, two spare clips, light flare, grenade and a first aid bandage and most soldiers are over their limits unable to shoot anymore. The shittiest modern soldiers gets 1/10th of that pay are required to carry their personsl equipemnt or they are not working anymore.
After the dust settles the soldiers gain remarkable boost to their stats. Even to reaction that is a scinetific fact to reduce when people get older.
So would a mod be included where soldiers would feel more soldiers and also advance slower?

The melee  combat seems pointless as hitting a enemy is as good as winning in a lottery. Stun rod is the only reasonsble option when ele mace offers ˜20% hit chance versus 140% of shotguns at the same range. Getting into melee range with someone that has a heavy plasma aimed at you is already a huge risk. Not having even a decent chance of hitting just makes the melee useless aspect in the mod (game) and autohitting aliens jt feels like insult top of it all.
Could some balancing be made with the melee section?

Couple bugs, when the alineecointaiment gets full and some room is made in the prompt window it does not lead to corpses nor cash gained. They just disapear.

interrogation on aliens yeld quite often to zero info. Not even info of the next UFO flyby or terror site or boost to researchs or anything at all. And agzin i cant sell the living sectoid soldier that gave me zero info nor its corpse.

Again, huge thanks for the work you've done. I buy you a beer if you ever come to finland.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 27, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
Greetings Ek1, and many thanks for the favourable review.

I will address your points below, but first I would like to clarify that the FMP is not meant to change core features of the game. It is not an total conversion, it's more of an expansion pack. Therefore I haven't touched anything that would influence gameplay too much, except making laser and plasma way less available - that was necessary in order to do things I wanted to do.

My current project, The X-Com Files, a successor to the Final Mod Pack, is much bolder with the changes.

First of all there seem to be no real soldiers. To my understanding the soldiers are the best of the best chosen to protect our planet, yet some of them wold not clear any countries basic boot camp. Well, most of them. Equpped with assault rifle, two spare clips, light flare, grenade and a first aid bandage and most soldiers are over their limits unable to shoot anymore. The shittiest modern soldiers gets 1/10th of that pay are required to carry their personsl equipemnt or they are not working anymore.
After the dust settles the soldiers gain remarkable boost to their stats. Even to reaction that is a scinetific fact to reduce when people get older.
So would a mod be included where soldiers would feel more soldiers and also advance slower?

This is an example of a vanilla feature I didn't dare to touch. What can be done is making starting soldiers, well, better. But it would take away the character development process from vanilla, and I didn't want to do that...

Honestly, in my headcannon for decades these people aren't even real soldiers, they are more like detectives looking for aliens around the world. Therefore, they lack proper training and learn on the fly. Doesn't make sense? Well, blame Microprose! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(The The X-Com Files mod capitalizes on this element, and also allows you to train these random chumps at your base before going on real missions. And gives them proper suits, ties and leather coats.)

The melee  combat seems pointless as hitting a enemy is as good as winning in a lottery. Stun rod is the only reasonsble option when ele mace offers ?20% hit chance versus 140% of shotguns at the same range. Getting into melee range with someone that has a heavy plasma aimed at you is already a huge risk. Not having even a decent chance of hitting just makes the melee useless aspect in the mod (game) and autohitting aliens jt feels like insult top of it all.
Could some balancing be made with the melee section?

Melee weapons are meant to be last resort, otherwise it'll be too good (like in some FPS games where knives are better than rifles). Is this done perfectly? Hell no. Can it be done better? Probably not with vanilla OXC engine.

Again, it works better in The X-Com Files, mostly thanks to the training facility.

Couple bugs, when the alineecointaiment gets full and some room is made in the prompt window it does not lead to corpses nor cash gained. They just disapear.

It's something that should be addressed to the game developers, since as a modder I'm not responsible for such code. It's the same as vanilla game, I only add units, weapons etc.

interrogation on aliens yeld quite often to zero info. Not even info of the next UFO flyby or terror site or boost to researchs or anything at all.

That shouldn't happen... Unless you only have one last thing to get from a captive, and you start interrogating two captives. In this case only the first one researched will give you anything.

And agzin i cant sell the living sectoid soldier that gave me zero info nor its corpse.

I don't quite follow... You can't sell an alien? Or are you referring to the fact that you've interrogated someone for nothing?

Again, huge thanks for the work you've done. I buy you a beer if you ever come to finland.

Oh, I would be happy to! Finland is an absolutely amazing country, I loved it! (Was there in 2011, went to the Ropecon convention to give a lecture with Dioxine.) Fantastic place, I would very much like to see more of it!

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 27, 2017, 11:20:01 pm »
Solarius Scorch==>.., they lack proper training and learn on the fly. Doesn't make sense? Well, blame Microprose! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(The The X-Com Files mod capitalizes on this element, and also allows you to train these random chumps at your base before going on real missions. And gives them proper suits, ties and leather coats.)

I always thought the nations were sending the ash and trash and not seriously trained individuals and for the most part, are  experimenting with how serious they want to be in supporting resistance to the alien threat. The governments are operating with plausible deniability with their  public:

"There are no aliens, no need for alarm, just a gas leak. Call your utility company."

This I purport seeing how quickly the various countries  withdraw funding and making deals with the aliens if things go south.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 28, 2017, 11:31:51 am »
Yes, that too; in fact, both explanations are related and complimentary.

Offline Ek1

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 30, 2017, 01:06:12 am »
I will address your points below, but first I would like to clarify that the FMP is not meant to change core features of the game. It is not an total conversion, it's more of an expansion pack. Therefore I haven't touched anything that would influence gameplay too much, except making laser and plasma way less available - that was necessary in order to do things I wanted to do.
Well either i am too damn good in this game or the weapons still come really fast. Its october and i got heavy plasm in my repertoire (although i still go with shotguns as, well, they are fucking shotguns).
My current project, The X-Com Files, a successor to the Final Mod Pack, is much bolder with the changes.
I suggest you edit the opening post of that project mod to describe what the mod actually is and also keep it update about the mods state. If you happen to surf to the forums mod section directly, without visiting openXcom first, there is little hints what the mod is all about. Would reduce WTF's/second.
This is an example of a vanilla feature I didn't dare to touch. What can be done is making starting soldiers, well, better. But it would take away the character development process from vanilla, and I didn't want to do that...

Honestly, in my headcannon for decades these people aren't even real soldiers, they are more like detectives looking for aliens around the world. Therefore, they lack proper training and learn on the fly. Doesn't make sense? Well, blame Microprose! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, got any mod to point me to that would have soldiers that are worth 20k/month?

Melee weapons are meant to be last resort, otherwise it'll be too good (like in some FPS games where knives are better than rifles). Is this done perfectly? Hell no. Can it be done better? Probably not with vanilla OXC engine.
Well the stun rod has been the weapon for melee but as sometimes it simply does not offer enough juice I presumed the other weapons would offer more SMACK effect although with the cost of accuracy. I didn't suspect they would be attacks made eyes closed. I see it as a high risk vs reward tactical choice when burning most of your points to get up and personal with enemy geting reaction shots the whole way while getting there ending into no points to run into cower is balanced in my eyes. Lost good deal of soldiers while trying to brawl sectoids alone.
Again, it works better in The X-Com Files, mostly thanks to the training facility.
Is that training facility a standalone mod and does it reduce the silly advanacement speed othervise?

That shouldn't happen... Unless you only have one last thing to get from a captive, and you start interrogating two captives. In this case only the first one researched will give you anything.
It reduced significantly after i started to interrogating them one at time.

I don't quite follow... You can't sell an alien? Or are you referring to the fact that you've interrogated someone for nothing?
After interrogation there is nothing left of the subject, neither corpse nor subject to be sold.
Was there in 2011, went to the Ropecon convention to give a lecture with Dioxine.
About or really with?

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 30, 2017, 05:27:11 am »
Well, got any mod to point me to that would have soldiers that are worth 20k/month?

I think that is aways going to be subjective since a soldier is not just the pay you give per month, but  other things like  insurance to families,  food, maintenance (apart from the building itself) and other intangibles that are part of that 20K.  You also can edit the .rul files to make the costs less.

Soldiers + mod has more advanced skilled soldiers you can hire

I do not really care for the android and clones since earth tech is bullet stage until alien raids yield better items through research, but their veteran and police trained soldier for hire  tiers, for example, may be what you are looking for:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5651.msg86748.html#new

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 31, 2017, 09:20:36 pm »
Sorry for the delay in response, I am currently on vacation.

I suggest you edit the opening post of that project mod to describe what the mod actually is and also keep it update about the mods state. If you happen to surf to the forums mod section directly, without visiting openXcom first, there is little hints what the mod is all about. Would reduce WTF's/second.

To be honest, I don't think there's anything WTF inducing in the description. This mod is not many things. ;) But I thought it won't hurt, so I added this clarification.

Well the stun rod has been the weapon for melee but as sometimes it simply does not offer enough juice I presumed the other weapons would offer more SMACK effect although with the cost of accuracy. I didn't suspect they would be attacks made eyes closed. I see it as a high risk vs reward tactical choice when burning most of your points to get up and personal with enemy geting reaction shots the whole way while getting there ending into no points to run into cower is balanced in my eyes. Lost good deal of soldiers while trying to brawl sectoids alone.

Well, I have already increased max starting melee... I think knives are bad, but just right. ;)

Is that training facility a standalone mod and does it reduce the silly advanacement speed othervise?

Yes!

After interrogation there is nothing left of the subject, neither corpse nor subject to be sold. About or really with?

I think that's how it works now... I'm not sure, should something be done, code-wise? I don't follow nightly changes that well.