aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1602418 times)

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1875 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:48 pm »
I feel that the tech tree could use some work.  The biggest issue is that Elerium-115 can be research only after getting one of the random topics. This leads to things like unlocking gear that uses Elerium-115 long before you know what the heck the magic space rocks even do (in my latest game I had railguns and nuclear lasers well before I researched Elerium). I'd change it so that you can research it pretty early (around the same time as alien alloy, so maybe after you research your first engineer), but can't use it for anything advanced.

I also found two error in city names. First St. John's (Newfoundland, Canada) is misspelled as St John. Secondly Happy Valley-Goose Bay is spelled Goosebay. While the Happy Valley part isn't a must (the two places merged), there should be a space in there.

Those two error were easy to pick up since I live in St. John's. I must say it was fun to have a local terror mission even if the map had palm trees in what should be a boreal forest... Nice job RNG!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1876 on: August 27, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
I feel that the tech tree could use some work.  The biggest issue is that Elerium-115 can be research only after getting one of the random topics. This leads to things like unlocking gear that uses Elerium-115 long before you know what the heck the magic space rocks even do (in my latest game I had railguns and nuclear lasers well before I researched Elerium).

This shouldn't happen, since UFO Power Source is needed for these advancements. I'll check if there is an error in the tech tree.

The only thing that actually allows use of Elerium without researching it is the Ironfist transporter, using the principle of parroting alien tech without understanding it (put som E-115 in the alien engine, press a button, enjoy the power). But the general power output is poor.

I also found two error in city names. First St. John's (Newfoundland, Canada) is misspelled as St John. Secondly Happy Valley-Goose Bay is spelled Goosebay. While the Happy Valley part isn't a must (the two places merged), there should be a space in there.

These names were taken from another mod, by another personh. I haven't personally checked every city on Earth against a map, only visually, and since I've never heard of these places before, I couldn't catch it. Considering one is an ordinary medium-sized town and the other is a big village, I feel excused. :P But of course I will correct it.

Those two error were easy to pick up since I live in St. John's. I must say it was fun to have a local terror mission even if the map had palm trees in what should be a boreal forest... Nice job RNG!

Well, I guess it was worth keeping it in the mod then. ;)

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 27, 2015, 10:28:11 pm »
This shouldn't happen, since UFO Power Source is needed for these advancements. I'll check if there is an error in the tech tree.

The only thing that actually allows use of Elerium without researching it is the Ironfist transporter, using the principle of parroting alien tech without understanding it (put som E-115 in the alien engine, press a button, enjoy the power). But the general power output is poor.

Well the thing is you can research and use the UFO Power Source before you can even name the fuel. At the same time you can use it to fuel lasers or rail guns. What I was saying is that you should at least be able to name it before you use it. With alien alloy you can research it, but you can't really use it for much really early. Personal Armour for example requires a second research (which takes any live alien I think). I was thinking that you get the E-115 topic as soon as you find it, but to use it you still need the other info as it already is.

To sum it up I just found it werid that you could use a weird space rock as a power source without even naming it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:01 pm »
To sum it up I just found it werid that you could use a weird space rock as a power source without even naming it.

Well, it's an understandable concern, I'll think about it.

EDIT: I think it looks better now. :) Will go to the next release.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:54:54 pm by Solarius Scorch »

niculinux

« Reply #1879 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:29 pm »
Dear Solarius

havin tryed the 1.6.4 verison i've noticed some inconguencies

1) Since there is an assault rifle there may be no need to include the vanilla one, also because share same ammo

2) In the ufopedia there are ak-47 and uzi but cannot buy them (!??!?!) but in the meantime there's a machine gun. My advice is: include ak and uzi, and assault rifle and smg may be improved verison on these weapons, to be researched and manufactured (basically a swap, kinda)

3) if uzi finds its way may be slight modified to broaden the barrel and made less higher, like the real one:

Concept idea:
(from wikipedia :D )

Hope you'd appreciate :)

Offline Bob of Mage

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 28, 2015, 11:45:00 pm »
Dear Solarius

havin tryed the 1.6.4 verison i've noticed some inconguencies

1) Since there is an assault rifle there may be no need to include the vanilla one, also because share same ammo

2) In the ufopedia there are ak-47 and uzi but cannot buy them (!??!?!) but in the meantime there's a machine gun. My advice is: include ak and uzi, and assault rifle and smg may be improved verison on these weapons, to be researched and manufactured (basically a swap, kinda)

1) While there might be some truth to that I have found both rifles useful. I tend to mix the two and have a mix of them on my main troops. The AR is much better inside the UFOs, but worse at shooting outside at long range. Thus my AR guys tend to be the first ones in while the rifle guys cover them from farther back.

2) Those weapons are used by two new ingame factions that use mostly earth weapons. They start off much weaker then X-COM and are not much of a threat if you have good armour (with Personal Armour only RPGs and TNT are any threat to you unti they get advanced weapons). I think they are meant more as favouring to set the factions apart from X-Com.

niculinux

« Reply #1881 on: August 28, 2015, 11:49:59 pm »
1) While there might be some truth to that I have found both rifles useful. I tend to mix the two and have a mix of them on my main troops. The AR is much better inside the UFOs, but worse at shooting outside at long range. Thus my AR guys tend to be the first ones in while the rifle guys cover them from farther back.

2) Those weapons are used by two new ingame factions that use mostly earth weapons. They start off much weaker then X-COM and are not much of a threat if you have good armour (with Personal Armour only RPGs and TNT are any threat to you unti they get advanced weapons). I think they are meant more as favouring to set the factions apart from X-Com.

Thanks for explanation. Actually, i suppose they're usable once recovered :)

niculinux

« Reply #1882 on: August 28, 2015, 11:52:59 pm »
The skyranger in FMP has the sidedoor, near the cockpit, like the one feature in New Skyranger mod by Aldorn? If not please, i reallly like it. Plus the standard exit always cost a xcom operative slaughter when engagin!

niculinux

« Reply #1883 on: August 29, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »
Yesterday tryed FMP 1.6.4 it at superhuman, and by 3 month i lost 1 skyranger, have been beaten at 3 terror sites and retreated from 1 ground assault, it's really hell on earth (cit)  ;D

Hey Solarious, may you give some research hint to achieve laser weapons, without too much spoiler of course, please?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #1884 on: September 09, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »
Version 1.7 is online.

• Modified the tech tree to make Elerium a prerequisite to all energy stuff.
  • Better starting Melee for X-Com units.
  • Fixed Canadian city spelling mistakes.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:32 am »
Is there a problem with the modsite atm as I get the attached when trying to download v1.7.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 10, 2015, 01:56:56 am »
Is there a problem with the modsite atm as I get the attached when trying to download v1.7.

Hmm, I've reuploaded it, try it now.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 10, 2015, 02:54:54 am »
Yep got it fine, I was wondering if the attached diagram for the research tree is out of date now or is it still valid as it's from v1.5.2.a. Can't remember whether this came with this version or someone on the forum constructed it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 10, 2015, 12:24:41 pm »
Yep got it fine, I was wondering if the attached diagram for the research tree is out of date now or is it still valid as it's from v1.5.2.a. Can't remember whether this came with this version or someone on the forum constructed it.

Yes, this magnificent tech tree made by Meridian it is outdated now. The changes are: Elerium-115 now requires only UFO Power Source (and the item of course) and then leads to the Elerium Battery stuff. Topics that required Elerium-115 before now require Delta Radiation, and possibly also Elerium-115.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 10, 2015, 04:21:59 pm »
Thanks for the update, I thought it might have been Meridian but it should be a rough guide if I get stuck at any point. When I'm playing though I like to have a printed out version beside me though I'm still figuring out how to make it appear larger as it's so detailed, which isn't a complaint, when I print out a copy of it the writing is very small that I almost need a magnifying glass to see some of the entries. I've tried various apps(Adobe Photoshop CC 2015, Paint, Photo Gallery and Windows Photo Viewer) to open it with to see if I can maybe print it out larger over 2 pages but no luck yet, any suggestions?