aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1610502 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1665 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:10 am »
Is it just me or are heavy lasers really atrocious weapons?
Based off Meridian's little LP they come off as having absolutely terrible accuracy combined with a huge TU cost on each shot.

Or is this done intentionally so that having strong laser weapons is a huge pain in the butt specifically to indirectly buff sectopods?

I personally buffed the Accuracy of Heavy Laser:
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_HEAVY_LASER
    power: 90
    accuracySnap: 80
    accuracyAimed: 130
    tuSnap: 33
    tuAimed: 50

With this it is a decent Sniper Weapon :)
But still weaker and less Accurate then my adaptation of the Plasma Sniper Rifle:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_PLASMA_SNIPER_RIFLE
    accuracySnap: 90
    accuracyAimed: 140
    tuSnap: 30
    tuAimed: 45

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1666 on: June 21, 2015, 11:01:46 am »
An update of the Russian version is ready.  It contains some very small fixes and the translation of newly added strings. Since I can't already see any grave errors, I think I can consider it as 1.0. As always any corrections are much appreciated.

Thanks! Pulling it in.

Not sure what you think the problem is with the lights, maybe you did not understand me correctly: I only changed the landingears in mcdedit so that they are light emitters. I did NOT add any objects. No problems should appear.

Oh, OK. I indeed misunderstood. :)

Nevertheless, I'm not sure if the players will want it. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, I just find it hard to guess - it makes things a bit easier after all. Some opinions would be nice.

Oh and here another update and improvement:
(..)
-Added a backdoor
-Now you can walk/stand on the last tiles of the Skymarshal
-Added light emitters to the landing gear
-The soldiers at the small doors now start with their face towards the doors
-More accurate Base craft icon

Great! I'll take a look at it soon. It looks very promising.
BTW if I were you, I'd totally release it as a separate mod for the vanilla game too!

I personally would remove all the doors on the craft. Doors are for pussies and they are in the way of your blaster troopers staying behind in the craft :)
But that is my personal opinion.

Well, in 1% of combat situations it'll indeed be a liability, because you need to nuke something up close (and have Blaster Launchers already). Which is already kind of an exploit if you ask me, X-Com craft being indestructible and all.
In 99% of combat situations the doors allow you to escape the flying coffin that is the Skyranger/Skymarshall and actually survive an early alien grenade lobbed inside, finish the mission faster by having more arcs of fire and generally NOT be a pussy turtle. :) No, seriously, having more exits is ALWAYS better, and I've never heard otherwise from any player (and it works in real life military vehicles, too). But I may disregard something, so please don't take it as a rant, I'm just summarizing things that always seemed obvious to me.

Is it just me or are heavy lasers really atrocious weapons?
Based off Meridian's little LP they come off as having absolutely terrible accuracy combined with a huge TU cost on each shot.

Or is this done intentionally so that having strong laser weapons is a huge pain in the butt specifically to indirectly buff sectopods?

I dunno, ask Julian. :) I haven't really change Heavy Laser stats. In X-Com, lasers in general have poor accuracy, and I didn't do anything with this concept.

Actually, I'm more worried about the usefulness of Laser Sniper Rifle.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:38:52 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1667 on: June 21, 2015, 11:30:59 am »
Well i made the Heavy Laser basically into a Sniper Rifle :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: June 21, 2015, 11:39:42 am »
Well i made the Heavy Laser basically into a Sniper Rifle :)

Yeah, that's the classic way to go about it (XComUtil did it). I've considered it too, but ultimately decoded it worked just fine as it was, against other FMP weapons.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1669 on: June 21, 2015, 11:58:34 am »
btw Solarius, i just made a Proper HandOb for the Plasma SniperRifle Clip:
I am also making a proper Floorob the one from the FMP is soooooooo  BIG ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:07:59 pm by hellrazor »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:01 pm »
Oh and here another update and improvement:
Improved Skymarshal for the FMP (Final Mod Pack ver.1.5.3b)

Excellent work! I'm adding it straight away.

Well, except the icon. It's... well... bad. It may be a bit closer to how the craft looks like in the battlescape, but X-Com has never been very concerned with this, and besides I'd rather change Skymarshall's battlescape colouration (to alloy blue).

btw Solarius, i just made a Proper HandOb for the Plasma SniperRifle:

You mean a handob for Plasma Sniper Rifle Clip, right? :)

I am also making a proper Floorob the one from the FMP is soooooooo  BIG ;D

Well, it's a trade-off between visibility and realism. I'm not against making smaller clips, but it'd have to be all clips, and that's a lot of work. :)

Offline Bloax

• Colonel
  • do you want to be any of those things
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: June 21, 2015, 07:10:31 pm »
I dunno, ask Julian. :) I haven't really change Heavy Laser stats. In X-Com, lasers in general have poor accuracy, and I didn't do anything with this concept.

Actually, I'm more worried about the usefulness of Laser Sniper Rifle.
If I was to take an educated guess then lasers have bad accuracy in vanilla X-Com because they have infinite ammo, since there's only two ways to balance out infinite ammo in xcom - either low damage or low accuracy, since missing means a little bit less with no ammo to waste.

I'm not really seeing the advantage to using the heavy laser over laser rifles - which are much faster - unless we're talking about sectopods or something.
So bumping its accuracy up by a bit would help make it less of the big turd its big, brown sprite tries to convey.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 22, 2015, 01:06:46 pm »
*reads Solarius`answer and throws in yet another improvement*

I managed to fix a default XCom "bug" in your Planes_2.MCD, that special tile from the set was a "C" shaped tile and one could see through it (partially), which caused some weird shootings going on in some weird situations :-)

And well... the icon is different, not bad, how dare you say that of my lovely icon!?  ;D` :P

Anyway, it is an alternative, not less, not more, it's your mod, you decide  ;D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:09:19 pm by new_civilian »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1673 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »
You mean a handob for Plasma Sniper Rifle Clip, right? :)

Well, it's a trade-off between visibility and realism. I'm not against making smaller clips, but it'd have to be all clips, and that's a lot of work. :)
Jeah i meant the Clip of course :D

Well i so far have nearly all HandOb and FloorOb's for my Items, i am still mising a few. But the list is pretty small. (Actually only 3 or 4 Items)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 22, 2015, 01:12:30 pm »
Never understood why the designer made it a single storie craft with the wheels installed on the wings.

To get rid of the time wasting and dangerous ramp????? Guys where have you been the last 20 XCom years? Ramps suck.  ;D

And here to the guy who said keep TFTD out. See what you are missing...  :D ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1675 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:11 pm »
And well... the icon is different, not bad, how dare you say that of my lovely icon!?  ;D` :P

Well I should probably keep quiet, being the author of the Skymarshall icon Solar is currently using, but it might be just a matter a perspective. Your icon looks good enough... as long as you're using that blur filter you're using. But AFAIK Solar hates blur filters, and if someone wants crystal-sharp pixel art, well, your icon is a very primitive pixel art. Sure you can take it as a rant of a pixel artist (I do prefer pixel art over blur, true), but it wasn't my intention. It would be disrespectful directed at such a decent modder as yourself. My intention was to show that what looks good from your perspective (seen through a display filter) isn't neccesarily looking good from other people's perspective (those who don't use display filters).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »
And here to the guy who said keep TFTD out. See what you are missing...  :D ;)

Seeing how lovely all this stuff from TFTD looks like on your screenshot... can somebody explain why some stuff from TFTD taken over to FMP looks really awful?
For example:
- TFTD ufopedia articles (chtonite, reptoid, ...)
- TFTD dead/unconcious alien sprites in the inventory screen
- probably some more...

Is it a real problem with colour transformation, or was the person doing it just not skilled enough?
If it can be done better... could someone please have a look at it? It would improve the game experience by a lot!

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1677 on: June 22, 2015, 02:34:29 pm »
Seeing how lovely all this stuff from TFTD looks like on your screenshot... can somebody explain why some stuff from TFTD taken over to FMP looks really awful?
For example:
- TFTD ufopedia articles (chtonite, reptoid, ...)
- TFTD dead/unconcious alien sprites in the inventory screen
- probably some more...

Is it a real problem with colour transformation, or was the person doing it just not skilled enough?
If it can be done better... could someone please have a look at it? It would improve the game experience by a lot!

Meridian, TFTD uses diferent Color Palettes, i guess this is the main Problem.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:11 pm »
Meridian, TFTD uses diferent Color Palettes, i guess this is the main Problem.

Yes I know, but why some stuff looks very nice (see example from Civilian) and some looks really awful (see my post above)?
Maybe some of it is also "human error"... just thinking out loud...

EDIT: I cannot test it myself (I don't know how it works and would probably only cause "human error"... that's why I'm asking if somebody who knows how it works could have a look at it and check if it's a human error or not)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:21:12 pm by Meridian »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1679 on: June 22, 2015, 03:25:59 pm »
To get rid of the time wasting and dangerous ramp????? Guys where have you been the last 20 XCom years? Ramps suck.  ;D

The ramp isn't dangerous. It provides cover.
Having to depart from lvl 1 instead of lvl 0 has some serious advantages, you can easily deploy into all direction for example.
When i testplayed the FMP a little bit, i was honestly so offended by the Skymarshal, together with some other things, that i skipped playing it.