aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1613672 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1575 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »
Solarius you peek at my new Version :)
I fixed some minor issue with the Labship Cow.
Also now all my Fighters do have 2 Power Sources, so you can just hop them over if you like.

Also more Fighter Maps and 3 more Excavator variants.
Sentry Ship i will start soon. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1576 on: June 08, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
Solarius you peek at my new Version :)
I fixed some minor issue with the Labship Cow.
Also now all my Fighters do have 2 Power Sources, so you can just hop them over if you like.

Also more Fighter Maps and 3 more Excavator variants.
Sentry Ship i will start soon. :)

Great! I'll wait a bit to include everything at once.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1577 on: June 08, 2015, 11:08:03 pm »
Great! I'll wait a bit to include everything at once.

Jeha, probably the best, guess. Did you actually include the CitxAddOnTerrain from Civilian?
Since i am planning to, but din't had time to remake the old Mapscript into the new... But i will probably find some time this week i guess.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 08, 2015, 11:15:10 pm »
Jeha, probably the best, guess. Did you actually include the CitxAddOnTerrain from Civilian?
Since i am planning to, but din't had time to remake the old Mapscript into the new... But i will probably find some time this week i guess.

Nah, haven't touched the maps. For now I'm waiting on Hobbes to fix what's broken.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 08, 2015, 11:21:01 pm »
after salamander autopsy with a salamander corpse and a non-fireproofed armor (I think about Personal armor but Synthmuscles one could work also) you could produce a fireproof version of the armor (maybe red sprite version)
you get a 0% fire damage (or perhaps -100% for the Synthmuscles one).

But what armours would receive a fire-proof upgrade? All of them? I'm afraid it'd clutter up the menus, not to mention there's plenty of sprites to be made.

I don't think it makes sense anyway; salamander skin is heat-resistant, but not a magical item. It wouldn't make a human immune to fire.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 09, 2015, 12:11:08 am »
Because plasma/fusion weapon calibration doesn't give you full knowledge of the technology. It allows you to use these weapons, but you can't produce them, nor conduct any further research on the technology. Only proper plasma/fusion weapons cracks these secrets completely.

Well, that's what I was thinking/hoping for originally, but it doesn't work that way.

I just tested it as follows:
1. I started a new game and gave/edited myself 10 heavy plasmas and clips. I also edited the STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS_CALIBRATION into discovered items as the only research done. And bought 40 more scientists.
2. I am immediately able to research both the heavy plasma and its clip. After they are researched, I can also immediately produce them (without having discovered STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS)

Furthermore, after discovering the heavy plasma and clip I got STR_PLASMA_CANNON_DEP1 for free, which allows me to research Plasma Cannon too (same like in vanilla)... which I think should also not be possible without STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS... but it is.

I can provide a save if necessary, but I guess it is really easy to reproduce on your own.

Edit: I didn't test fusion weapons, but I think they suffer the same problem (if not even worse)... literally nothing requires/depends on STR_FUSION_WEAPONS in the research/manufacture ruleset.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:17:45 am by Meridian »

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:26 am »
1. Dart Rifle clip A is not a perquisite for Dart Rifle clip B, despite Dart Rifle clip B being a perquisite for Dart Rifle Clip C.

2. It's not clear that the Alien Data Slate only gives alien engineering secrets. For a long time, I believed that Alien Data Slate gave a random technology I had already unlocked. Until I read the tech tree, I had believed that the Alien Data Slate gave general information, like about Alien Missions and Medical Knowledge.

The Alien Data Slate entry currently reads

>  Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store crucial technical information regarding the invasion.  They can only be found in possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible.

Crucial technical information sounds more like logistical data than data on blueprints. I would suggest instead-

> Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store specialized technical information. They can only be found in possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible.

3.  The hybrid xenopedia entry is somewhat strange in how it handwaves the appearance of the aliens.

> STR_HYBRID_UFOPEDIA: Alien Hybrids are crossbreeds between humans and Sectoids, created for infiltration and monitoring of Earth, as well as various tasks related to the alien invasion. Even though they obviously look unhuman, they possess a camouflage technology that allows them to walk among our people undisturbed. They remain under limited psi control by their masters, but their loyalty mostly depends on intimidation and indoctrination. The Hybrids work similarly to human intelligence organizations and use equipment available on Earth almost exclusively.

The "camouflage technology" line weirds me out. The hybrids don't use alien technology in their day to day lives. I would suggest

> STR_HYBRID_UFOPEDIA: Alien Hybrids are crossbreeds between humans and Sectoids, created for infiltration and monitoring of Earth, as well as various tasks related to the alien invasion. They appear inhuman, but are sufficiently human in appearance to mask themselves with commercial cosmetics and prosthetics. They remain under limited psi control by their masters, but their loyalty mostly depends on intimidation and indoctrination. The Hybrids work similarly to human intelligence organizations and use equipment available on Earth almost exclusively.

Many thanks to you for making this mod and Meridian for making this tech tree. I died laughing when I realized that I got every single technological secret except for the ones I wanted most eg. Alien Subjugation for the small launcher, Gravity Generator for Plasma weapons and power armour.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:39:25 am by NuclearStudent »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 09, 2015, 08:15:06 am »
Well, that's what I was thinking/hoping for originally, but it doesn't work that way.

I just tested it as follows:
1. I started a new game and gave/edited myself 10 heavy plasmas and clips. I also edited the STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS_CALIBRATION into discovered items as the only research done. And bought 40 more scientists.
2. I am immediately able to research both the heavy plasma and its clip. After they are researched, I can also immediately produce them (without having discovered STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS)

Furthermore, after discovering the heavy plasma and clip I got STR_PLASMA_CANNON_DEP1 for free, which allows me to research Plasma Cannon too (same like in vanilla)... which I think should also not be possible without STR_PLASMA_WEAPONS... but it is.

I can provide a save if necessary, but I guess it is really easy to reproduce on your own.

Edit: I didn't test fusion weapons, but I think they suffer the same problem (if not even worse)... literally nothing requires/depends on STR_FUSION_WEAPONS in the research/manufacture ruleset.

I've tested it before and I think it worked. Anyway, I can't see how it wouldn't work from the ruleset. I'll check it of course.

1. Dart Rifle clip A is not a perquisite for Dart Rifle clip B, despite Dart Rifle clip B being a perquisite for Dart Rifle Clip C.

Dart Rifle Clip A cannot be a prerequisite to anything, because it doesn't exist. :P You get it along the Dart Rifle.

2. It's not clear that the Alien Data Slate only gives alien engineering secrets. For a long time, I believed that Alien Data Slate gave a random technology I had already unlocked. Until I read the tech tree, I had believed that the Alien Data Slate gave general information, like about Alien Missions and Medical Knowledge.

The Alien Data Slate entry currently reads

>  Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store crucial technical information regarding the invasion.  They can only be found in possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible.

Crucial technical information sounds more like logistical data than data on blueprints. I would suggest instead-

> Alien Data Slates are portable devices used to store specialized technical information. They can only be found in possession of aliens of the highest rank and should be investigated as soon as possible.

Yeah, I guess. (Though it's not only engineering knowledge that can be found.)

3.  The hybrid xenopedia entry is somewhat strange in how it handwaves the appearance of the aliens.

> STR_HYBRID_UFOPEDIA: Alien Hybrids are crossbreeds between humans and Sectoids, created for infiltration and monitoring of Earth, as well as various tasks related to the alien invasion. Even though they obviously look unhuman, they possess a camouflage technology that allows them to walk among our people undisturbed. They remain under limited psi control by their masters, but their loyalty mostly depends on intimidation and indoctrination. The Hybrids work similarly to human intelligence organizations and use equipment available on Earth almost exclusively.

The "camouflage technology" line weirds me out. The hybrids don't use alien technology in their day to day lives. I would suggest

> STR_HYBRID_UFOPEDIA: Alien Hybrids are crossbreeds between humans and Sectoids, created for infiltration and monitoring of Earth, as well as various tasks related to the alien invasion. They appear inhuman, but are sufficiently human in appearance to mask themselves with commercial cosmetics and prosthetics. They remain under limited psi control by their masters, but their loyalty mostly depends on intimidation and indoctrination. The Hybrids work similarly to human intelligence organizations and use equipment available on Earth almost exclusively.

Yeah, it's kinda brutal, but they clearly look inhuman and we can't say they don't. Anyway, this is how alien agents usually manage in conspiracy theories, right?

Many thanks to you for making this mod and Meridian for making this tech tree. I died laughing when I realized that I got every single technological secret except for the ones I wanted most eg. Alien Subjugation for the small launcher, Gravity Generator for Plasma weapons and power armour.

Haha, it happens. :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 09, 2015, 10:28:13 am »

Yes, that is my mistake, somehow the arrow is missing on the chart. Alien Data Slate gives both engineering and medical secrets.

I will update the chart once a new version of FMP is out... and Plasma/Fusion weapons are fixed (or explained).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1584 on: June 09, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »

Camouflage? That piqued my curiosity. Why not hybrid research -> hybrid camouflage tech -> stealth suit? :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 09, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »
Camouflage? That piqued my curiosity. Why not hybrid research -> hybrid camouflage tech -> stealth suit? :)

I guess it's... defensible. :)
But I guess it would have to be dependent on something else too, since Hybrids are early enemies and stealth tech should not be.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 09, 2015, 02:31:31 pm »

I think the text doesnt mean actual military pattern camo, but a tech that 'shapes' their characteristics to look more humanlike. That said although at first I were neutral on the text change, perhaps it would make more sense to edit it, as to suggest a more 'terrestrial' use of tech/equipment for this purpose. Something akin to their physiology been inhuman but humalike enough to enable effective impersonating (for a lack of a better word).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:40:39 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 09, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »
I think the text doesnt mean actual military pattern camo, but a tech that 'shapes' their characteristics to look more humanlike.

Yeah, it's some sort of visual field mumbo jumbo, possibly psi-related. Which makes it valid as a stealth suit prerequisite.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1588 on: June 09, 2015, 05:44:54 pm »
Psi-field that makes them appear like normal humans to other normals.  That was my original thought regarding the camoflage.  It sounds fine, until you wonder why XCOM agents can spot them as enemy units.  So not really sure about the whole thing.  If its make up and cosmetics, fine... they just aren't wearing any when you catch them at their resorts or conventions or whereever they are.  If its PSI, maybe when they are with other aliens the field is turned off or something.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: June 09, 2015, 06:53:02 pm »
It sounds fine, until you wonder why XCOM agents can spot them as enemy units.  So not really sure about the whole thing.

They wear those handy glasses.

EDIT:
Meridian, I tested and it looks fine - having Plasma Weapons Calibration alone doesn't give you access to Plasma Weapons. I'll have to simulate half a campaign to test it more thoroughly, but for now it's peachy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:19:30 pm by Solarius Scorch »