aliens

Author Topic: Geoscape Ideas  (Read 5167 times)

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
Geoscape Ideas
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:07:43 am »
I have a few things that have been in my brain for a while, things I'd like to see in the Geoscape but didn't know if they were dumb or not. As the release of 1.0 nears, I feel I have to let my ideas out, to see what is feasible and what is not and what is just dumb. Just some ideas.

Geoscape:
1. Bases that show their name by them, like Cities on the map do?
2. Ability to go into basescape for a base from that base's interception window?
3. Alien Bases that are affected by the Hyperwave Decoder? (Knowledge of species available on click?)
4. Ability for Alien Bases to save their RandomSeed on base generation and use that for the map, and slightly alter it +/-2 at random or something for enemy spawns when it is assaulted? This way if an assault is going badly and you have to leave, the base won't be a totally different base when you return? Or the base could even be farmed by crazy people. Make it optional for purists?

Would anybody else enjoy these things?

Ideas, viewpoints, logistics?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:09:38 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Geoscape Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:13:20 am »
I totally support every point of your request.

But as an option :-).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:58 am »

I don't think it'd obscure anything normally. Unless the base is directly over or near a city, then the names would overlap. I wouldn't like to see the game broken for people who like placing their bases on cities for fluff reasons (assuming such people exist).
Perhaps showing the base's name when the cursor is on it would be better? It's a bit of a hassle, but less than having to click on it.

2. Ability to go into basescape for a base from that base's interception window?

You mean the base defense geoscape map? I... guess. I used to dream of a way to actually see my base without aliens attacking it... but I'd rather have this option hidden deeper, most likely in the base information tab (the one under Build New Base).

3. Alien Bases that are affected by the Hyperwave Decoder? (Knowledge of species available on click?)

I think that would be logical. We know the species by the incoming Supply Ships anyway.

4. Ability for Alien Bases to save their RandomSeed on base generation and use that for the map, and slightly alter it +/-2 at random or something for enemy spawns when it is assaulted? This way if an assault is going badly and you have to leave, the base won't be a totally different base when you return? Or the base could even be farmed by crazy people. Make it optional for purists?

I like the ever-changing eldritch architecture of the Star Gods :P Honestly, I never even noticed; I guess I assumed you attack a different part of the base each time. But yeah, as an option, why not.

Hopefully this helps.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
3. was already thought by me.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1930.0

It sadly didn`t convince the writers.

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:10:13 pm »
I don't think it'd obscure anything normally. Unless the base is directly over or near a city, then the names would overlap. I wouldn't like to see the game broken for people who like placing their bases on cities for fluff reasons (assuming such people exist).
Perhaps showing the base's name when the cursor is on it would be better? It's a bit of a hassle, but less than having to click on it.

Good point, I have an alien base right on top of Singapore, so if the aliens like to do it..

You mean the base defense geoscape map? I... guess. I used to dream of a way to actually see my base without aliens attacking it... but I'd rather have this option hidden deeper, most likely in the base information tab (the one under Build New Base).

Not quite, just the screen from which you can do base management stuff. Basescape, you know? Not base battlescape. (isn't that something it's called? Basescape?) I just don't like having to go to my last selected base and then the base I want. My idea involves clicking on the base I want, then going into base management screen from that bases interception window that pops up. Or perhaps create a different dialogue first, asking if we'd like to enter the base view or order an interception (or cancel), if the "baseview from interception" idea doesn't work.

I like the ever-changing eldritch architecture of the Star Gods :P Honestly, I never even noticed; I guess I assumed you attack a different part of the base each time. But yeah, as an option, why not.

It's hard for me to imagine a different part of the same base having a completely functional control room which can independently render the base inoperable if destroyed.  But maybe if this could be introduced, it could apply to terror sites as well?  It's easier to imagine attacking a different part of the city if you have to retreat and go back, but still, if it's only part, why are all the aliens there?  What if it was the same terror layout?  Sure, civs and aliens would respawn, but that's just how it goes.

And Louis, maybe they are working on it, and maybe it's all a matter of how many people ask for it? Gotta have faith, bud!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:11:08 pm »
Good point, I have an alien base right on top of Singapore, so if the aliens like to do it..

Uh, I meant X-Com bases, but that's valid too. :P

Not quite, just the screen from which you can do base management stuff. Basescape, you know? Not base battlescape. (isn't that something it's called? Basescape?) I just don't like having to go to my last selected base and then the base I want. My idea involves clicking on the base I want, then going into base management screen from that bases interception window that pops up. Or perhaps create a different dialogue first, asking if we'd like to enter the base view or order an interception (or cancel), if the "baseview from interception" idea doesn't work.

Aaaah, I get it now. Yeah, I can see people would use this function; I think that's how it worked in many other similar games, though I'm not sure where at the moment. I support this idea for an additional "go to base" button.

But I'd still like to see an option to view the base battlescape too XD

It's hard for me to imagine a different part of the same base having a completely functional control room which can independently render the base inoperable if destroyed.  But maybe if this could be introduced, it could apply to terror sites as well?  It's easier to imagine attacking a different part of the city if you have to retreat and go back, but still, if it's only part, why are all the aliens there?  What if it was the same terror layout?  Sure, civs and aliens would respawn, but that's just how it goes.

Good point. But as for the terror sites, I would rather see the Xcomutil functionality where a UFO's crew is generated and remembered straight away when the UFO is generated, as opposed to rolled at the start of battle... Which means that if a UFO has 7 Soldiers and 2 Navigators, and you kill 3 Soldiers then run away, then attack it again, it'll have 4 Soldiers and 2 Navigators. I guess the same would apply to bases and terror sites, though the base crew would likely be replenished with the next Supply Ship. (Bonus points if that Supply Ship's crew has extra units as base reinforcements.)

And Louis, maybe they are working on it, and maybe it's all a matter of how many people ask for it? Gotta have faith, bud!

We can only pray. Harassment is the best form of prayer. :P

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:59:11 am »
X-Com Bases? Alien Bases? What about crafts, UFOs, etc. It's an interesting idea but not sure how to find the right amount of detail.

Done.

How do you define "covered by Hyperwave Decoder" though? Is it directly in range? A UFO that went to it was in range? You already went in there once? Etc.

Eh this just screams of complicated and exploitable to me. And really, if you had bad luck once, a different layout would probably be to your advantage. Maybe the control center will spawn closer to you. Maybe the aliens won't be all piled up under your spawn anymore. Etc. :P

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
X-Com Bases? Alien Bases? What about crafts, UFOs, etc. It's an interesting idea but not sure how to find the right amount of detail.

I was really just thinking for X-Com bases, but totally optional if it just gets in the way. Maybe make the game put the base name under the city name or something if it's too close? I don't know how that works. The city names only display when close enough, could the base names be displayed even when fully zoomed out? Make it optional like Radar Ranges?

Done.

AWESOME!!  ;D  Thank you thank you (you put in my favorite suggestion among those I initially posted.)

How do you define "covered by Hyperwave Decoder" though? Is it directly in range? A UFO that went to it was in range? You already went in there once? Etc.

I think it would make the most sense if we only got info on the race if it was in range of a Hyperwave Decoder. You are usually aware of the race when the base is established, if you can detect any of the many large UFOs that precede them, and it's usually pretty obvious what they're doing. If the clever bastards set up a base outside your range, tough luck. You'll have to remember them.

Eh this just screams of complicated and exploitable to me. And really, if you had bad luck once, a different layout would probably be to your advantage. Maybe the control center will spawn closer to you. Maybe the aliens won't be all piled up under your spawn anymore. Etc. :P

You make very good points, sir. You win on this one.

I have one last thing that has been bugging me for some time about this game. I live in Denver, Colorado, in crazy USA, and I know for a fact that North America has some dang Mountains somewhere. The Rockies are HUGE! They go clear into Canada! Yet there's just a--a desert? And what about the Californian mountains? The complete lack of mountains in North America kinda funny ( I think it shows the European focus when the game was made) but very unrealistic. Is there any way some could be added? Or would this idea have to be modded into the game? I shudder thinking of a ruleset for that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:25:33 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »
I have one last thing that has been bugging me for some time about this game. I live in Denver, Colorado, in crazy USA, and I know for a fact that North America has some dang Mountains somewhere. The Rockies are HUGE! They go clear into Canada! Yet there's just a--a desert? And what about the Californian mountains? The complete lack of mountains in North America kinda funny ( I think it shows the European focus when the game was made) but very unrealistic. Is there any way some could be added? Or would this idea have to be modded into the game? I shudder thinking of a ruleset for that.

-->https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=156.0

it is perfectly possible to make all kinds of changes to the geography of the geoscape. if you skim through the thread linked above, you will find volutar's globe editor somewhere, which is not perfect, but quite cool. so go ahead, if you want to make an improved globe, I'm all ears, I tried to do it myself once but it's a whole lot of work. maybe the globe editor will be perfected someday, so it becomes easier... :) we can always hope.