Author Topic: New Mod Portal  (Read 38640 times)

Offline Jo5hua

• Colonel
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
Re: AUTHORS: Please use the Mod Portal
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2016, 06:31:51 pm »
We will be doing maintenance to the server today and updating the linux system kernel to address a security advisory on a vulnerability reported to us today. We expect very minimal downtime and are working to resolve this as fast as possible along with many other modsite fixes discussed previously.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Joshua

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2016, 01:01:30 pm »
This will be #1 priority and will be fixed asap.. We are going to fix the mod names that are bugged as well as increase file size. Are there any other issues that need to be taken care of? Basic operations of the site are #1 priority and will be resolved very quickly. Thank you for following up! All will be fixed and resolved soon promise!

All issues will be fixed and resolved this week I promise..

So I will be "that guy" again and just say that it has been a month and the portal is still as useless as always.

Today's test: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/test789

Can we please take it offline?
I am really fed up having to explain to my viewers why this doesn't work... over and over again.

This is a shame to the whole community... shame on all of us, that we haven't been able to fight this cancer!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2016, 01:10:25 pm »
Thanks for being that guy, Meridian. Last time I complained about it, I've been called a dick by a prominent person. (And I wasn't rude or anything.)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »
Oh, I forgot answering this one.

I understand and share the frustration that you feel with the site but consider this.

Joshua has been voluntarily hosting the mod site for years, giving his own free time and resources.

We ALL are giving our free time and resources. Nobody is getting money for anything here.
The difference is that this portal is ACTIVELY wasting my time... as I answer questions of confused people several times a week.

Yes, the site definitely isn't perfect it currently has issues with uploads/downloads but unless you or anybody else is willing to give as much time, knowledge and resources as he's doing, despite his real life, then I'll still first praise him, before pointing out the flaws or suggesting improvements.

Sorry, but "isn't perfect" is looking at this through 10 pink glasses... it just doesn't work.
You can't rate the quality of something that doesn't work at all.

It's easy to complain about the mod portal, but if it was gone, then the community would definitely miss its absence.
And if anyone says that he/she could do a better job than Joshua and have a better mod portal, well, what are you waiting for?

The portal IS already missing... and nobody (except new confused people) is missing it.
Wanna proof?
Here's how people publish their mods:

Big mods:

Area 51 - dropbox
Hardmode - dropbox
Piratez - mediafire
XComFiles - mediafire
Awesome guns - github
Robin's mod - mediafire
OXCE+ - google drive

5 recent released mods from forum (I just took 5 topmost articles, didn't skip anything to affect the results):

Kjotleik's mod: forum attachment
Reaver'mod: forum attachment
Orz's mod: mediafire
Cydonia's fall OST: openxcom.org (not portal)
Spacemarines: google drive

Now, correct me if I am wrong.... but NOBODY is using the portal.

Offline Kjotleik

• Colonel
  • I am Kjotleik
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
Perhaps the best solution is to just make the Mod-Portal into a (searchable) list of mods, with links to external download-sites?

It's better than having to search the forum threads for mods (especially if you are looking for something you don't quite remember the name of).

Just ask for input of [Name of Mod, Link to download, Description of Mod and perhaps a screenshot/picture to represent it]

Don't know how easy it would be to implement an automatic virus-check for all links, though.
The latter would be a great service to the community, in my opinion. It's not really a matter of trusting individuals either, since people have had their online identities stolen before.

sincerely
Kjotleik

Offline CanadianBeaver

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • AwesomeGuns
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
Unfortunately, like the mod portal, the forum does not work sometimes and I have no idea who can correct it. For example, the first message of topic can not be changed:

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »
The mod portal has a lot of issues.
And Joshua has been hosting and programming it in his free time, so we should not really complain about this.

Unfortunately the functionality is currently not really given.
What I would like to have is a github repo for the source code for a mod portal.
So bugs could be fixed faster.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2016, 04:11:44 pm »
1/ If we don't complain, nothing happens. So I disagree, we should complain!

2/ I am not complaining in my name... I stopped using it a long ago... and I don't need it. I am complaining in the name of my viewers... instead of gameplay questions and joyful discussions about how awesome openxcom is... the most frequent discussion topic is problems with locating, downloading and installing mods (e.g. FMP) caused by the frikkin' portal.

3/ With critical bug fix turnaround being 16 months (and counting...), I will never even think about using it again... not even if everything was magically fixed tomorrow. Just disconnect the portal from life-support machines and allow it to die with whatever tiny amount of dignity it has left...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:16:55 pm by Meridian »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2016, 04:58:08 pm »
Meridian i totally understand.

And maybe we could make something of our own, opensource.
A Small Model-View-Controller based System, small SQL Database of better ACID Direct, so no risk of injections.

Fixed HTML Templates and simple admin interface.
Some CSS to make it look pretty. No need for extensive JS usage.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2016, 05:35:22 pm »
Yeah, I think a backup system is a great idea. If the mod portal starts working, then it's just backup, otherwise...

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »
A searchable to page would work fine - but the question is, how is that different than the forums?   The problem is that if you search for OXC mods, you go to openxcom.COM - and that site needs to just be taken down - it needed to be taken down last November when I first started exploring OXC mods and the same holds true today.

If you want backup for free - there's an unused OXC subreddit or there's always github - even though our use would be pushing the bounds of how it's meant to be used; that's how minecraft moders are doing it these days - they use curseforge.com is the topsite and it links to the individual repositories on git.

I can't find what it takes, but getting OXC modding onto Curseforge might be the best possible solution.

That said - if we're just looking for hosting - I have a couple VPS I'm not using - I just don't want to code or maintain a site.  That was something I did in my previous life and you can't pay me enough to do it again.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 03:47:57 pm by Starving Poet »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
A searchable to page would work fine - but the question is, how is that different than the forums?

Because the forum is extremely chaotic and you're not sure what you are looking for, you're done for - and also when you do know but aren't very computer literate (like most people, including gamers).
Also, it's hard to brows mods from the forum, unless you have way too much time on your hands.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
From a community standpoint, the dedicated mod portal is a nice feature to have, and the fact that Jo5hua voluntarily invested time (and probably some money) into it is to be appreciated.

However, considering that Jo5hua does not seem to have anymore time to tend to the portal's outstanding issues (those ones that everyone knows and loves), I think that it's time for the community to take action.

AFAIK, Jo5hua is not inclined to open-source (or at least to allow others to help with) the mod portal code.

So, besides creating a new portal from scratch, what are our options as a community?

Arguments in favor of a new mod portal:
  • Centralised everything, searchable, and maybe integrated with OXC at some point
  • Open-sourced - ours to maintain and upgrade as needed

Arguments against:
  • Lot of work, need careful planning
  • Also, need an experienced web developer
  • Need hosting - not for the portal itself, but for the mod files, which can add up over time

Please add your ideas and arguments pro/con or alternative options.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »
I tried writing an answer, but soon understood that we can't really talk about it without definition what you want the site to be. From the looks of it, you hoped for doing a site which is advanced and complex, while I would be satisfied with a simple page with links and short descriptions.

Since I believe in starting small, I think such a simple site would be fine. Something like I've done here: https://nocturna.cba.pl/

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2016, 09:17:20 am »
I did not actually had the intention of  proposing anything, I was just keen on asking for what you people believe it would be a good solution to the current situation. Like the links page you have pointed to, Solarius (which, like all the things, has pros and cons - hence the asking)

As the saying goes, "if you have a hammer everything is a nail". I write web applications for a living, so yeah, I feel that a CMS is best suited for this.:) You may call it a "professional deformation" :D

Still, that's only my opinion. My original intention of asking about yours still stands.