Author Topic: Completed map tilesets need implementation in OXC!  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Completed map tilesets need implementation in OXC!
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »
Would someone be able to take completed tilesets and convert them for today's OpenXcom? Luke's Terror-Site replacement, all of Hobbes tilesets, and any others out in the community that are left 4 dead need to live in our OXCs!

This is how we could do it:
  • Edit the Geoscape terrain textures(replacing farmland for cities that exist in real world) so we can have Luke's Terror-Site mapblocks in crash-sites and landing-sites since Luke has 37 Mapblocks.
  • Hobbes Dawn City to be implemented in the actual Terror-Sites, since his tileset has some less mapblocks.
  • Hobbes Port Terrain tileset can also replace some geoscape terrain.

Luke's Terror Site replacement
Latest download
Original forum thread

Hobbes Dawn City Terror-Site and Port Terrain
Latest download
Original forum thread
Hobbes Modding home

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:02:02 pm by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Completed map tilesets need implementation in OXC!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:47:52 pm »
You don't mean including said map expansions in the main OXC package do you?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:54 am »
what do you mean they are left for dead, is the OLD format no longer supported?

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:27 am »
Hey Hythlodaeus, I mean as a mod since they're not official Gollop maps.

Luke, I meant left for dead, because I thought you weren't going to come back to finish the job. It's good to see you again! Now I would mean it for the Hobbes sets since those were made for the original X-COM and I'm thinking we'll probably never see them in OXC if people forget. We had a thread talking about the Hobbes maps, but nobody climbed on to say they'll do the job.

I really want more tilesets ;_; and I hope Dioxine has plans to make tilesets for Piratez.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:16:33 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:06:25 am »
Well i am not really back, more likely, just visiting, i am only away as life is too busy...Yes, i want more maps too, especially since my Children now play x-com ( sure there 6 and 3 so they don't play well)..I dont have a problem with doing the maps, i rather enjoy it, it those pesky rulesets that i couldn't get working that caused me dramas...
That being said, If i had a working ruleset for my Urban map, it would only be a hours work to rename Hobbes files and get them working also as a seperate ruleset...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:02 am »
This is how we could do it:
  • Edit the Geoscape terrain textures(replacing farmland for cities that exist in real world) so we can have Luke's Terror-Site mapblocks in crash-sites and landing-sites since Luke has 37 Mapblocks.
  • Hobbes Dawn City to be implemented in the actual Terror-Sites, since his tileset has some less mapblocks.
  • Hobbes Port Terrain tileset can also replace some geoscape terrain.

Makes sense. Although terror sites could use either map really, so preferably it would be randomly chosen between the standard terror tileset and Hobbes' Dawn City. Same for the port. Still, I would like the standard city map to sometimes appear for farmland, but no more than 20% chance for this.

It would be even better if we could have several types of cities, like in Xenonauts: European town, Russian town, Middle Eastern town etc. Someday maybe...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:23 am »
Random maps are ok, but Maps per country would be best

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:39:55 pm »
I would be happy to help out with this any way I can. I downloaded Hobbes stuff, all his maps use modified vanilla terrain files. I renamed all of them according to the map that uses them, rename the maps so they don't overwrite vanilla maps, and had the same problem. Given key not present in dictionary. Then I had a brilliant thought, where in the heck is this dictionary? Eureka! I added the renamed terrains to the Images.dat file and I can now open Luke's expanded terror sites, and both of Hobbes mapsets!!! I'm so all over this.

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:35 pm »
OK, I have a few very important questions.

1. Is it terribly important to the community for there to be a basement factor in these new terror maps? I kinda think terror maps are scary enough, but I can work with it.

2. Does OXC support maps with 8 levels, for there to be 3 possible sub-levels and a standard ceiling 4 levels higher than "ground floor" for vanilla arcing trajectory limitations?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:56:40 pm by TurkishSwede »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:20 pm »
OpenXcom supports maps of any height (I'm pretty sure it was specifically added for Luke's maps).

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:11 pm »
Well, that's cool. Thanks Sup!

Um, does OXC automatically set the correct ceiling height too?

...is ceiling height even still a factor?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:16:56 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:38:37 am »
What do you mean "ceiling height"? If you're trying to throw things indoors, yes OpenXcom automatically accounts for the available height for the throwing arc and tries to do its best to fit it accordingly (more-so than the original anyways).

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:07 am »
Map ceiling height for throwing things outdoors, I remember something about having troubles throwing far outdoors with 70+ strength soldiers (or was that fixed a long time ago?), also flight max height.

Also, will it be possible to use these basement capable maps alongside maps without 3 levels of dirt under everything? Can the engine be told what level is ground level? Right now I imagine a building size dirt pile in the middle of the city..  :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:20:54 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 02:00:41 am »
Map ceiling height for throwing things outdoors, I remember something about having troubles throwing far outdoors with 70+ strength soldiers (or was that fixed a long time ago?), also flight max height.

Also, will it be possible to use these basement capable maps alongside maps without 3 levels of dirt under everything? Can the engine be told what level is ground level? Right now I imagine a building size dirt pile in the middle of the city..  :o
Now I'm dreaming about a junkyard in the middle of the city ><

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 02:24:45 am »
Yes the basement levels were desired for this mapset to make it something different, on the plus side, its pretty rare for the aliens to spawn down there, it was meant to showcase what we can and cant do and provide units another option to get around (lets face it, the current maps are pretty FLAT, i wanted this to stand out)...