aliens

Author Topic: option to end game time limit  (Read 6938 times)

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
option to end game time limit
« on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:08 am »
It would be nice to have the option to turn off the time limit, so that the game wouldn't end after a certain date.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: option to end game time limit
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:43:02 am »
There's no time limit. ???

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:01 am »
Um..  I was playing it, and I didn't go to mars in time, and the game ended. I had 'excellent'  for all of my monthly reports, plenty of money, and was ready for just about any kind of battle,  so it was an odd way to lose. It showed that screen with all of the deformed humans.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:26:50 am by b »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:12:37 am »
well, that doesn't happen randomly, but there's still no time limit. i couldn't say why you got a game over without seeing a saved game, but if i had to guess i'd wager on -1m balance 2 months in a row.

possible game over scenarios include:
- a debt of 1 million or more at the month's beginning twice consecutively.
- the council is displeased two months consecutively.
- xcom's base count is reduced to 0.
- you abort or fail during the mars assault.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:17:23 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »
How many years was your game going on for?

I would guess it's failing the mars mission which did it for you.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:28 pm »
It's certainly the "debts at the beginning of month, 2 months in a row". It's very easy to over-invest when you get a lot of alien booty during a month. (build new facilities, fill them with scientists or engineers) and the total costs are not so easy to sum when you got multiple bases.

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:53:08 pm »
Ok ...  So my monthly income was actually almost 4 million less than my expenditure after building some stuff, but I had slightly less than 4 million on hand, so it  I only had to sell a little surplus junk to make it to the next month. It would be nice if there was a way to see how much you are in the hole without having to pick up a calculator, and perhaps a message saying why the game ended.  Also, at one point I was seeing weight limits listed in the pre-battle equipping screen, but I'm not seeing them anymore, I suppose that was from  a mod, but it seemed appropriate to have it.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
that's actually an option, not a mod. we reset everyone's options when SupSuper sexied up the menus.
as for the warning: the council would have warned you to get your debts under control after the first month, and that's what the graphs window is for, it shows income/expenditure etc.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:18:20 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »
Ok ...  So my monthly income was actually almost 4 million less than my expenditure after building some stuff, but I had slightly less than 4 million on hand, so it  I only had to sell a little surplus junk to make it to the next month. It would be nice if there was a way to see how much you are in the hole without having to pick up a calculator, and perhaps a message saying why the game ended.  Also, at one point I was seeing weight limits listed in the pre-battle equipping screen, but I'm not seeing them anymore, I suppose that was from  a mod, but it seemed appropriate to have it.
Normally the monthly report will give you a warning the first month you are in debt alerting you to fix your situation, and in the second month you will get a new message informing you why you were shutdown. If you are getting skipped straight to the Game Over screen, that is a bug.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:36:48 pm by SupSuper »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
The first warning works, but many hours of play later, you're not very likely to remember that you started the month in negative, and the Report can be a big surprise :
(This is a screenshot I made three month ago)

Offline Sniper435

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 09:45:01 pm »
I've just been hit by the game ending unexpectedly too - I had a single warning about money levels but since then I've been selling >6,000,000 per month in laser canons and been swimming in money. no other council  complaints and I've nearly got 100% radar coverage of main landmasses...