Author Topic: My First Sprite  (Read 7887 times)

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
My First Sprite
« on: April 02, 2014, 05:05:44 am »
i made (modified) this laser sniper rifle with the scope being Solarius Scorch's Item Levels more variability

this BigOb is based off of the laser sniper rifle, i made it because i could not find any blue laser sniper rifles, so i decided to try making my own

let me know if i got the color pallet right, and what you think about the spirit

EDIT: i noticed in my in-game use of the sprite, the color pallet does not seem to work, it looks like tye-dye any help or advice on this?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:40:23 am by MFive »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: My First Sprite
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:01:14 am »
you need to use PS or another program to set the color to 8 bit and  the custom palette. use the battlescape palette

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:27 am »
i could not find any blue laser sniper rifles, so i decided to try making my own

You're wrong Sir, I've made one long time ago :)

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
you need to use PS or another program to set the color to 8 bit and  the custom palette. use the battlescape palette

regretibly i do not have photoshop(PS i assume), i do have paint.net and gimp iirc gimp can change the pallet and found instructions here
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/bb_tools.html
to do this, but i have no 'frame of referance' to get the pallet from i also noticed that paint.net can also change pallet, but again, i have no pallet

i converted the file via bomb blokes tools, which i fear has altered the pallet of all of the files that it converts

You're wrong Sir, I've made one long time ago :)

that looks awesome!(and similar to the one i kinda 'butchered') but even if i get the pallet fixed, i fear that i will be incapable of making the rotating sprites(their name escapes me) due to lack of skill, as most that i see look very different from the original

thanks to both of you guys for the input

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:59 pm »
When you get Photoshop to play around with the graphics (notice "when" as opposed to "if" :P), you can use this attached palette to make sure it will work.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »
I need to do the hand sprites for this gun at some point too, basically just strap a scope on top of the original Laser Rifle and maybe add a pixel or 2 to lengthen the barrel... Huh I might even release it as a standalone mod so you can wait till I do that... or take the fight to the enemy and do it yourself :)

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:17 am »
"blue laser" ??

What is the ruleset trick to manage laser beal color ?

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:51 am »
When you get Photoshop to play around with the graphics (notice "when" as opposed to "if" :P), you can use this attached palette to make sure it will work.

yea, i should really get photoshop, but for now paint.net or gimp will have to work, and thanks a ton for the color palette, that will help alot :D

This thread might help: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1557.0

yes this thread has helped alot, thanks for the help

I need to do the hand sprites for this gun at some point too, basically just strap a scope on top of the original Laser Rifle and maybe add a pixel or 2 to lengthen the barrel... Huh I might even release it as a standalone mod so you can wait till I do that... or take the fight to the enemy and do it yourself :)

i might use yours if you don't mind, but i would like to figure out how to do this, i have plans for other sprites if i can get this to work for me, thanks for the offer

"blue laser" ??

What is the ruleset trick to manage laser beal color ?

erm, i am not sure what you mean by ruleset trick, but i had meant that i could't find a laser sniper rifle sprite that was blue and not red

thanks guys for all of your help and input on this

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 01:26:19 am »
Ok ....

I misunderstood, i have taken the "blue" for the beam, not for the weapon.

The red sniper laser is probably mine ... and the idea of giving it a blue beam sounded cool.

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 01:51:38 am »
If you want a blue or red laser beam you can use my recolored hit and bullet sprites.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1901.0