aliens

Author Topic: [Question] Can a manufacturing project be used to repair aircraft?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I've been looking through the ruleset coding information and I was wondering if it's possible to create a manufacturing project that leverages your existing engineers to help repair aircraft faster. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to allow you to pull information on current items in the inventory and using their status to adjust the project duration wnd costs. I may not be reading the wiki right, so can anyone weigh in on this?

Also, side question, could a foundry-like facility be implemented? I merely ask from a technically possible perspective.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Can a manufacturing project be used to repair aircraft?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »
Also, side question, could a foundry-like facility be implemented? I merely ask from a technically possible perspective.

Open source baby, anything can happen! Add one-time manufacturing jobs and have their effects be upgrades. I think the hardest part would be having someone motivated enough to do it all; going through the code and adding little "if foundry take-less-damage, then take less damage".

Your first question about using engineers to repair interceptors: I would be surprised if the rule set would be so successful, you would probably need to adjust the source for that option. To do it properly might take a bit of work, to do it hackishly probably not so much.

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:56:53 am »
Well dang, I was hoping to do these in rule sets, because I am not a programmer. Drat. Looks like I'll take the lazy way and just bump up repair speeds. (Taking over a month to repair one craft is ridiculous, especially with engineers on staff)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:45 am »
Not a coder, but how about instead of separate project that Engineers can work on, instead the Plane Repairing gets a bonus from the amount of Idle Engineers you have.

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:32 pm »
honestly I think this idea could be implemented without any additional coding... you could just set up a manufacturing job to create a new aircraft, using up the damaged one. I don't know if it'd be faster than just letting the interceptor repair itself normally though, since the new craft would need to refuel as well as be re-equiped and reloaded. But it'd be useful/faster if used on an avenger.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:59:58 pm »
honestly I think this idea could be implemented without any additional coding... you could just set up a manufacturing job to create a new aircraft, using up the damaged one. I don't know if it'd be faster than just letting the interceptor repair itself normally though, since the new craft would need to refuel as well as be re-equiped and reloaded. But it'd be useful/faster if used on an avenger.

but shouldn't it take longer for more heavily damaged craft? that would mean code changes. also, are craft handled like other items? is it possible to have a manufacturing project that uses a craft as a raw material? (I honestly don't know. it would be nice, though. think "install alien alloy plating" for interceptors...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:58 pm »
but shouldn't it take longer for more heavily damaged craft? that would mean code changes. also, are craft handled like other items? is it possible to have a manufacturing project that uses a craft as a raw material? (I honestly don't know. it would be nice, though. think "install alien alloy plating" for interceptors...)

AFAIK it's not possible. It was discussed before, probably more than once; the issue is that the game would have to know which craft is supposed to be used if you have several in the base, and they may have different setups.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:19 pm »
I see the problem.

I guess this just isn't possible without coding. It would still be cool to implement this. Because each craft has a unique name, doesn't it? INTERCEPTOR-1, INTERCEPTOR-2 and so on, unless you re-named them, but the name does need to be unique, doesn't it? So it would theoretically be possible to add custom "mod-construction" jobs, like "install alien alloy plating" which then asks you to select the craft that is supposed to be modified.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »
I certainly agree.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »
Everything is possible if you code it. :P But it would be a whole new gameplay feature, not really related to manufacturing (you see manufacturing as "tasks that engineers do" but the game seems manufacturing as "a task that produces a new item").