aliens

Author Topic: openxcom - bad remake  (Read 14355 times)

Offline viktorcech

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
openxcom - bad remake
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:48:50 pm »
sorry, but openxcom is now totally different game like original ufo.. ;)

new music, new sounds, different interface.
why why why?
why not like original?

every day new versions with fixes, but with xxx new bugs..
why?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: openxcom - bad remake
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »
care to elaborate?

Offline B1ackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:43 pm »
wait.....really?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:32:24 pm »
care to elaborate?

Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:37:14 pm »
Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Yes it is...

Offline hszp

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • szabopeter@github
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »
Hm. He is right actually. OpenXcom is no more just a reimplementation and just the necessary fixes, it's an improved, extended X-COM game. To most readers of this forum (including me) that is probably something positive. However, if somebody just wants to play the original without the bugs but also without higher resolution, modding possibilities and stuff, he does not need all the advanced options. No matter how simple the implementation to any added feature is, each and every line of code increases the probability of additional bugs. So if anyone would take up the task and create a fork without all the extras, that would be nice. I'd most likely never play that version but at least viktorcech would  ;) The funny thing is, that this alternative fork might get less testing and achieve inferior quality in the end because of moderate popularity.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:47:48 pm »
Hm. He is right actually. OpenXcom is no more just a reimplementation and just the necessary fixes, it's an improved, extended X-COM game. To most readers of this forum (including me) that is probably something positive. However, if somebody just wants to play the original without the bugs but also without higher resolution, modding possibilities and stuff, he does not need all the advanced options. No matter how simple the implementation to any added feature is, each and every line of code increases the probability of additional bugs. So if anyone would take up the task and create a fork without all the extras, that would be nice. I'd most likely never play that version but at least viktorcech would  ;) The funny thing is, that this alternative fork might get less testing and achieve inferior quality in the end because of moderate popularity.

You also have to think sometimes about what is a bug and what is a "feature"... XD

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:25 pm »
i'm kinda interested to hear the criticisms, after all... die hard fans are our target demographic.

as for new sounds new music and new interface... i'm not at all sure what you mean, the music and sound effects are all original, and the only interface changes we've made have been usability oriented, like incorporating the scroll wheel.

as for new features, anything i add that goes outside the realms of what ufo had to offer are disabled and unused by default. anyone picking up the game to play without fiddling with options or mods should have more or less the same experience as someone playing the original xcom, albeit with the aforementioned usability tweaks.

there should be no need for an alternative fork like hszp suggests, the default package represents this. anything that's an optional extra is exactly that, optional. nobody is forcing you to use pathfinding preview, or to enforce containment limits, or use shotguns.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »
Warboy, you are my hero

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:05 am »
In my opinion OpenXcom is by far one of the best works, I`ve seen since, since.... 1994 (Ufo-Defense Vanilla).

OpenXcom beats Xcom - Enemy Unknown 2012 1000 times.

You are free in the old game. You are not forced to go into the war with only 6 men....

In OpenXcom you are not cheated by the game, by being confronted with 3 abductions but can only react to one.

Really, I think, OpenXcom is at the moment the best game I have on my PC since I started playing in 1986.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »
I know the crysallid makes a lot of noise, especially when you got maybe 7 of them on a superhuman terror ship, but it sounds like fun, maybe I should just turn down sound volume for that.

But it is amazing....  I know I'll get bored in enemy within but openxcom...  I just know I'll be coming back to this....  Need to get the word out and get my non pc playing friends to get addicted....

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:31:02 am »
OXC is not a simple "rebuild" of the game to make it work natively on modern systems. It is a complete rewrite, from scratch. And definately, not a "remake".

While the devs do try to closely follow the original game, there are some minor differences from the original - simply because while some details of the game are known (like the damage formulas), some were implemented without having access to the inner working of the original engine (like the A.I.).

However, the CORE of the game is as close as possible to the original, with only minor (and "modern) improvements - like the mousewheel Warboy mentioned.

Every other option is ... well... OPTIONAL. It's simply something that you don't have to use if you don't want to (sorry Warboy for kinda duplicating your post).

You can't really blame the developers for implementing stuff like MOD support and various gameplay related options (including patching the game data on the fly to fix some of the original bugs!)

Yes, this is not the original game. If you want the original, play the original. Use the extender to fix some of the bugs and play it.

Or better yet, play OXC without any extra options activated. And while at it, report bugs and help fix them. Give a hand coding if you are able.

But whining that OXC had a different interface, different sounds and music (where did those come from?) without even taking the time to thank the dev team for their efforts and free time invested in this, is plain (and simply) wrong.

Look, I am a TFTD fan. I don't like UFO that much (though I finished it several times). Can't wait to play TFTD on this modern engine.

What should be my options:
#1 Whine that after so much time and active development, TFTD support is still not in the engine (hell, not even v1.0 of the engine is released) and be mad at the devs
#2 Help iron out bugs, give suggestions and formulate opinions on various features, to help the devs to get OXC support TFTD
#3 Shut the hell up and go do/play something else.

I'll take #2 any time.

And I'll take a #2 on anyone who whines about anything without attempting at least to give a hand in fixing it.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »
The sounds/music is different because:

A) You're using the Windows/1.4 data files while you remember the old DOS 1.0/1.2 sounds
B) You don't have the same soundcard/OPL emulation you've played with before

None of these are OpenXcom's fault, and they're read from the original game data and NOT modified. But you can get it sounding like before by getting certain addons. Get the Adlib music pack for the SoundBlaster music and the 1.0/1.2 sound addon for the old sounds.

As for the interface...the only differences are a few new buttons here and there and a more detailed options menu. If you're seriously mad about that, then you've got other issues beyond Openxcom...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:27:50 pm by Tarvis »

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:39 pm »
Actually, the sound change was part of the patch for XCOM way back.  Its part of XCOM 1.2, I think. 

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 03:22:27 am »
1.4 is what changed the sounds. 1.2 doesn't change the sounds.

Still, it's not OpenXcom that changes them.