aliens

Author Topic: !S.O.S.! Any SectoPod Engineers? Please Help Enforcement Droid Series 209. >_<  (Read 13263 times)

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
#!S.O.S.! Any SectoPod Experts here?#

Help, I've bit off a bit more than I can handle >_<

I'm still working on my STAR RANGER, Armor Weapons and HWPs... I can handle them but this is beyond me >_<  I have succesfully captured the "Cyclops" Mech, it has been reposition and color adapted for UFO use. But I have no idea on how to slice it up into the Sectopod Sprites at all >_<

I already Have, sounds and ruleset picked out, but I need help converting these sprites. I'll help work on death animation and the corpse if anyone is interested in this.  Does anyone think I should add the Front Grill and guns barrels to make it look more like ED-209?

ED-209 is the last Major item on my wish list for the original XCOM, so anyone interested? ^_^ Also if you people want a QUAD (Wheeled HWP) I can supply the sprites if you people want ^_^

I'll continue to work on my other stuff and hopefully, have them ready soon ^_^ 

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:37:24 pm by Fox105iwsp »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
it's all about occlusion.

each section will occlude the three tiles to the north (screenwise) and likewise be occluded by the three tiles to the south (screenwise).
you could almost get away with cutting each sprite vertically along the middle and just doing the left/right sprites, leaving the top/bottom blank and it SHOULD occlude properly, although bullet hits might look a little strange if you shoot the top section because it will be occluded by the left/right sides.

hope this all makes sense.

side note: this is my thousandth post!

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Not Really >_<
             maybe a picture might help, you could draw lines on where  to start sawing this mech.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
Very nice! Now sectopods will have something to worry about.

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Anyone want to take a crack at the sprites? >_<

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
The 4-tile spritesheet for sectopods or reapers is divided into:

4 tile-sprites (obviously), top, bottom, left and right (think user-wise, not unit-wise)
  - each having 8 facings
     - each having 5 animation frames (including stationary)

for a total 4*8*5 = 160 frames in the sprite sheet

The sprite sheet starts with all the facings for the stationary sprite (0-7 for top tile-sprite, 8-15 for the right, 16-23 for the left, 24-32 for bottom), then it starts over with 32-47 being animation for facing 1 (NE, as with the soldier sprite), 4 frames for the top tile-sprite, then 4 for the right, left and bottom each, for a total of 16. This pattern repeats with all the 7 remaining facings.

For easy reference, take a look at my ripped and reworked Triscene spritesheet (under Sprites/TRD_6 in the Piratez mod), they didn't give a damn about occlusion so it's much easier to understand than studying Sectopod or Reaper spritesheets. Just don't look at the original TFTD Triscene if you have it, TFTD uses a different frame order.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:31:24 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Thanks Dioxine, that's very useful  information ^_^ It's a littlw like armor systems.

But can I have your opinion on how to cut up ed209 into the 4 tiles? that is my main problem >_< I don't know how to divide my sprites into 4 pieces >_<

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Well... just cut every frame into 4 even quarters? lol :)

just kidding, the parts won't be even, try to think how the unit would look in every frame.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:34:08 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Eow, this could push my mod back a week >_<

Still, you've given me some ideas, I'll run some R&D to see what happens...
Also to anyone who has downloaded the sprites, let me know if if you're doing anything or if you have made any progress.
It would be better to coordinate the effort, rather than wasting time on our own

My time for modding this game is limited, I have other duties to attend to ^_^  Still, I will do what I can to make my contributions to this great Masterpiece of gaming worthy ^_^

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
i started an attempt at it, but he's way too big. he needs to be shrunk by at least 25%

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Right, smaller, I'll see what I can do when I'm free ^_^

Does anyone have any idea what size the unit boxes are?
I will help with scaling and dividing the unit.... ^_^
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:22:51 pm by Fox105iwsp »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
(roughly) 64x64

Offline Fox105iwsp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I see, thanks ^_^ I'll get beck to it, I'm almost done with my armor systems.
Think anyone will want a wheeled HWP?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
I see, thanks ^_^ I'll get beck to it, I'm almost done with my armor systems.
Think anyone will want a wheeled HWP?

Yes! :)

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
instead of making ed-209 ,wich is law enforcement unit, make ED-309 that is Military purpose droid thus more suitable to xcom? :>  https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JGgzOkYhIb0/TUFehjYY-AI/AAAAAAAAICo/iQthmLCSZvQ/s1600/ed-309.jpg