aliens

Author Topic: Random Geoscape  (Read 4290 times)

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
Random Geoscape
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »
Is it possible to randomize the geoscape map maybe like the "civilization" so the map can be generated like desert planet, Ice planet, Or barren planet. Because some people will do same strategy over and over again like build first base in central asia second base in USA. Also this will make more variety of the map like 60% desert, 20% jungle, 10% snow, 10% others. So the first base they usually surrounded by hill or jungle or something will be different.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Random Geoscape
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:20 pm »
Hmm, I normally just build in Europe because it covers lots of funding countries, not because of the farmland map crashes.

I wouldn't say any map is easy/hard except for the glacier maps which can be easy/hard depending on how much firepower you have and who you are against as there isn't any cover.

When comparing any of the other map types I wouldn't really say I prefer one or the other, they all have their quirks but I have never decided to ignore a crashed UFO because of the map type that will be generated. Pretty much the only time I might avoid a mission is an early terror mission before I have lasers because if it's sectoids it means cyberdisks and cyberdisks mean lots of dead soldiers.

Offline CoolKid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:06:29 pm »
Hmm, I normally just build in Europe because it covers lots of funding countries

That's one of the reason random world would be interesting. And of course random nation too.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:48 pm »
I really like this idea too. Random worlds. You'll have to go hunting to find an area that covers the most nations. I bet people would restart when they can't find a good area.

If this is made, you can add an option to make the game harder, random world and the game decides where your base will be.

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Random world concept has been made in XcomUtil and it works well in OpenXcom with patched globe. Evidence can be found for example in this message (I've used geoscape map from patched TFTD version, but you can do the same with land mass). We would need random globe generator and it will work.

Offline Angelus_EV

• Colonel
  • Trust no one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:39 pm »
Cool idea but the globe isn't a pre rendered in base a "map?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:59:32 pm »
no, the globe is actually a mass of triangles defined in globe.dat and is very editable - although randomizing it in a decent way would require some coding (unless you want to end up with lots of random triangular pieces of terrain).

it has already been proposed to allow for events in-game to actually change the globe, but that is very far from possible, afaik.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 01:16:00 am »
it has already been proposed to allow for events in-game to actually change the globe, but that is very far from possible, afaik.

And you had to mention it >< now I'm gonna be thinking about it...