aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 758387 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.g - 24 Apr - Crewed fighters
« Reply #1125 on: April 30, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »
Uh, regarding improvement on hammers - here's the ultimate version:

:P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1126 on: April 30, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »
You got me wrong, Psi Str improvement allowed you to MC Star Gods and easily soak their own attacks, which is a major problem otherwise (and not every other enemy is controllable even with 66 VStr/56 Vskill... but trivially so with 100 VStr). Even the Academy is able to put a dent on your plans if you have psi-untrained soldiers below 50 VStr. The Dark Ones in comparison are controllable even without that cheat, when only you get decent VooDoo users.

Afaik the Blaster impotency is directly linked with the fact it is a homing weapon; an AP round would certainly make the AI a bit more comfortable with using it, but for this, I have another weapon planned :)

I'll think about spear yet, better spear is planned at some point anyway.

Humanists are supposed to be quite rare, and you don't need them for scientific progress at all (a couple of second-rate side techs, yeah, but they're pretty much useless in advancing the main tree). They have their own mission + Pogrom, and quite possibly another mission in the future, and that's enough.

Like I said before, I might add govt 'right sector' Pogrom missions, and I can control them to only happen, say, from Fall 2601 onwards, but I'm not a fan of lose-lose missions, to be honest (such govt op would be using only low-negative, or neutral-score units). That's why I hated how XCom 2012 ended. High difficulty is fine, dirty tricks are even better, but forcing you to go on a lose-lose mission is not what I want. At least when the govt makes a Crackdown, you may lose a lot of points but you come out much, much richer. Plus I'm not fabled firaxis, I don't have the "We Are Legendary Gaming Company" crap to defend my design decisions, I have to be more careful.

I haven't played Long War (the basic campaign did a good work of putting me off) but various traps (trap ships, trap missions & trap enemies) were planned in this mod for a long time... just not implemented yet. I feel more encouraged to do so now :)

What kind of official missions would you expect the Probe to run? Star Gods spying on themselves? What kind of sense would that make? :)

I will add some more world lore in the future, and I will remember your question about orbital infrastructure.

Blackmarch SMG is too weak for such a Contact to make sense. Unless there will be more Blackmarch weapons to use, which isn't out of the question.

Note that in every ammo type description, there is some sort of vague reasoning why only select weapons can benefit from it. For example, BM SMG is not a high-velocity AP weapon and would not benefit from more rigid ammo. Of course you can always say it's load of BS, but it is there. Basically there is no point in adding special ammo which is *never* going to be used (you could have MAG ammo for Assault Pistol, but you'll be only using the Eagle anyway, since the damage difference would be too dramatic to even consider using Assault Pistol). Plus, the fact that each gun can only use 1 or 2 of about 5 existing types of special ammo makes each weapon more unique.

Melee combat is naturally an integral part of this mod and I'm not saying it is bad or anything :) It will be curbed a bit in Piratez Extended - the damage bonus will be closer to 0.5-0.75 Strength score instead of full Strength, and melee attacks will cost some stamina (Imp Wand will be tied to Psi Str instead, and all psi attacks will cost considerable amounts of Stamina). Speaking of Piratez Extended:

At some point I will drop support for basic Piratez and base the mod on Yankes' custom OXCom build. Some of the features that will be enabled by this:

Craft Combat
- Up to 4 weapons per craft
- Varied weapon slots. Ex. fighters will usually carry 2 missile weapons and 1 small cannon, while Bonaventura 2 small & 2 large cannons, etc.
- Non-weapon craft equippables, like extra fuel tanks, improved radars, shields & more.

Night Operations
- Custom night/day vision. Some armors will allow to see in the dark. Not all enemies will be able to see in the dark. Merc Engineers will snipe you from beyond your FoV.

Psi balance
- MC and Panic attacks of your soldiers will have severe range limit (probably 16 tiles).
- Psi attacks will cost a lot of stamina.
- There will be damage-dealing weapons with power based on your VooDoo stats, like Imp Wand.

Fun weapons
- Damage and Acc of some weapons based on exotic stats like Throwing (ex. Fuso Knives are useless now, but in Extended, a maxed-out Throwing Skill soldier will be able to do 100 or so damage with them and strike with unerring accuracy - while they will be even more useless than now for an untalented soldier).
- Fire damage will cause severe Morale losses.

Mecha suits
- No X-Sectopods. They will be replaced with 2x2 armor suits WORN by soldiers, and equipped with custom weapons.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 30, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
I think the whole idea with the probe, was to use it as an 'excuse' of a ufo to follow up and actually find out the hideouts/bases/whatever it is those factions operate without having to add another base raid mission on the map. The stargods (as far as I progressed) have no presence and installations on earth, they only make rare appereances personally.

The 'problem' with melee, is that it is an answer to early problem. That is the lack of good weapons and ammo. Once you get your operations up and running and secure a supply of good munitions, via varius means ranged combat becomes again a priority. That is not to say that you forgoe melee all together, but if the enemy carries top notch gear, and you try to close the distance without reloads....yeah thats gonna end badly.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:12:03 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 30, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »
Hi Dioxine,

Props for the awesome work! I had tried your mod once but gave up after a crash, but Ivan's LP convinced me that I needed to play it. I will just have to remember to treat it sort of like my mod and save often enough to not get screwed if something crashes.

I wanted to check if it is ok to run Piratez on the latest nightly. I know the mod site says 31st of March or Later, but just in case something broke recently.

Thanks!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1129 on: April 30, 2015, 06:44:08 pm »
Well then try it and bring back the news :) Also using 15 Apr or later should fix the explosives-related AI dumbness as it has been finally unhardcoded. Just don't come crying when you get blown up on Turn 1, it's As Designed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:52:39 pm by Dioxine »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1130 on: April 30, 2015, 06:54:48 pm »

I wanted to check if it is ok to run Piratez on the latest nightly. I know the mod site says 31st of March or Later, but just in case something broke recently.

I'm running it with the 4/7 nightly with out a problem, (its not on the git builds right now, but I do also have a link here in the thread to a copy of the 3/31 nightly if you want to download it. :)

Cheers!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1131 on: April 30, 2015, 07:06:21 pm »
Found one thing, 15th Apr or later will f**ck up your tanks. I will fix this in 0.9.h release.

EDIT: tanks & boomosauria fixed, but looks like it wrecks Mercenary Commando worse. I need research if such a crazy idea is still possible under the new builds.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:21:34 pm by Dioxine »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1132 on: April 30, 2015, 07:45:42 pm »
Per my previous comment, here is the link again for the 3/31/ nightly (it was about 6 pages back)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LA7DXD41YYaUF5UWJtOEFjLWs/view?usp=sharing

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline eatthepath

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 30, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »
Alright, I'm using the latest build (just pulled from github this morning) so I'll report bugs as I find them.

Not too worried about the tanks as I barely use them.

Side note: Is there a way to make statstrings with melee skill? I tried "melee: [50, 70]" but it does not work.. For Piratez, that's a pretty important stat!

PS. The names! The names! I don't know how you manage it but.. My first crew has "Shameless Nipple" and "Burning Pants".. Now I've got a gal who can't wear armor and I already know who will have the flamethrower!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:54:08 pm by Arthanor »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1135 on: April 30, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »

Side note: Is there a way to make statstrings with melee skill? I tried "melee: [50, 70]" but it does not work.. For Piratez, that's a pretty important stat!

Currently no. :(  I manually put it in on my soldiers ("K" for knife)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1136 on: April 30, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »
@eatthepath: it's a terrain issue - but I have no idea which terrain out of about a dozen possibilities might be causing that. Requires a lot of blind testing. I will fix this, eventually.

@Arthanor: it ain't my fault, all glory to the Gods of Random :)

@Ivan: I thought "K" was for "Killy" :)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »
Speaking of bugs heres one I just found:

The stairs/floor of the bony dont block fire completely. I just got reaction fired and took the damage from a gauss weapon on the back when my gal stepped on the first step. The round passed through it as if it didnt exist.

Heres the save just move the gal with hammer on the first step ahead of her. You will get reaction fired once by a plasma gunner and then by the gauss behind.
Sometimes the damage passes through, others the armor absorbes it, reload as nessessary. Point is the projectile shouldnt get through the floor/stair.

PS. The names! The names! I don't know how you manage it but.. My first crew has "Shameless Nipple" and "Burning Pans".. Now I've got a gal who can't wear armor and I already know who will have the flamethrower!

And I thought "sneezing ass" was funny.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:01:21 pm by pilot00 »

Offline icefox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 30, 2015, 09:00:26 pm »
Hey, I ran into a bug, but not sure if it's a bug with this mod or OXcom.  Don't remember exactly how it went, but I had just built a new base and had bought a bunch of gear and shipped more over to it, which filled up all its storage.  I got the "Fence your stuff away!" popup screen like you get when you overflow your storage with loot from a mission, but there was nothing in it, and I could not exit out of it.  Had to quit the game and reload.  I THINK there was some strange interaction that made it say "Oh you're filling up this base's stores too much" even when the base had no gear in it yet.  Tried to reproduce it in a test game and couldn't, though.

Edit: So far my the best/worst name I'd gotten was probably Pussy Fingers...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:06:38 pm by icefox »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1139 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:56 pm »
@Pilot00
That's Lightning tileset bug, the stairs have (and always had) a hole in it. I could fix this but the mod would have to have a custom Lightning tileset.

@Icefox
No idea, I haven't made any changes to the game code. Try to reproduce this bug on vanilla, bugreport it. First of all, you shouldn't be even allowed to transfer enough stuff to overflow the stores.