Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 761084 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.g - 24 Apr - Crewed fighters
« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:48 am »
Also I, uh, wrote a thing, so I might as well post it here: https://wiki.alopex.li/TheBattleForBooze .  It'll give you a security certificate warning, just click on through it.

I'm only halfway through reading it ... and it is EPIC!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Would you mind posting it as a FanFic in the Playthroughs forum?? ;)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline eatthepath

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:23 am »
Went to respond to https://i.imgur.com/JWDFsWi.png this small ufo, got the message "Map generator encountered an error: No alien units could be placed on map". Turned on the savescumming to get there anyway, and https://i.imgur.com/iSxnjSo.png is the terrain I'm on when I hit the ground.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 29, 2015, 05:05:27 pm »
My head hurts from all those research brances.

Seriously man how do you keep track of these?

Impressive job though, I like your late game clip ideas, improves even the shities weapon in the game.

Offline Edrick

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 29, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »
The Battle For Booze is the best thing I've read in a very, very long while. Keep up with that awesome stuff!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1114 on: April 29, 2015, 05:26:55 pm »
The Battle For Booze is the best thing I've read in a very, very long while. Keep up with that awesome stuff!

+1  Totally Agree!

Also: The "Smoke All the Things" tactic is pretty sweet!!   Passively dropping unarmored enemies rocks!  Just sayin!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »
Hmm... I've been thinking...

I'm wondering about upgrading campaigns in progress and the likelihood of research idiosynchrasies occurring.  One example is the "Quad Launcher" showing up in the Bootypedia during my current LP, when I did no research for it.  I'm not sure of the dependency and if it could have been popped by a G.O. but it seems a little surprising.  Likewise, I've recently spotted a "spikeball" that references a "Wang" that I'm pretty sure I haven't researched directly, etc.

Is there anything I should be doing to manually edit my saves after I upgrade to ensure that I don't get "freebies"?

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2015, 07:16:21 pm »
@Icefox
Wow, somebody wrote a fanfic for my work. It's really cool :)
Also, the psi will be curbed in Piratez Extended. Right now it's just plain OP, as it was designed for vanilla. They will still go down pretty easily... but you'll have to get close.

@Eatthepath
I haven't been able to replicate that 'cannot place units' Hopper crash although I've heard some other modders have a problem with that too... Maybe a save will help?

@pilot
Nah they're more like, mid-game clips at best. Late game you're totting plasma and other energy weapons.

@Ivan
This one was just an accident (a Pedia entry with commented-out requirements), it has been fixed for the newest version. Don't worry too much, I'm keeping my hands off the research tree recently (mostly because the basic structure is finished, and there are only new avenues planned, not any changes to that structure), and even if something leaks out, the research/manufacture tree won't break. And no, you don't have anything you're not supposed to have afaik, everything you have researched so far is WAI (you got that Cooking by the Book opened by the Engineer interrogation) :)

In general, I'd advise you 2 things:
- Don't cancel item research once started, you're losing items that way, they're not refunded (if you have to, edit them back into the save).
- I think melee-only approach only works for heavy-savescumming game. The destructive potential of melee is unmatched, yet often you'll get into no-win scenarios when rushing headlong, like previously unspotted extra enemies or unexpectedly painful reaction fire.

Offline eatthepath

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:01 pm »
I have a save file that reliably produces the crash so long as the savescumming option is turned off. I'd be happy to provide it, but I have no idea were OX keeps it's saves.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1118 on: April 29, 2015, 08:52:42 pm »
Saves are in the \user\ folder.

On most windows computers this is in
\MyDocuments\openxcom\

Offline icefox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 29, 2015, 10:16:41 pm »
- I think melee-only approach only works for heavy-savescumming game. The destructive potential of melee is unmatched, yet often you'll get into no-win scenarios when rushing headlong, like previously unspotted extra enemies or unexpectedly painful reaction fire.

Possibly.  There are things you can do to minimize the danger, which basically amounts to "don't take chances", much like playing the Long War mod for XCom Enemy Within.  Spot an enemy and want to nab him in melee?  Send a scout forward to make sure there's nothing behind them, then have them either run back into safety or pop smoke.  Stage your strike team of 2-4 heavy hitters around a corner near the target.  Wait a turn; honestly, the AI is pretty darn dumb, and the chances they'll wander around the corner and shoot you in the face is low.  Even if they do, they're hitting your front armor, so your odds are decent.  Now that everyone is in place, peek around the corner to make sure they're still within reach, which is usually the case as they seldom wander that far.  Dash out and sword them in the back.

It's hardly foolproof, but boy is it fun.  Even better is when your team is on the other side of a wall, and you sledgehammer through it to ambush someone Kool-Aid Man style.  And of course it can still lead to horrible screw-ups, which is where even more fun happens.  One of the awesome things about PirateZ is it gives you a million and one tools to creatively solve the problems you've gotten yourself into, if only you're crazy enough to use them.  I will have to try a less save-scummy game on a harder difficulty sometime now that I have some clue what I'm doing, and see how it works out.

Of course this only works on maps with corners... the first few merc missions were really painful partially 'cause there were a million of them, on a wide open map, and they're pretty good shots and have good reactions.  Melee really isn't the right tool for that job.  Then I got nuclear lasers and ended up in a similar mission, and cackled gleefully as I mowed all the bastards down.  (Might want to check out the numbers for the Scorchy laser pistol; it always says it has a 40-50% chance to hit, but I don't think I've ever missed a single shot with one.  Anyone else notice this?  I'll do more testing.)

Thanks for all the kind words on the writing!  Any suggestions and/or critiques are welcome, I'll throw it into the fanfic forum when I get the chance..  It's kind of an amalgam of several base defense missions, and has some artistic license --the missions I did were all rookies, but I wanted an experienced hand in the story to contrast "lightning-fast, heavily-armored death machine that slits three guys up without breaking a sweat" versus "rookie who might land a grenade sort of close enough to hurt something maybe".

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 30, 2015, 01:37:51 am »
Dioxine -  Finaly finished the Images for Body 02

As before feel free to add them to the mod

To install them, just unzip them into data\Resources\Piratez\Body_2

Still working on the others.

Also I have started working an alternate images for most of the other armours - I'll Email them to you as I finish them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:26:40 am by Roxis231 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1121 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:11 am »
Icefox, put the story on fanfiction.net and I'll certainly fav you and spread the word! :) (shameless promotion)

Regarding the armours, I think it'd be nice the have helmet-on versions in the inventory and the helmet-off in the Ufopaedia.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 30, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »
Icefox, put the story on fanfiction.net and I'll certainly fav you and spread the word! :) (shameless promotion)

Regarding the armours, I think it'd be nice the have helmet-on versions in the inventory and the helmet-off in the Ufopaedia.

Solarius I run a cursury look (work now) and  this is amazing, is the site your doing?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1123 on: April 30, 2015, 01:54:44 pm »
Solarius I run a cursury look (work now) and  this is amazing, is the site your doing?

Oh God no, it's AFAIK the biggest fanfic site out there. :) I just happen to be a member, and wrote a number of (mostly lewd) stories. That's also where I learned about Hobbes years before we met him here, he published an X-Com novel callen Unknown Menace which is just plain gold. Dioxine is there too with a couple good stories.

Offline Talhydras

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 30, 2015, 02:21:59 pm »
Hey, I punched each of those imps fair and square to get my superpowered wands! Psi strength improvement went totally unused during the crafting of my strategic wand stockpile. Part of the reason I suggested strengthening Imp fireballs or adding a str-based melee to the imps was that once I had good armor, I could take however long I needed to punch them down and the real challenge was making sure they didn't wake up and wander off as I swept the map. And making sure that there wasn't a pinky demon hanging around, those things can chew right through top drawer armor.

Shame about the explosives impotency issues. Would reducing blast radius, or introducing a 200-piercing guided sabot round for the blaster launcher make it easier for the AI to handle? Additionally, shame about the AI not being able to handle widespread flamers.

The shipping bootypedia entry on the Imperial Probe was crystal clear, it was just odd that I never saw any missions officially run by the Star God faction using that ship. Just seemed to be a gameplay/story disjoint.

Spear piercing was largely a verisimilitude suggestion. If this would devalue the spear as a melee weapon due to increased availability of piercing resistant armor, I guess I'd suggest upping a pierce-spear's damage to compensate. If the spear's in an ideal place right now in terms of balance, by all means leave it be. A strength-adding alloy lance might be fun, but in general I'm a sucker for polearms because I think they look cool.

I can appreciate that with all the factions there currently are (and the need to capture specific units to progress technologically) giving the Humanists more missions would increase the RNG effects. Humanist Bombing/Pacification missions simply seemed to fit their MO.

I've been playing a lot of the Long War mod for XCom 2012, and I'm not entirely sure there'd be a riot over lose-lose terror missions. Broadly speaking, Long War reworked terror missions to always lower your score-analogue, your forces are there only to mitigate damage. As long as Gov't pogroms were explicitly disallowed in the starting two or three months I don't think it could do significant campaign damage. As with the proposed Humanist Bombing missions, though, Gov't pogroms would reduce the number of chances to snag tech-tree critical captures like the engineers, academy medic and esper, etc. Siiiiigh. But it'd be fun and a nice change of pace! Even now I'm wondering if stunning all the gov't terrorists, grabbing all their stuff, and aborting would be the way to maximally profit for minimum score hit...

On that same subject, the LW mod introduces "Trap" missions. Can't take credit for that suggestion, and again just like with the terror missions - the playerbase has adjusted to their existence. I have faith that Piratez players would be able to handle it, but I'm optimistic by nature. The explanation for hypothetical Piratez traps would be simple: "They figured out you're using a hyperwave decoder and laid a trap for you, handle it". It's no different than a first month base assault in terms of "unfair to the player" IMO. Both the landed trap and the aerial Q-ship suggestions were aimed at reducing a sense of complacency and safety that developed once I got advanced armor up, and the noninteractible swarms of Heavy Gunships flying around on Crackdown missions.

I was mentioning satellites mostly out of lore curiosity. There's tons of information in the Bootypedia about what's going on on the surface of Imperial Earth, and much less about whether or not there's anything in orbit. I can imagine orbital factories, or even housing for the elites of the various factions. The Solar Governor bootypedia entry describes Faction facilities on the surface of Mars, but I have no idea if there's a thick layer of surveillance and military satellites, or if Earth's orbit is a relative wasteland.

I don't doubt that hammers are amazing, just as with the spear suggestions this was coming more from a logic/progression point of view. I can imagine a hammer being improved by being made out of sturdier materials, for example, and there's many many improvements to the one-hand melee weapons (longsword, techblade, electro sword, wolverine claws, force blades, the demon weapons, etc) and there's no improvements to the hammers. It seemed like an area with no progression, which feels weird in a game with head-crushing depth to its tech tree. Plus, Discs-o-Death on my synthsuited pirates was basically a range-11 hammer anyways...

Hm. I can see how using ammo to rotate which slughtrowers are in vogue works. My suggestions for more MAG and other ammos was generally from a consistency POV - in-universe, I can't think of any reason why PS blackmarch SMG magazines can't be manufactured, or why MAG or improved HE rounds can't be made for the CAWS. ...Actually, one thing that might be interesting is Contacts: Blackmarch being required to manufacture advanced Blackmarch SMG ammunition, representing developing improved contacts with the manufacturers and getting their insight on improved ammos. Hah! I'll bet they'd be interested in buying those blueprints from the Pirates for a pretty penny too...

I look forward to Piratez Extended!  What, uh, what is Piratez Extended?

I personally found melee an expedient solution to most problems. In the earlygame I did a lot of handcannon + cutlass/axe, then in the midgame I had a smokey-armored lasrifle sniper and RPG launcher that did tons of useful work, as well as a soldier with a Confederate Eagle. I added on a Custom Snipin' Gun sniper too, so by no means was I completely gun-free. By then my rank and file hand was dualwielding a stunrod and a techblade. There were a couple of reasons for this: I needed to be in melee range to stun people, and I needed to stun people to advance my technology and economy. Adding a techblade gave me a lethal option. A ton of my early and midgame missions were pogroms, and most pogroms have urban terrain that makes melee combat way more practical. Power armored Trader Bodyguards make melee almost necessary! There were several months that were literally pogrom -> one UFO -> pogrom and that was it, so I think it's unfair to blame my evolution towards melee solely on my scummy behavior. Terrain, tech-tree paths, bad judgment, and a high number of strong starting rookies all led me towards that composition.

I was also afraid of running out of nuclear laser clips so I was super shy about adopting laser weapons. This turned out to be pretty foolish in the long run, but that fear also pushed me towards the techblade as my source of a reliable kill. By the lategame, the stunrod got replaced with knucks, and the techblade got replaced with the Disc o' Death, and right before the end I replaced the knucks with Imp Wands which on high strength troopers is basically a plasma rifle/super knucks combo.