aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 749933 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.g - 24 Apr - Crewed fighters
« Reply #1065 on: April 24, 2015, 05:11:46 pm »
Question: Is there a reason why we cant manufacture (after the appropriate research) all shotgun type ammo? I thought making rifle clips is far more complicated than making shotgun shells. And since you can manufacture certain shells (including some really exotic stuff), it seems a little bit oxymoron that you cant manufacture the base ammo.

EDIT: After seeing certain warhammer references in the game PLZ PLZ tell me you have (or plan to add) a researchable end game thunder....erhm I mean elerium powered hammer  8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:13:33 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1066 on: April 24, 2015, 05:36:17 pm »
Why would you manufacture buyable ammo?

And yeah there are loose plans for such a weapon, but we needs a Terminator armor first... :P

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:42 pm »
Why would you manufacture buyable ammo?

And yeah there are loose plans for such a weapon, but we needs a Terminator armor first... :P

Same reason you do for the flintlocks me thinks, costs reduction. But its not a problem really just thought Id ask.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1068 on: April 24, 2015, 07:20:40 pm »
Let's say I don't want to lose my time (AND clutter the manufacture lists) for the odd chance that someone wants to waste workshop time & produce useless ammunition that can be bought quite cheaply anyway :P

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 24, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »
Let's say I don't want to lose my time (AND clutter the manufacture lists) for the odd chance that someone wants to waste workshop time & produce useless ammunition that can be bought quite cheaply anyway :P

As I said np, I just wanted to ask.

Cheers.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 24, 2015, 11:02:58 pm »
I like the diverse melee weapons in this mod, but it feels a bit strange that there are some weapons which do not rely on the melee ability of the wielder. Probably this is a design choice to diversify the arsenal more to have an extra characteristic besides damage amount, damage type, accuracy, strength bonus, weight, size, price.
Its just a small thing, but I think it would be better if all melee weapons should depend on the skill. In comparison, there are also no ranged weapons which do not rely on accuracy.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1071 on: April 24, 2015, 11:33:31 pm »
I have to work with the framework the engine provides. Once the mod moves onto the Extended platform, it will be possible to make weapons which rely on the melee skill in a varying degree. Then, all weapons will rely on the melee skill, but some weapons will rely on it more than the others (and same will be true for some ranged weapons; it will be possible to tie accuracy to ANY skill or combination of skills). As for now, only a binary choice is possible. Therefore, some weapons have been abstracted as "not relying on the skill"; in reality, it should be rather read as "for the melee skill range available to these warriors, chances to hit with such an unrefined weapon don't vary too much".

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1072 on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:49 pm »
I like the diverse melee weapons in this mod, but it feels a bit strange that there are some weapons which do not rely on the melee ability of the wielder. Probably this is a design choice to diversify the arsenal more to have an extra characteristic besides damage amount, damage type, accuracy, strength bonus, weight, size, price.
Its just a small thing, but I think it would be better if all melee weapons should depend on the skill. In comparison, there are also no ranged weapons which do not rely on accuracy.

I think the melee balance is amazing.

From my cheat sheet:

(K in the "Good for:" column indicates melee ability)

The fact that there are some weapons that don't require melee means that all your troopers can have some chance at being dangerous early on.  I wouldn't change a thing. :)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 25, 2015, 12:13:45 am »
I have to work with the framework the engine provides. Once the mod moves onto the Extended platform, it will be possible to make weapons which rely on the melee skill in a varying degree. Then, all weapons will rely on the melee skill, but some weapons will rely on it more than the others (and same will be true for some ranged weapons; it will be possible to tie accuracy to ANY skill or combination of skills). As for now, only a binary choice is possible. Therefore, some weapons have been abstracted as "not relying on the skill"; in reality, it should be rather read as "for the melee skill range available to these warriors, chances to hit with such an unrefined weapon don't vary too much".

Yeah, the extended version is surely a great for even more detailed weapon stats.  ;D

One other suggestion
The changed borders and countries on the globe are really good to distinguish the mod from vanilla. I think some kind of terrain change on the globe would be also good. A lot can happen in 600 years alien occupation: maybe something like
- nuclear winter (larger areas of ice, larger continents)
- global warming (more desert areas, smaller continents)
- large wastes in some areas (more desrt, steppe)
- massive vulcanism (additional mountains or islands)   

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 25, 2015, 12:31:11 am »
Yeah, the extended version is surely a great for even more detailed weapon stats.  ;D

One other suggestion
The changed borders and countries on the globe are really good to distinguish the mod from vanilla. I think some kind of terrain change on the globe would be also good. A lot can happen in 600 years alien occupation: maybe something like
- nuclear winter (larger areas of ice, larger continents)
- global warming (more desert areas, smaller continents)
- large wastes in some areas (more desrt, steppe)
- massive vulcanism (additional mountains or islands)

I was thinking about this too, but (and without knowing for sure) I belive that for better or worse we are stuck with it, cause of the game engine.
If not, another idea of mine would be to use the terror from the deep palet. Its harsher and given the state of the world (pollution,destruction, mutants etc) the yellowish tint would fit better IMHO. But I doubt its possible.

I think the melee balance is amazing.

I think all the balance swinges Dioxine did are amazing. In X-Com (except in the heavily moded version of Solarius) you pretty much had one set of weapons and a few extras for each phase of the game (early mid late). I never ever thought I would be playing X-com and my soldiers would be carrying three types of different granades just to keep my rear covered. And thats just an example.

BTW Dioxine another question:

I researched the smartpistol and I was wondering if the "augmented" munitions do the same damage as normal ones on purpose, bootypedia mistake, or oversight (I know about the secondary effect, I just wander if its all there is or not).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 12:33:14 am by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1075 on: April 25, 2015, 01:20:01 am »
Yeah having a modified globe would be great, I agree. Any volunteers to do it? :)

About the "augmented" pistol ammo: yeah no extra damage there. Bootypedia can't be wrong on that since the number is taken directly from weapon stats (and thank God for that). Bigger damage would be contradictory with what the Pedia says on the PS ammo (good for high-velocity piercing ammo because the projectile is tighter, but not much effect on low-velocity 'bludgeoning' ammo since it isn't really more dense/plastic).

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 25, 2015, 01:35:09 am »
Yeah having a modified globe would be great, I agree. Any volunteers to do it? :)

About the "augmented" pistol ammo: yeah no extra damage there. Bootypedia can't be wrong on that since the number is taken directly from weapon stats (and thank God for that). Bigger damage would be contradictory with what the Pedia says on the PS ammo (good for high-velocity piercing ammo because the projectile is tighter, but not much effect on low-velocity 'bludgeoning' ammo since it isn't really more dense/plastic).

Ah cool, didnt knew the pedia is linked directly to the values of the weapons.

BTW I just met the mercenaries (according to the stunned corpse) and man....what have you created in there? My gals are holed up inside the bony and a couple farm houses, under siege pissing their pants...Scary stuff...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1077 on: April 25, 2015, 02:34:47 am »
If you don't have two or four Heavy Lasers, better run :P

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 25, 2015, 04:08:35 am »
If you don't have two or four Heavy Lasers, better run :P
I'm remember the early game it was a hire and fire towards girls strong enough to carry a hammer. Then rush and gang upon one Merc at the time. The RPGs were crucial to deal with their tanks. At the beginning there was not enough heavy laser ammo available for a sustained campaign. It is not without saying the WIA and KIAs numbers were high.

Now Voodoo, Electro-whip and Heavy plasma dominate the game.

Do you happen to have in your do-to list to enable the repair of expensive armor from fallen gals at the workshop? I'd love to rebuilt one of my expensive Annihilator suits for the time a gal get killed.  :P

Now to test version 0.9g !

EDIT:
Spoiler:
By the way, is the X-sectopod allowed to be manufactured without a Sectopod carcass?

EDIT2: I also got this on a terror mission:
"Map block is not the size specified MAPS/AREA51BASE80.MAP is 20x20, expected 10x10"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:45:42 am by Alex_D »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 25, 2015, 01:31:43 pm »
I'm remember the early game it was a hire and fire towards girls strong enough to carry a hammer. Then rush and gang upon one Merc at the time. The RPGs were crucial to deal with their tanks. At the beginning there was not enough heavy laser ammo available for a sustained campaign. It is not without saying the WIA and KIAs numbers were high.

Now Voodoo, Electro-whip and Heavy plasma dominate the game.

I am not deep enough into the game for those, I am scratching them though. Ill try the lazers tactic I have 9 heavies. But their tanks are immune to RPGs sort of.