Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 750150 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »
Oh, the reception was a lot more... warm... than I would expect, so I'm not complaining!

As for the design, it boils down to: I do as I f*cking please. I'd make male soldiers but... It means double amount of work with painting armors, besides, OpenXcom does not support more than 8 soldier variants (OR non-standard naming syntax), and this is barely enough for just the girls :) But THERE WILL BE PANTS, eventually!

New version is up and instructions are now COLOR-CODED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:47:34 pm by Dioxine »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 06:05:09 pm »
Shame on Jadestar for not reading installation instructions and than wondering like a stoned person why female soldiers have male names :)
Jade is the key reason I have been foolproofing OpenXcom so much, you can't expect users to read anything. :P (which also makes him exceptionally good at breaking stuff nobody else would)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2014, 12:13:49 am »
Then I'm really happy my mod more or less survived the confrontation :)

EDIT: Also it shows clearly that SOMEONE forgot that soldier names should be a part of the ruleset OR config too :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:21:46 am by Dioxine »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 06:51:04 pm »
Watched the whole live-stream. Your mod is very impressive!! I enjoyed the whole thing, I can't wait for you to finish, Dioxine!! I liked the idea they brought up that you can loot a few enemies and bug out if you're coming up against heavy resistance, especially those government forces.

I also believe Looting and manufacturing for all your needs should be a big Piratez theme. Pirates don't buy stuff, do they? Only if they must, but they'll be like the Orcs in Warhammer if I remember correctly, just build it from scraps.

I also have suggestions:
Instead of having the nations of the world pay you from the beginning. Start with zero, except the one nation that holds your initial base.
Allow the hands to be free, since they come from the slums and "forget the money, the action is the juice" as they say.
Raise prices of everything to make manufacturing the way to go. Makes sense for a dystopian world, since armaments will be very difficult to attain. Pre-War armory should still be a bit costly.
Loot dead bodies for manufacturing to let your Aunts combine a number of broken armors into one complete armor piece.
Looting anything and everything in buildings and bodies would be your way to making money before the nations begin to fear you for your violence.
Add more unarmed civilians in crash-sites so you can gain infamy quickly by shooting them.
I like this one: Taking unconscious civilians with you whether you carry them back and escape or beat the mission, you'll get some extra money at the your booty debriefing per hostage.
That said, add a melee knock out hit option to knock out an enemy with any weapon you're holding.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:53:13 pm by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:49 pm »
I also have suggestions:

Q. Instead of having the nations of the world pay you from the beginning. Start with zero...
A. Almost impossible in the current ruleset. The funding can and will be further reduced after I get to the fine-tuning phase, but you can't bring it down to zero, since you HAVE TO PAY MAINTENANCE and SALARIES from the (hidden) January funding, and your balance are the leftovers... Setting that to 0 (or rather, a very small value, since 0 is hard-gay impossible) would instantly put you in negatives... I wouldn't want to bereft the player of a chance to build a facility or 2 on the Day One too, a true Commander wants to make important Command Decisions like these!

Q. ...Except the one nation that holds your initial base.
A. Good idea but Impossible in the current ruleset and I doubt it ever will be.

Q. Allow the hands to be free, since they come from the slums and "forget the money, the action is the juice" as they say.
A. Nah, let's don't get ridiculous, they're in for fun AND profit; they were street urchins but now they're a part of a legitimate business operation and the godfather ought to show them some respect! Your suggestion would make more sense if the salary could be customed to Rank.... They're already cheaper than in X-Com. I Might consider lowering the cost further but at the price of increasing the Living Quarters maintenance OR lowering capacity (and introducing premium Living Quarters types for later).

Q. Raise prices of everything to make manufacturing the way to go. Makes sense for a dystopian world, since armaments will be very difficult to attain. Pre-War armory should still be a bit costly.
A. Agreed. Still, I'd have to balance the aircraft maintenance and aircraft weapons costs accordingly... I don't want a ridiculous situation where fully outfitting a combat vessel costs as much as buying a Rifle... Maybe if there was some way to introduce more kinds of "drops" (like craft ammo)... I'm also toying with the idea of your ship having a shitty, unlimited-ammo lascannon as a backup weapon for the times when you don't have cash for expensive craft ammo...
To put it in the perspective, just maintaining the starting base costs 30k/day... which is more than any infantry weapon you can buy right now... So yeah, balancing! Balancing!
Also I had an idea that the Black Market would be divided into parts and you'd have to pay helluva money upfront to get the opportunity to buy better weapons. Say, like you start with the John Goodman's Hardware Shop, then advance to Mutant Alliance Supplies, then to Crazy Hassan's Weapons Emporium, then to Eurosyndicate Market and so on. That way the guns themselves may stay comparatively inexpensive, but would require a huge starting investment.

Q. Loot dead bodies for manufacturing to let your Aunts combine a number of broken armors into one complete armor piece.
A. It's RUNTS and this feature is fully implemented since pre-0.5 :) Most manufacturable armors and a plethora of other stuff depends on the steady supply of bodies, I mean Booty :) Remember when the guys said you probably can't loot a power armor? WELL YOU CAN. Of course this idea can be further expanded. I fully agree with the prime focus on manufacturing here.

Q. Looting anything and everything in buildings and bodies would be your way to making money before the nations begin to fear you for your violence.
A: Agreed on principle, requires a lot of fine-tuning though! Might start by decreasing the point values of both your gains and losses...

Q:Add more unarmed civilians in crash-sites so you can gain infamy quickly by shooting them.
A: Yeah but the infamy is a political Aikido. You can't be TOO evil or the nations would make a crackdown on you. So I think shooting unarmed civilians (as opposed to shooting, say, the Traders who are competition to the nations) would decrease the 'infamy'. You need to be a bit of a Robin Hood with this.

Q: I like this one: Taking unconscious civilians with you whether you carry them back and escape or beat the mission, you'll get some extra money at the your booty debriefing per hostage.
A: Yeah, agreed. Selling hostages is already a very profitable source of income in this mod...

Q: That said, add a melee knock out hit option to knock out an enemy with any weapon you're holding.
A: Impossible until Open X-Com gurus introduce such an option into the ruleset. Take goddamned clubs, they weigh 3 units, are 2x1 and can down most guys (even Personal-Armored) in a few hits. Man you START with three different stun weapons in this mod... :)

Many thanks for your feedback!

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 04:41:13 am »
Is it actually possible to replace the background images to match the Piratez theme or are they hardcoded?
Also I think a new intro would be awesome - don't we have anyone who can do this?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 10:25:27 am »
I'm working on the backgrounds, it ain't easy though :)
I need to generate more content, then I'll make a major overhaul with stuff being hard to buy and more manufacturing-oriented model...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:38:54 am by Dioxine »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »
Thank for the very detailed reply. This mod is going to be so good when you're finished with it. I can see it being all over the gaming blogs and OXC will get noticed thanks to Piratez!

Here's a few more I'll throw in:
You should count your own armored dead as loot for manufacturing.

Also love the idea of the Black Market divided into parts. I suppose when you reach a certain score, you'll get invited or discover a higher tier market. Don't forget to change the background screen each time you move up a tier. Also wondering if you could make the final market in the late-game one that only lets you buy in large quantities. You cannot buy a single weapon, you have to buy 20 or more since you're high up with the Corporations at that point. Promotes manufacturing ;)

About knocking out enemies. If the UFOextender lets you do it with any weapon you're holding, I'm sure Warboy won't have trouble getting it in, hopefully soon. I'd like this feature as well.

How does manufacturing work when it comes to making a better weapon? I suggest when discovering the new weapon in the Battlescape, It should be usable right away, but when you take it back to base, you have to research it, so your Brains can disassemble it and show the Runts how to make them with a blueprint.

Ok I'll let you do your work now. You don't have to reply to this one. Just take them into consideration.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 03:46:08 am »
Here's a few more I'll throw in:

Q.You should count your own armored dead as loot for manufacturing.

A.I'm considering it for the future, but again, it is a real hassle with how intricate the corpse mechanics are. It'll be done during a general corpse overhaul... I would certainly welcome a morbid artist willing to paint Bigobs for 50+ types of corpses :P

Q.Also love the idea of the Black Market divided into parts. I suppose when you reach a certain score, you'll get invited or discover a higher tier market. Don't forget to change the background screen each time you move up a tier. Also wondering if you could make the final market in the late-game one that only lets you buy in large quantities. You cannot buy a single weapon, you have to buy 20 or more since you're high up with the Corporations at that point. Promotes manufacturing ;)

A.Yeah, this could work per score too. Unfortunately current OpenXcom does not support any variability in the purchase list.

Q. How does manufacturing work when it comes to making a better weapon? I suggest when discovering the new weapon in the Battlescape, It should be usable right away, but when you take it back to base, you have to research it, so your Brains can disassemble it and show the Runts how to make them with a blueprint.

A. Yeah that's how it works currently, more or less. Most weapons are useable without researching, the research gives you Pedia entry and the ability to manufacture ammo. I just have to make this more universal (right now it only applies to hi-tec weapons).

Oh yeah, and 0.64 will be up in a few minutes... some cool updates tonight!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.65
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:17 am »
New version up, inventory is being build up before the major economy overhaul...

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:06 am »
Wowww nice screen! I'll check it out this time. Let us know when you have a list of music tracks we can use to replace the default music. Any kind of music, as long as it fits your vision. Later I'm sure you'll end up inspiring someone to make some music for Piratez.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 05:51:23 am »
Wowww nice screen! I'll check it out this time. Let us know when you have a list of music tracks we can use to replace the default music. Any kind of music, as long as it fits your vision. Later I'm sure you'll end up inspiring someone to make some music for Piratez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYvlHrPaugU :)

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 08:00:37 am »
Very nice work, but some of the backgrounds are too graphic for my taste... still, you did a good job, and all I ask for is a less revealing version of the backgrounds.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.66
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
Very nice work, but some of the backgrounds are too graphic for my taste... still, you did a good job, and all I ask for is a less revealing version of the backgrounds.

...Hey, the slightly-NSFW version of the battlescape background was DISABLED and left in the game files by pure accident! Not my fault you went looking for it, Sir!

New version is up, next stop: radical overhaul of the starting setup and economy to a more loot- and manufacture-based model.

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.66
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2014, 07:04:38 pm »

...Hey, the slightly-NSFW version of the battlescape background was DISABLED and left in the game files by pure accident! Not my fault you went looking for it, Sir!

I was referring to the black market background, I hadn't even known the one you were talking about existed...