aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 760072 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.73
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »
I didn't get that at all. Just a drained battery that didn't even provide a research topic.

That's because UAC Blueprints are a random drop, you're in no way guaranteed to get them. Drained batteries are a neccesary workaround - OpenXCom is smarter than modder and automatically deletes any ammo it finds 'unnecesary' from the enemies' inventories; and the enemies running around with loaded BFG's would ruin the whole idea.

Offline Claireity

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »
Speaking of which, I found another... that I can't interact with in any way. Any ship that goes to it just hovers there and does nothing. Interceptors won't attack, landing craft can't do anything. What's the deal?

Also, I sincerely hope that it's luke's extra UFOs that decided it'd be 'funny' to put a swastika shaped ship in the game and not you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:51:28 pm by Claireity »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »
Yeah it was me who put that ship in, I can't really say what's wrong with shooting Nazis though.

Offline Claireity

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »
Well, aside from me being afraid it was going to crash my game with names like STR_SMALL_NAZI when it appeared, a little bit poor taste all the same. But it's your decision and I won't argue with you about it.

What about the unapproachable UAC ship though? Do you need my save to see what I mean?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2014, 04:27:16 am »
yeah, i'm pretty sure depictions and symbols of nazism are flat-out banned in germany, i guess it's a bit of a culturally tender spot

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2014, 12:10:54 am »
Please send me the save, although I can't really promise when this new issue will be resolved as currently I don't have the time to work on the mod.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »
This mod is really great!

Two comments from me:

1. The mod is very difficult. Terror missions and medium UFOs are nearly not beatable with low tech. I tried the beginner difficulty, but the terror missions still  kill me. The reason is that there are not enough small UFOs in Jan. and Feb. with which you could train your troops and gather some improved guns. You might increase the small UFO appearence on the low difficulties to make the game a little bit easier.

2. I like the melee weapons a lot. the hammer is excellent for making holes in buildings, with the chainsaw you can easily enter a wooden barn through the wall. It is great. In that way with a sabre/cutlass it should be possible to mow down hedges. However, you can use it only against living targets. (Probably this is, because it is another weapon type in your ruleset).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2014, 11:20:28 pm »
Thanks!

1. Sure it is difficult but as you can see on my YT let's play, perfectly beatable on Superhuman :) Terror missions indeed can be a bitch, but not on low difficulties, where you don't run into risk of too many cyberdiscs/power armor to handle... You absolutely need dynamite and smoke grenades (dynamite->everything), and you need to take advantage of increased mobility (axe->power armor). If things get too hairy, do not shy from running away. You need to pay much more attention to strenghts and weaknesses of your weapons and soldiers than in vanilla. Losses are nigh-impossible to avoid. This is definitely not a casual mod, but I think it gives the player a fair chance. I've tried to avoid cheap tricks like convoluted maps or irrecoverable weapons.
Sadly, there is no connection between difficulty and the number/type of UFOs so it's quite irrelevant. The difficulty only influences the number of enemies that spawn and, to a lesser degree, their stats.

2. This is an engine thing. Only ranged weapons can target terrain, and I really don't want to make more melee weapons ranged. Besides, if I did so, you swords would eventually have the ability to smash through UFO walls :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:26:06 pm by Dioxine »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2014, 11:46:21 pm »
Well I started a campaign, my first mission is successful, but then the second one is a terror event, and I see reapers ? I Nope-ed, because I knew I'ds never have the ammo in the skyranger to complete it.

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:49 am »
I've played through half the game on superhuman, its really hard in the beginning but it can be done. However this was in the times of the first versions of this great mod, have not tried it with the current one. Unfortunately I have little time to play atm but I will certainly start a new campaign with the newest version when I find the time. :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2014, 06:37:50 pm »
I hope everything is coming along fine. I will play again when you add some fresh tilesets. I'm not much for game testing, since I get very impatient and I lack the time, so I choose what I play wisely :(

Offline EkuDza

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2014, 01:29:20 pm »
It's a great mod, but it'd be even better if there was an option to persuade factions, that employed "Zero Tolerance" policy, that they are wrong. I understand that it doesn't fit in the original game's mechanics. But it's The Pirate mod! Why are the pirates so loving and tender (read: pansies), that they don't want to persuade others by force, if they have the ability?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2014, 03:24:49 am »
They don't have the ability. That's the premise. An open war means death. It's stated pretty clearly in the Pedia I believe...
Also, it's impossible to directly influence countries, there's no such function in the engine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:26:48 am by Dioxine »

Offline Taberone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2014, 03:21:59 am »
Is this modification Safe For Work now? (I think its the Piratez "Alien Activity" screen I'm referring to.)

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2014, 03:31:35 am »
Is this modification Safe For Work now? (I think its the Piratez "Alien Activity" screen I'm referring to.)

I don't think any game is safe for work.