aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 758570 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.g - 24 Apr - Crewed fighters
« Reply #1080 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:52 pm »
EDIT2: I also got this on a terror mission:
"Map block is not the size specified MAPS/AREA51BASE80.MAP is 20x20, expected 10x10"

Dioxine you need to update the Piratez_Planet.rul and change this (on mapScripts/AREA51URBAN):
Code: [Select]
      blocks: [56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81]
Into this:
Code: [Select]
      blocks: [56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79]

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:34 pm »
If you don't have two or four Heavy Lasers, better run :P

Heavy lazers be damned! One of those things can

Spoiler:
-resist 8 direct hits on its back side from a heavy lazers
Spoiler:
-eat at least 3 elerium granades and not even flinch
Spoiler:
-I lost count of how many RPG rockets their tank ate to the face and just trolled me (combined with elerium grenades and acid vials

But after a million restarts, blood shed and tears, I finaly found the magic weapon that kicks their asses
Spoiler:
gauss
...Well not really cause their stats must be maxed out. But at least you can kill most of them with 4-5 shots. How lucky I was that I raided that academy base as early as I did!
Spoiler:
I have a gut feeling that made them also immune to smoke and they can see through it right?

Its been years since a game made feel so desperate. Now I am scared to continue...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:45:49 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1082 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:09 pm »
Fixed that Sectopod and Area51, thanks guys.

Against tanks, well. Explosives or acid do not work well :) Naturally immune to smoke, they're no puny unarmored humans. No enemies can see through smoke, it is not possible. Yet. :) Nah if you have already experienced the Mercs, nothing much worse can happen. Except the Star Gods.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:48:19 pm by Dioxine »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 25, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »
Fixed that Sectopod and Area51, thanks guys.

Against tanks, well. Explosives or acid do not work well :) No enemies can see through smoke, it is not possible. Yet. :)

Well I dont know what the hell happened, but they could draw a bead and snipe me 2 screens away without prior vision, or shooting them myself inside the smoke cloud. I am brutaly traumatized by the experience.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1084 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:30 pm »
They can fly, and smoke usally forms flat ground-level clouds. Brutal, that's their second name.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 25, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »
They can fly, and smoke usally forms flat ground-level clouds. Brutal, that's their second name.

It crossed my mind but my snipers were holed up on the bony's roof...which explains again what an idiot I am because they can fly higher:

#*$)#^@@#@.

You should add psionics on them, its the only thing they are missins.Seriously no pretty please!!!!!!!!!

But seriously now:
Spoiler:
two heavy gauss autoshots pointblank and the captain wouldnt go down.

Fistykuffs got him in the end...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:01:44 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1086 on: April 25, 2015, 10:08:23 pm »
They're just a bit buffed-up Mutons, and nothing like Hellrazor has created for his Cydonia mission :) Psionics, don't be ridiculous. That's Star Gods' domain (and you better avoid them).

Oh yeah and regarding Annihilator's repair, it gives you a Power Armor corpse :P

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 25, 2015, 10:11:12 pm »
They're just a bit buffed-up Mutons

Yeah a bit buffed-up...I am gonna cry in my corner now....

Psionics, don't be ridiculous. That's Star Gods' domain (and you better avoid them).

After seeing what solarius did to the Etherials on his own cydonia mission I decided to preserve my sanity by playing with LoS psionics. If that doesnt help with your mod too....Well to the asylum with Pilot we go!

But I will finish the damn run or die trying.

OH BTW I got the 001 ancient log entry or somesuch. Tell the artist and the guy that wrote the text in it, that I had my stomach turning in disqust. No not because the text and the image were not good, on the contrary they were perfect in dilivering the message they were supposed to, hense my revulsion.

Is there a way to extract the image without the text from the files?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:20:21 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1088 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:41 pm »
The person who wrote all the text be me (except some faction members texts by Solarius Scorch), and I agree it is a mighty fine picture, not sure where I have it from though. You can access all graphical data in the resources/piratez/ folder (Pedia pictures in the /Pedia subfolder, if you really want to spoil this stuff for yourself) :)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 25, 2015, 10:54:32 pm »
The person who wrote all the text be me (except some faction members texts by Solarius Scorch), and I agree it is a mighty fine picture, not sure where I have it from though. You can access all graphical data in the resources/piratez/ folder (Pedia pictures in the /Pedia subfolder, if you really want to spoil this stuff for yourself) :)

And mighty fine job ya did Cap'n.
Nah I just want the pic, its awefully decadent. I really cant express it but it disturbs me somehow. Which is what it must do I guess.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1090 on: April 25, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »
After seeing what solarius did to the Etherials on his own cydonia mission I decided to preserve my sanity by playing with LoS psionics. If that doesnt help with your mod too....Well to the asylum with Pilot we go!

It will help an awful lot, but I don't care either way - vanilla psionics is broken either way (LoS limitation castrates it but it's only a half-solution, as it makes psionics boring & next to useless), this stuff will be handled properly with OXCom Extended version, for now consider psionics a placeholder... ugh looks like I badly need to move to the extended build soon :) I'm playing with normal psionics rules, just not using psi much myself, the Star Gods aren't any stronger in psi than normal Ethereals (if a bit more killy and fearless), it's just you can't have psi-monsters yourself (Psi Strength is 25-65 instead of 1-100, and Skill is capped at 50, these both can be buffed a bit by some types of armor though).

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 26, 2015, 03:30:58 am »
Advancing the mod.
Spoiler:
Finally, after of in-game months, I got the elusive Star God Coordinator, from a Cruiser fully staffed by dammed plasma-totting Star Gods units and Sectopods. As the SGC looks the same as any other of his robed brethren, I had to MC each of them. Good thing I was prepared as each of my 10 gals for the mission was a top tier Voodoo Witch.

By the way, I love the CONQUEROR ship. It is really a interplanetary vessel. And a thirsty one :).
But when you have cash reserves close to a billion, buying 2.5K of nuclear fuel is trivial.

Now, I'm sad it's over :) The Brain is dead after a few consecutive blaster bombs and one dragon suicide shot.

Also something to be improved?:
Spoiler:
The text for the transition between Mars surface and the brain base ("Mars: The final assault"), kinds of breaks character as I believe still looks like the original text from XCom.

Also, I think something is funny with the Brain level map settings. See pic.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:03:19 am by Alex_D »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1092 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:25 am »
Thanks for the pointers, these problems have been fixed. Yeah might be a disappointment, but I'm on the fence here, I could make the final mission harder/longer, but on the other hand, the player shouldn't be tormented in that last mission, he deserves better (and he can just shut the game off after landing on Mars anyway, if he knows that the final mission is tedious & long). Ideally I'd want the player to have his hardest battle 'bossfight' earlier, possibly required to get the last crucial tech, but not sure yet how one could do it.

Oh yeah and just asking - how did you get so much money? What your bases looked like at the end? How much time it took?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:22:59 am by Dioxine »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 27, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »
I suggest addind a Snap shot mode for slow/heavy Sniper Rifles (Sniper Rifle, Custom Snipin Gun, Python) to allow dedicated marksmen reaction shots if set up is right (full TU, proper facing, enemy spent most TU on killing someone else and so on).

Make it over 51% TU cost, may be even equal to Aimed shot TU cost, so said rifles still would be limited to 1 shot per turn.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1094 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:40 pm »
Still not convinced. I don't want half of the squad totting sniper rifles and the lack of snapshot is one of the very few things that makes such a setup unwise, with how powerful & accurate these weapons are. They aren't supposed to be best firearms, just specialized firearms, and adding a snap shot would require a major nerf of the aimed shot to keep balance. After all, assault rifles are mostly good only because they blend a fairy good aimed shot with the ability to fire snap shots & autoshots (with SMGs being usually better for autoshots, but lacking good aimed shot). Such a buff of sniper rifles would make assault rifles obsolete IMO. You want a reaction snapshot on a dedicated sniper? A pistol with a single clip isn't that heavy, is it? :)