Author Topic: Points for Ship shot down by Base Defense.  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Mori

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Points for Ship shot down by Base Defense.
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »
I decided I wanted to start modding this game to make a unique campaign for it eventually, but for now I want to start a little small so I understand the basics of modding the game....because I can find no actual instructions on how to start teaching myself this stuff anywhere.

I've decided to make an improvement to the base defense modules mod that has 3 steps.

Step 1: Disabling the check box when one is shot down. 
Step 2: Points received for shooting down battleships (eventually other ships) with base defenses.
Step 3: Allow base defenses to attack ships that come within a certain radius of the base, even if they are not on retaliation missions.

Any suggestions on how one would proceed with these mods?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Points for Ship shot down by Base Defense.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:11 pm »
I decided I wanted to start modding this game to make a unique campaign for it eventually, but for now I want to start a little small so I understand the basics of modding the game....because I can find no actual instructions on how to start teaching myself this stuff anywhere.

I've decided to make an improvement to the base defense modules mod that has 3 steps.

Step 2: Points received for shooting down battleships (eventually other ships) with base defenses.
Step 3: Allow base defenses to attack ships that come within a certain radius of the base, even if they are not on retaliation missions.

Welcome~!
The last won't happen, the game just isn't made this way (or so I think). It probably would mean rewriting a significant part of the Geoscape module.
The first one... I don't understand what you mean, sorry!
The second one: I have no idea, but I fully agree!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:16:15 pm »
I wouldn't want to reveal my base if I can shoot at every nearby UFO. I'm sure the rest of the world that isn't in a council pact with X-COM will attempt to shoot any UFO down with cold war weaponry. Let them do it :)

I also like the second one. More points means closer to the end 8)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:16:15 am »
points for UFOs shot down by base defenses sounds like something that should be in if it isn't already... i'll look into it. other than that, you'll have to get coding if you want to see those.

Offline Mori

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:18 am »
Welcome~!
The last won't happen, the game just isn't made this way (or so I think). It probably would mean rewriting a significant part of the Geoscape module.
The first one... I don't understand what you mean, sorry!
The second one: I have no idea, but I fully agree!

The first means it removed the check box when the battleship is shot down, so they don't send an endless wave of battleships at you. (This is to prevent building a ton of fusion ball defenses, then grinding battleships for endless points).

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:56:45 am »

3 is probably the only one that would require massive changes to how the geoscape works. I'd be surprised if 1 hasn't been fixed already.

X-com doesn't have a campaign so much as it has randomly generated skirmishes and a less random finale. Modding in specific missions requires you to tie them to a UFO (like my cult mod) or alter the existing special missions (the finale). You do have a bit of choice in how these missions work as you can choose to always use a mapset or base the terrain on where the UFO went down and you can customise the deployment/mission data to use the enemies you want.

Multiple-stage missions like those in TFTD are impossible though. It just won't start the second part (from a UFO mission at least).