aliens

Author Topic: A few ideas  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Omegan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
A few ideas
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
Hello guys,
First of all thanks for great remastering of the legend game like X-Com is.

OpenXcom is SO perfect for me except two things:
1) Why soldiers are stopping their moving when they see already spotted alien? In situations when I need to move many soldiers to some place, where alien was spotted, each of them is stop when see that alien (because when alien was spotted the game is cancel the moving route)... so every time I need re-point the destination. If that is necessary for some players to be like that, please add an option in additional settings like:
"Continue moving if alien was already spotted {YES/NO}"

2) Let’s pretend I set a group of snipers (or psi-soldiers) near each other to shoot (or make psi attacks on) alien hostile forces. So when I see the target and need make shots (or make psi attack), I need click each solider (to make that I need move screen to the soldier and click it OR press the button for NEXT/PREVIOUS soldier, in that case cursor + camera is also will be focused on the soldier). So as you may see every time I need jump among the place of target and place of the soldiers.
In my opinion would be much easy to make shoot (or psi action) by switching soldiers WITHOUT focusing camera on it (it is like soldiers are switching behind the main screen, but camera show me place of the target). After that player can easy make an action with hot keys (left/right hand) or click the action icons without any camera jumps.
Many RTS-games (for example StarCraft 1 or 2) is using that feature, like you don't need move camera to the structure, because you can select it on the distance and make all action you need  :)
To solve that issue I'm see two ways:
#1 Make switch among soldiers without moving camera like [Alt or Ctrl or Shift] + [Next/Previous], but [Next/Previous] buttons are still switch soldiers normal way (camera is focusing on the picked soldier);
#2 Make switch among soldiers without moving camera with two ADDITIONAL special buttons [Next/Previous]. So old and common [Next/Previous] buttons will be still switch soldiers normal way (camera is focusing on the picked soldier) and 2 new buttons will be switching soldiers without moving camera from place where I'm at;

3) Also a bit weird, but I use to alien show that sequence during the game: Sectoids - Snakemen(/Floaters) - Floaters (/Snakemen) - Mutons - Ethereals.
So when I played OpenXcom (difficulty: SuperHuman) and finished it, I noticed that SnakeMen are most rare type of aliens for all kind of missions. Maybe it is just a random... but still I wonder why?
As i remember Ethereals in original X-Com were most rare, but SnakeMen/Floaters/Mutons were most common types.

P.S. Sorry for my deep and detailed explanation, just want to make clear all that I was meaning  ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:11:40 pm by Omegan »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: A few ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:34:37 pm »
Hello guys,
First of all thanks for great remastering of the legend game like X-Com is.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

OpenXcom is SO perfect for me except two things:
1) Why soldiers are stopping their moving when they see already spotted alien? In situations when I need to move many soldiers to some place, where alien was spotted, each of them is stop when see that alien (because when alien was spotted the game is cancel the moving route)... so every time I need re-point the destination. If that is necessary for some players to be like that, please add an option in additional settings like:
"Continue moving if alien was already spotted {YES/NO}"

It took me some time, but I actually like the way it works now. When I move soldiers to a firing position, they stop by themselves when they're ready.

(...) In my opinion would be much easy to make shoot (or psi action) by switching soldiers WITHOUT focusing camera on it (it is like soldiers are switching behind the main screen, but camera show me place of the target). After that player can easy make an action with hot keys (left/right hand) or click the action icons without any camera jumps.
Many RTS-games (for example StarCraft 1 or 2) is using that feature, like you don't need move camera to the structure, because you can select it on the distance and make all action you need  :)
To solve that issue I'm see two ways:
#1 Make switch among soldiers without moving camera like [Alt or Ctrl or Shift] + [Next/Previous], but [Next/Previous] buttons are still switch soldiers normal way (camera is focusing on the picked soldier);
#2 Make switch among soldiers without moving camera with two ADDITIONAL special buttons [Next/Previous]. So old and common [Next/Previous] buttons will be still switch soldiers normal way (camera is focusing on the picked soldier) and 2 new buttons will be switching soldiers without moving camera from place where I'm at;

I don't have anything against new functions that won't break the game, but I don't think I would use this one. I'm not a control freak (at least compared to my fellow gamers), but I still wouldn't fire a weapon without checking the position of the shooter first. If moving the camera is too tiresome, I use the minimap as a way to move around the battlescape fast.
And I'm fairly sure nobody would like to work on the GUI, for various reasons.

3) Also a bit weird, but I use to alien show that sequence during the game: Sectoids - Snakemen(/Floaters) - Floaters (/Snakemen) - Mutons - Ethereals.
So when I played OpenXcom (difficulty: SuperHuman) and finished it, I noticed that SnakeMen are most rare type of aliens for all kind of missions. Maybe it is just a random... but still I wonder why?
As i remember Ethereals in original X-Com were most rare, but SnakeMen/Floaters/Mutons were most common types.

I think it's just randomness at works, but I admit I had the same issue in my last game: first Snakemen appeared around July or August, and they were very rare afterwards.

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:32 am »
Looking at the default ruleset, Snakemen only get above a 20% chance to appear for alien base and terror missions. They actually disappear from some mission types in mid-game though they should still show up in late-game in bases, on terror missions and in the odd research mission.

So yes, if you see a Snakeman there's probably a Chrysalid as well.  :P

Offline hszp

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • szabopeter@github
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
1. (Stop on spotting aliens) This one would be probably quite easy to implement the way you described it.
However, there is something a bit more complex similar to this that may still be worth implementing: keep track of soldier destinations and make it possible to just continue the movement, preferably even across turns.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »
1. (Stop on spotting aliens) This one would be probably quite easy to implement the way you described it.
However, there is something a bit more complex similar to this that may still be worth implementing: keep track of soldier destinations and make it possible to just continue the movement, preferably even across turns.

This is certainly doable, but OpenXCom maps are smaller than in many similar games, so it's not really as necessary. OXC has really good UI, inherited from the original game, so I wouldn't worry.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:53 pm »
About issue 2 (multiple soldiers having to target same spot), I think one improvement would be to add keyboard shortcuts for saving and re-loading a camera position. This wouldn't disrupt the graphical UI.

Offline Omegan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »
Looking at the default ruleset, Snakemen only get above a 20% chance to appear for alien base and terror missions. They actually disappear from some mission types in mid-game though they should still show up in late-game in bases, on terror missions and in the odd research mission.

So yes, if you see a Snakeman there's probably a Chrysalid as well.  :P

Hehe I payed attention that Snakemen are rare, because missed about mighty Chrysalid on the terror or any other missions :D
Svanh, you are right man. I checked Xcom1Ruleset.rul before and found interesting things (it is from place there is "alienmissions:" situated), like Snakemen race has been gone from most types of missions (even earlier missions like that was in original X-com). So in my own local file (Xcom1Ruleset.rul) i changed race's weights to let Snakemen come often and a bit increased chance of met the Ethreal race (In attachment i added file Race_weights.xls that show setting in Xcom1Ruleset.rul before (original) and after (new))

About issue 2 (multiple soldiers having to target same spot), I think one improvement would be to add keyboard shortcuts for saving and re-loading a camera position. This wouldn't disrupt the graphical UI.

Agree, I didn't meant to remove normal soldier's switching, I meant to add that feature. Every player has it own style of playing, so i think that will be just small improvement for management in tactic mode, and that will help to do less clicks and be more effective.

By the way here is situation that explain why useful to switch soldiers without focusing:
Let's pretend i have 6 psi soldiers which are just staying at some safe place (like Avenger or some kind of shelter). So when my Scout-soldier is found some hostile enemy outside and i need to do psi-action on it (enemy), in that situation I don't need to know where are my psi-soldiers situated (I know they are safe and staying, for example, near each other) only I care to do lot of successful psi-hits. So no needs to do lot of useless jump among target and soldiers.

So, yrizoud, agree that UI won't be touched, because it is small add for keyboard shortcuts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:57:43 pm by Omegan »