Author Topic: v1.0  (Read 19672 times)

Offline hszp

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • szabopeter@github
v1.0
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:10 pm »
"When will v1.0 be released?" - I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.
Could SupSuper or someone else sum up what is between now and the much expected release?
What features do you want to complete, how many bugs need to be fixed?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
Re: v1.0
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »
It will be released no sooner than "when it's done".

However, the roadmap is something I would like to know too.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:20:22 pm »
I'm not to bothered personally. version numbers are just numbers, I just look forward to the new updates and hopefully mod merges (mainly Shoes stats/medals)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
Warboy recently updated the changelog, https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/CHANGELOG.txt

Some things may have been missed, due to him being human.

I'm not to bothered personally. version numbers are just numbers, I just look forward to the new updates and hopefully mod merges (mainly Shoes stats/medals)

:3 I also look forward to publishing my mod in an accessible way!

Offline hszp

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • szabopeter@github
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »
It's true that the version number does not represent much to those who follow the project closely and upgrade often.
To everyone else however, a nice round version number means that the project is in a state not just worth trying but worth using.
He can start a game without worrying about savegame compatibility breaking tomorrow and the fix to yesterdays bug arriving the day after tomorrow.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:17:50 pm »
It's mostly usability stuff to reduce the typical problems whenever someone new tries a release for the first time.

Quote from: openxcom.txt
- New Options GUI to bring popular "hidden" options to the front.
- Revise option descriptions/defaults based on user feedback.
- Make Windows installer automatically patch old UFO data and support Adlib music (gets around SDL_Mixer issue).
- Check on palette bugs.
- Check on music / volume bugs.
- Add common failure scenarios to Loading screen and make error messages more informative.
- Review any pending UI / usability issues that might be worth including.
- Final check for serious bugs / crashes.
- Final localization inspection.
- Final changelog update.
- Trailer?
- Ship it.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:55 pm »
Oh snap a trailer too?!

Start with slow music, showing off the newest features on the geoscape.
It gets faster and louder showing off new features on the battlescape.
Epic climax symphony playing while showing 2 second video clips of tense battlescape situations and showing off weapon mods.
Then at last the music goes down again softly showing off how easy it'll be to mod the game, then the URL to the official modding website and how easy it is to upload mods, and other reasons you need to be part of the OXC community.
The last 5 seconds will be for the OpenXcom clothing-line and coffee mugs.

Miss anything?

Offline hszp

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • szabopeter@github
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:50 pm »
Great, thanks SupSuper!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:53:55 pm »
yeah i can't give you anything concrete, mostly i watch let's plays in languages i don't understand and keep an eye out for inconsistencies and usability issues.
i've kinda run out of personal landmarks at this stage so i'm just tidying up and double checking everything to make sure it's all as vanilla as possible.
there are still a handful of issues i'd like to deal with, like the missing/wrong frames on the muton animations, explosion propegation in bigwalls, some grenade AI stuff maybe...

when i'm not doing that i'm working on my own mod.

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:12:39 am »
then the URL to the official modding website and how easy it is to upload mods

The wizard cave ninja is making great progress in this area.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:46 pm »
But when v1.0 is done, you`re going to TFTD, don`t you?  ;)

volutar

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:15 pm »
- Scrollbars (proper scrollbars for lists and dropdown menus)
- Proper indentation for multilined lists
- Dropdown menu size (currently it's hardcoded to 7).
- Geoscape/battlescape/basescape resolutions
- Naming of base resolutions like: original, 480x300, 640x400, x1:XXXxYYY, x2:XXXxYYY, x3:XXXxYYY, x4:XXXxYYY (xN mean pixel zoom, and XXXxYYY is resolution for autoresized screen contents, considering zoom level). In sake of making translation hell less hellish (it's not possible to translate "to window" that short) - numbers don't need to be translated at all.
- Proper basescape menu rearranging, fitting whole screen (at least vertically) - it is possible
+ Making window contents automatically rearranged without getting into "options" each time after window resize
+ Adlib music emulator embedding (as custom sdl music player), without need to download 35mb of non quite legal data.
- Soldier position "helper" for craft crew list. Also in equipment screen (including pre-battle) - somethinglike in attachment.

Gentlemen! "1.0" traditionally means "complete", and without those frankly it won't be complete, and I doubt - deserves that name.
Perhaps, "0.99"?.. Seeing 1.0 with lots of unfinished things (like scrollbars,  or intuitive, bug-free scaling) personally for me, it will be... a shame, to say the least. That hurrying tells me, that most probably it will be exactly that. And I simply don't wish openxcom release to be such a flaw. Thus I'm calling for a wisdom. I see how project is crying for next milestone release, but I believe it better not to be called "1.0".
Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:38:48 pm by volutar »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:29:56 am »
Tough.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:56 am »
and unfair.  One of the goals of this project is to be faithful to the original Xcom UI.  Many of these "requirements" are expressly counter to that goal.  1.0 should be whatever the devs deem worthy of that title.

Edit: I realized I may have interpreted "tough" incorrectly.  If it is the other meaning, +1
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:57:48 am by myk002 »

volutar

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 06:41:31 am »
  Many of these "requirements" are expressly counter to that goal.
Lies. I was one of developers, and without me this project wouldn't get to that level of faithfulness. Ask Warboy.

1.0 should be whatever the devs deem worthy of that title.
Sure, and that will show the level if their wisdom I'm calling for, or in opposite - the level of shame.

It's like making graduation party without passing exams, or without even finishing all needed tests. I wouldn't wish that for anyone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:50:15 am by volutar »