aliens

Author Topic: Editing Geoscape textures???  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Editing Geoscape textures???
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
So I'm having a problem swapping Geoscape textures.

Sorry I'm reviving this topic, but reading previous topics on this matter didn't help...

I extracted the Texture.dat using PCKView just fine (the extract as one picture option doesn't work, though), but when I'm trying to replace one of the bmp files in the program's window, like it says in the manual, it just shows me an error message... And I don't know how to pack the whole folder up into a new texture.dat after modyfying it.
XCView can't even load the Texture.dat properly...
With the ConvMisc program, I had even less luck - it plain just bombed out when I asked it to unpack texture.dat (some sort of Red Green Blue Java palette error or something).

What am I doing wrong here?

Edit:

Trying to compose a texture.dat file from a batch of .gifs using bbtoolkit returns me with an error "color parameter outside of expected range: Red Green Blue"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:42:34 pm by Dioxine »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Geoscape textures???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:21 am »
TEXTURE.DAT is a single uncompressed image, so you can probably load it with most extractors by treating it as a 32x1248 SCR file.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Geoscape textures???
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:57 am »
you could probably define it in extraSprites and just use a plain gif/png/bmp/something rather than recompressing it into the dat file